I'm preggers

giacchina

Just found out today and am quite excited. This will be my first - I miscarried early on about 1.5 years ago, so I'm doing the happy/worried emotional rollercoaster dance. I'm going to try to keep it from my hubby until tomorrow night since we have a night out planned. I had planned on doing Hi/Lo Heaven today, but I guess I should tone it down.

Questions for you fabulous fitmoms: When did you start to show? When do you have to start wearing "maternity" wear? Did you buy maternity fitness gear?

Congratulations!!

What exciting news!! How in the world are you going to be able to keep the news from your husband for another day?
As far as when you will show and need maternity clothes, I think it varies - depending on your height, prepregnancy weight, the way the baby is positioned, previous pregnancies, etc.
BEST WISHES!!
Erica

So happy for you, Jackie

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news. I am so happy for you.

Everyone starts to show at different stages. Usually you don't show as early with your first pregnancy. In my case, I put on a lot of fluid weight right away with my first pregnancy -- enough so that I had to go out and buy new (non-maternity) jeans. I also bought a LOT of new bras -- went from a 34C to a 44DD in the space of 6 weeks. That part was an incredible shock. But I didn't start to LOOK pregnant until I reached about 18 weeks. Until then, I just looked chubby. Everyone has a different philosophy on maternity clothes -- some people just buy a lot of loose fitting clothes or wear their husband's clothes. Personally, that would have been a more expensive option for me. By the last trimester, only maternity clothes could provide a decent fit. So why end up buying TWO sets of new clothes, you know? Borrow what you can from friends and relatives and buy some staples. Pretty maternity clothes just make you feel better, anyway. By the way, my 2nd pregnancy was a nice surprise -- I was able to keep wearing my regular sized clothes until almost 20 weeks and never had to resort to the 44DDs. Thank god. So each pregnancy is different.

As for fitness wear, I did buy some maternity fitness wear. I found it at a cheap-o maternity clothing store called Dan Howard Maternity. Cheaper than the stores at the mall, although not quite as "fashion forward." There's one in Springfield. They had workout shorts that were great. For sports bras, I bought some Champion bras. They weren't maternity, they were just really large sized. They worked great for me. Got 'em off the www.onehanesplace.com web site.

Your husband will be so happy! I can't wait until you tell him!

Best wishes,
Daphne

Congratulations!

How exciting! Wow, I don't think I would be able to hold out on telling my husband.

As everyone has stated, the answers to your questions vary greatly from person to person as well as pregnancy to pregnancy.

My experience as a first time mom. I started to show at 16 weeks but could still squeeze into my normal clothes. My bust was the main change. I went up two cup sizes. By 18 weeks I needed to wear lose fitting clothes. By 22 weeks I could wear lose clothes but looked kind of distorted in them so I switched to maternity and looked much neater in them. By 5 1/2 months had a definite pooch in front (small but definitely rounded). By 7 months I clearly looked pregnant.

Fitness clothes: Up until 3 months I could wear regular fitness clothes. 4 months I squeezed into regular fitness clothes so I broke down and bought some fitness maternity tops. By five months and up I needed extra, extra support bras and maternity tops. As far as bottoms, I did not put on too much weight there and found that I could wear my regular fitness clothes pants but had to roll them down below the belly.

Enjoy this special time
happy.gif
!

A new excuse to shop!

I'll be hitting that Dan Howard store soon. I think I'm retaining fluid and my bust has already increased at least 2". This whole pregnancy thing would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to leave the house...

Congrats Jackie

I remember our little converstion on the Christi trip when you were asking about Pregnancy workouts... and I thought hmmm...

As far as showing--- I started showing 2 seconds after I got pregnant... I'm still showing as a matter of fact... my kids are 9 and 7... go figure....

Congrats...

Lydia L

Congrats

I've been lurking here since my hubby and I have been "trying." I'm so glad to see your announcement! Have a great nine months. Hopefully, I'll be joining you soon. But - as I have found out - that is easier said than done. I'm beginning to think that anyone who says they get pregnant on accident is a liar!!

Congratulations Jackie!

Great news! I can't really offer you any advice but I just wanted to say congratulations!!

Judy

Great resource for maternity fitness clothes

Try www.fitmaternity.com. I got some great maternity fitness clothes through them. Their service is excellent (you get free shipping on every order after your first). I do not work for them, BTW, or have any other vested interest, just a very satisfied customer.

As for when you'll start to show, who knows? I went up two cup sizes in the first 8 weeks (the Nike Inner Actives encapsulation bras are great for controlling bounce, BTW), but otherwise didn't show enough to need maternity clothes for quite awhile (plus I was waiting for a friend to have her baby so I could raid her closet -- that's a great money saver if you can find someone). I have a job where I can go "business casual" so around 18 weeks (when even my biggest "fat" clothes that had a button waist didn't button anymore)I bought some elastic-waist pants and loose sweater-tops from Chico's (I think that's a national chain), and those got me through until about 6.5 months, when I went into maternity clothes full-time. But my two friends who are pregnant now are wearing maternity clothes (and salivating over mine!) at 22 and 24 weeks respectively.

As for fitness clothes, I could still wear some of my regular ones until about 24 weeks, then I got too scared that one swift clean and press in my Body Pump class would cause my jazz tights to roll down like a window blind. I got a full-length unitard from fitmaternity.com and loved it -- so comfy -- and no danger of unintentionally flashing the class!
happy.gif

Congratulations to you!

Hazel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.