I'm yawning during workouts???

coraldiver2000

I don't know why, but when I work out - I yawn. Constantly. It's distracting. Seems like the higher the impact, the more yawning I do. And it doesn't matter if it's a step workout, weights or just running a few miles.

I am getting about 7 hours sleep a night on average with a few nights getting more like 9 thanks to DOH making the kids breakfast on the weekends. I'm concerned it's not normal and may be a sign of oxygen intake issues with my health?

I'm wondering if anyone else does this or can tell me why? Or am I just a hypochondriac?

coral

We yawn when we're trying to increase our oxygen levels. Your body is trying to increase the oxygen.... so try breathing more deeply. Are you holding your breath as you concentrate? I know I tend to do this...

OMG... that is SO funny because I was just thinking about that last night... after I had yawned for the 6th or 7th time during my workout! I guess I am so focused on keeping good form and keep up that I'm not really sure if I am breating or not! LOL! although now that you mention it, it's more like a gasp and gulp for air (Cathe really kicks my butt!) so I'm huffin & puffin shortly after I start any workout of hers...

I just thought it humorous that others do this too! Thanks Coral for sharing that! we can yawn together tonite!

Thanks Shani for the explaination.. makes good sense, just never thought about it... just one more thing to be aware of... guess if you are yawning, you are at least still breathin'! :)

I figured it had something to do with the amount of oxygen I am taking in. I thought I was breathing pretty well through my workouts, but maybe not as much as I should? I will pay closer attention and see if that helps.

My oldest son makes fun of me and tells me I should probably quit doing these sissy workouts and lift weights like him. I keep telling him to try it before he knocks it but he's 14 so he knows everything. ;)

My oldest son makes fun of me and tells me I should probably quit doing these sissy workouts and lift weights like him. I keep telling him to try it before he knocks it but he's 14 so he knows everything. ;)

I hear you on your son... I have a 14 yo daughter! I feel your pain!

I noticed that when I used to yawn during workouts it was either because I was tired going into the workout which caused me to have to increase my oxygen that way or it was because I found myself over training.

If you try to count during the workout or speak with Cathe this will force you to breath during the workout. I notice that during the hardest intensity workouts I force myself to speak while Cathe is speaking, copy what she is saying while I am working out so it forces me to breathe.

Fitness experts say you should be able to speak, not in a complete sentence but at least get out understandable words during the hardest parts of a cardio workout. If you can't you are over training and need to bring it down. When I talk with Cathe it isn't pretty and not very loud, but I force myself to speak.

I know this might look very silly but when I go for runs outside with my ipod I sing along when I am at the point in the run where I would rather walk. Takes my mind off the exhaustion. Like Cathe says in Cardio kickbox, "don't worry about what you look like, just give me some"

So I've been paying attention lately and while I am breathing - I do have room for improvement. I think it may actually be a combination of not breathing enough, being too winded to take a deep enough breath and once being tired when I started to work out. However, usually once I get moving I will get a little burst of energy to perk me up a bit.

So next question is: is it better to work out in the am or pm? Lately I've been working out around late afternoon because I am at home now instead of work. At night I'm exhausted but I make myself work out because I know I need it, in the morning it takes me forever to get motivated enough to crawl out of bed, never mind doing something strenuous. And if I work out in the morning - should I eat first? I thought you needed protein an hour before a workout so you don't "bonk" during the session. So I should what - get up at 4:30 to workout at 5:30 so I can start getting dressed at 6:30?

Your dilemma is part of mine. I do work out in the am but I don't eat beforehand (at least eat as much as many recommend, and then wait) because I don't have time to wait. I get up at 3:30, get changed into workout gear and then go into the kitchen for my water and 1/4 serving of granola bar (Nature Valley Oats & Honey - approx 45 cal). It is enough to stop my blood sugar from dipping too low during/after the workout (I have hypoglycemia.) I am working out by 3:45-4am depending on how slow I'm running. I do not get as high a calorie burn working out at this time, but it gets it done, and I do feel a mental sharpness that I don't feel when I don't workout in the AM. I am done working out by 5am and out the door by 6am to be at work by 6:45am. It works for me.

If I wait till after work, I have no time for my family or for anything but working out after getting home and making dinner. It just doesn't work. I find that the sluggishness of getting up early only lasts the first few weeks and then my body gets used to being up at that hour. 9pm is definitely my crashing time. No party girl here!

new material I just found

So I was laid off a few weeks ago and let me start by saying, our house has never been so clean and organized. As I'm cleaning out my office, I found a few magazines that I've not read but I love Fitness and Women's Health so I put them aside and I have been reading a few older issues.

Waiting for my son to come out of Wrestling practice, I see a Q & A on yawning. So excuse me while I quote from the July 2008 issue of Fitness Magazine...

"Q: Sometimes I yawn while exercising, but I'm not tired. What's the deal?"

"A: Yawning is a natural response to working out that has nothing to do with a lack of zzz's, says Gordon Gallup, Ph.D., a yawn expert (really!) and a professor at the State University of New York at Albany. A recent study shows that this is actually your body's way of cooling down. 'Your temperature rises during exercise, heating up your blood and brain,' says Gallup. 'Yawning brings in outside air, which regulates your body's thermostat.'"

I tend to do this when I exercise anaerobically for too long at a time. I dial down the intensity some and things are better. If I ignore it, I end up having breathing issues even when not exercising, so I've learned to pay attention. I do go anaerobic, but do it for short bursts and make sure I recover properly between bursts.

April

So next question is: is it better to work out in the am or pm?

I just read this yesterday in our local paper's fitness section:

Which time of day is optimal for exercise? Exercise scientists and those looking at chronobiology — how biological rhythms change in a daily cycle — nearly always give the same initial response in answering the question.

"For the general public, any time is better than no time for exercising," says Jason Blessinger, an exercise physiologist at California State University, Sacramento. "Biologically, your peak hours are usually midday.

That's because brain processes and cortisol (the hormone that regulates blood pressure and blood sugar) are at their peak awareness. Your chances of injury decrease." Michael Deschenes, a physiologist and neurobiologist at the College of William and Mary, has published considerable research on chronobiology and exercise. Deschenes' data suggest that early morning is not the best time to exercise for most people — especially those who are accustomed to running in the evening but switch after the time change.

The drawbacks, Deschenes says by phone from Virginia, "are less pronounced with moderate, aerobic-type exercise like your daily jog. The main problem is that the body's internal clock regulates core and muscle temperature to be at its lowest early in the morning."

Some chronobiologists have advised those with hypertension or cardiovascular risk factors not to exercise first thing in the morning.

Blood pressure peaks in the early morning, narrowing the arteries.

Conversely, body temperature, essential for maximum muscle efficiency, rises to its highest level around 4 p.m. Both factors point to the benefits of afternoon or early evening exercise.

Deschenes isn't so much concerned with early-morning joggers as he is with those who hit the gym for weightlifting or anaerobic sports.

"For those (sports) that involve 'explosive' muscle contractions like racquetball or basketball, it would be better if they can get some time in between crawling out of bed and starting exercising," he says.

Early-morning folks can at least take heart in knowing that a large body of research shows that the early birds are more likely to stay with their regimen than afternoon or evening exercisers.

Wow Fourteeners. That actually makes a lot of sense. The two or three times I got up early to exercise, I noticed I got tired faster. But I've been home lately and I find that I have all kinds of energy between 3 and 4 pm to do it and I'm able to lift heavier weights as well as keep up with more intensive cardio like the IMAX's. When I'm exercising after the kids go to bed, I find that if I know it's going to be a tough workout, I can find more things that need to be done around the house first. Then the next thing I know, it's after 10pm and I will make the excuse that it's too late.

OK - Another Question!! LOL... Anyone here workout in the midday or early afternoon - say during a lunch break? How do you go back to work after? I am trying to figure out how I could make a lunch workout because by the time I drive somewhere, exercise, get re-dressed (will need a shower) for work and drive back, that's 2 hours minimum.

I've tried afternoon workouts and the double showering and getting presentable nearly kills me if something is going on later that day. I definitely have more energy for the workout around 3-4 though. Huge difference... but likelihood of blowing off the workout goes up to 95%!

I like afternoon workouts- ITA that I have more energy for the IMAX blasts. BUT, I spend the rest of the evening sweaty (I'm a stay at home mom) until I shower with the kids later that night and I also am not guaranteed a workout if someone doesn't feel like napping. Plus, it hangs over my head all day- love the feeling of it being checked off my list first thing!

I used to workout at lunch time at my previous job which is my favorite time to workout. I always came back more energized and afternoons went a lot faster. But that only worked because my gym was right next door and I was able to take longer lunch breaks (made up the time, of course). Convenience is everything for me. So I quit that gym right around the time I got a new job and after I discovered Cathe. I've been working out after work ever since, about 3 years. I tried mornings but it just didn't agree with my body. Each time I tried it, it threw me off mentally and felt groggy all day.

So as the saying goes "to each his own".http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.