IMAX2 - Flying Jacks

Runcrazy

Cathlete
So the one interval I've struggled with on IMAX2 is the flying jacks in Interval 5. I have finally reached a point where I'm sort of flying but for whatever reason cannot get my legs "out there" like I'd like. I guess I should just be happy I'm doing some flying! Anyhoo, I was just wondering if any of you have completely mastered the flying jacks and what your secret to success is or how you've continued to improve. I found that if I squatted a little more, to get more power behind the jack jump, I improved but I may always be hopeless when it comes to that kind of jumping!

When I first saw Cathe doing the airborn jacks in #5 I never ever thought I would be able to do them. I don't think I have ever done anything like those even when I was younger, and at 41 years of age I didn't think it was possible. For a long time I just did jumping jacks. Then one day it hit me that I felt strong enough to do them, so I did, and I could do them!! At first I couldn't do all of them or as high. But as I practiced they became easier and easier. I think it was just a matter of my legs developing enough strength to do them. I used to dread them, but now they are one of my favorite moves. So just keep practicing and you will find them easier and easier to do. Have fun!!:D

I had my baptism of fire with flying jacks with interval #10 on Interval Max The Original (I call interval #10 "The Doom Interval"), so by the time I-Max 2 and Boot Camp came out I was pretty okay with them.

Squatting a little more to build up the power in the legs is a good idea. If you're still struggling with them, I would suggest focusing on propelling off the floor (the actual jump) for the time being rather than the jump AND the abduction of the legs at the top of the flying jack. Once you're comfortable with those, then add in abduction. One thing I had to let go of was expecting the same range of motion in the leg abduction that Cathe gets; if my legs abduct to a 40-degree angle I'm happy. (Cathe seems to do a full split at the top!)

Probably the best way to get good at flying jacks is to do them at least once a week, thru I-Max 2, I-Max 1 and Boot Camp.

Keep up the good work!

A-Jock

What helps is to really get your arms up & in a big circle helping you to propel yourself up & out into that "flying jack." And yes do squat a little deeper & PUSH YOURSELF UP. Keep working at it even if you can't do all of what Cathe does do one more each time you do it & you'll see you'll get there. I still got my own problems over here in trying to do those dreaded "toe tap straddle thingies" LOL Good luck! Best, Kathy:D

Hi Runcrazy! I just saw your post and it made me think of my friend who also is working her hardest to improve her flying jacks. She said to me the other day that she is convinced that she simply has webbed legs. I cracked up so hard. But seriously, it will make you feel better to know that some people simply have more fast twitch muscle fiber in their genetic makeup which is highly responsive to explosive and powerful movements. But don't give up, you can still get there if you want to. Take it a "jack" at a time and don't worry about how high you go. The EFFORT put into your jump is what burns the calories, take care :)

I found that the longer I stayed in the Blast rotation Cathe posted with the Intensity series the easier these became. I did not always do Imax2 because I wanted to get my runs in there too so I think it was more from PLB. That tape gave me a lot of strength and i think that is what really improved my proformance overall in Imax2.

I totally agree with what Cathe says because I consider myself very advanced as far as cardio goes, but when it comes to those Plyo jax or the plie thingies she does after the three hops straddling the board, my legs just do not want to come off the floor. It is a battle between me & them! :p I could straddle tap, Power 15, or jumping jack til the cows come home but put those other moves in and it really challenges me. I do see that when I keep them in my rotation regularly, they do get easier. NOT EASY! I am gasping for air when done. Sooo, I guess I am just saying you are not alone and it isn't that you aren't fit. Keep at it and know that I am too! :7
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'll just keep at it - I can do all the other intervals, no sweat, but me and flying - well I'll just keep trying! Also, my absolute favorite interval is the straddle taps - love, love, love those and could do them all day!

Thank you again!:7 :7

I can't do those flying jacks either!! Not even when I'm NOT tired - I think it's just that I'm not very flexible (even when sitting on the floor and stretching, I can't get my legs apart very far!!)

One of the Cathe-ites with whom I've had dinner several times told me what her son asked her when he watched her do flying jacks:

"Mom, don't you know your feet are supposed to leave the ground?"

A-Jock
:7 :7 :7 :7 :7

Kids can be brutally honest!

sport23.gif

Judy

Love and hate them--they remind me of my cheerleading days, but by the time I get to the third set, I doubt I get any air! They really push me up over my max HR, but I love how I feel during the recovery.

Lori :)

Step Queen made a good point regardng flexibility. Stretching the adductors (inner thighs) will help with greater ranges of motion through abduction.

Cathe's comment about fast twitch fibers is correct as well. As a former gymnast with powerful legs, plyometrics were a snap for me, but it took me a LONG time to learn to move gracefully and be "light-footed" through the dancier based choregraphy like triple steps, etc. I am taking hip-hop class now and talk about a learning curve! Suddenly I have a much greater respect for Britney Spears!! :D :D

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.