I'm on day 4 of Paleo...

jcm

Cathlete
I've never really been into "diet" type things, but after reading about Paleo on here and looking into it I got curious. It was prompted by a couple things: just turned 40 and carrying a few extra pounds, felt really tired, and noticed gradual "digestion" changes/issues over the last few years. Obviously it's too early to tell too much but so far I feel really good! Right now I'm thinking of doing this strict for 30 days, then easing into something a little more lenient.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I've experienced so far and say thank you so those who contributed to the "Paleo" threads in the past!

Jenny

JCM--Plz keep us posted how it goes.

After being a vegetarian for many years, (I also eat eggs and dairy), I have started eating some fish, but can't see myself eating meat again. But I am eating a lot less grains, after reading The Wheat Belly book. I have been almost qluten free for the 5 years or so, but even going less grains. Haven't noticed much change, other than I am easily keeping off the weight I recently loss, even when cheating a little more than I should.

JCM--Plz keep us posted how it goes.

After being a vegetarian for many years, (I also eat eggs and dairy), I have started eating some fish, but can't see myself eating meat again. But I am eating a lot less grains, after reading The Wheat Belly book. I have been almost qluten free for the 5 years or so, but even going less grains. Haven't noticed much change, other than I am easily keeping off the weight I recently loss, even when cheating a little more than I should.

I think that even more useful than a strict paleo diet all the time, is the elimination diet. Basically, discovering what does or doesn't do harm to your system.

If you are still have digestion issues, I highly recommend getting tested for low HCL in your stomach. If you aren't making enough anymore, you may need to supplement or do what I do which is drink some lemon water which helps encourage your body to make HCL on its own. It doesn't have to be super strong and you can have it with some sugar or in some tea, but its that tart flavor that sends the message to your brain : hey, make some HCL, I'm going to eat something." The HCL in your stomach tells the valve at the top to stay closed, properly cleanses your food (before it goes into the intestine.), and prevents nasty bacterial issues.

I like the paleo style of eating in general because they encourage people to eat a variety of healthy fats and unprocessed foods. We tend to get far too much omega 6s in our diets and too little omega 3s. Also, by avoiding soy, corn, normal dairy (not organic.), and peanuts, you are by default avoiding many of the goitergens (foods that cause harm to your thyroid, make you feel cold, slow down your metabolism, and are generally bad news.)

I listen to a very informative podcast (which is now a radio show.) called "Revolution Health Radio." with Chris Kresser. You might find it illuminating.

Some of the things that are helpful to some people caused harm to my gut. Flax seed was terribly irritating. Ginger was also equally harmful. Antibiotics can cause terrible damage (although if necessary, do what you must to stay alive.) Too much fiber is a problem. I don't do well with any of those nasty sugar alcohols which are used in 'low carb' or 'low sugar' products. By going paleo, you would avoid that garbage.

Let us know how it goes for you,

Alisha

Yes - without going into details I've not been running to the bathroom for the last few days :) What I noticed a few years ago was after getting a Subway veggie on wheat my stomach would be wrecked the next day. But never thought/considered a gluten sensitivity. And I don't think dairy is a problem. We'll see after this month. I'm a petite person but carry all the weight in my gut. Wheat belly - ha! My sister works w/ a holistic doc and did a long cleanse. She can't do corn, soy ... It's just nice to feel better!

Jenny,
That's great to hear that you are feeling so well because I felt pretty darn awful for a good month after going paleo. I too was inspired by the paleo threads on here and then did a ton of research and decided to dive into it. It's been a good 6 weeks now and I'm FINALLY feeling great. I think it just took forever for my carb withdrawl symptoms to go away. I had no energy, headaches, and was always hungry. But now it's all good. I didn't really have weight to lose but DH did and he's lost at least 10 lbs (we don't own a scale though). My only complaint now is that our grocery bill is so much higher!! We shop at Sam's and buy our fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken, and fish in bulk, but I think it's still a lot of $ since everything we buy now is perishable.

I hope you continue to feel well and I'd love to hear how it's going for you!

Yes - without going into details I've not been running to the bathroom for the last few days :) What I noticed a few years ago was after getting a Subway veggie on wheat my stomach would be wrecked the next day. But never thought/considered a gluten sensitivity. And I don't think dairy is a problem. We'll see after this month. I'm a petite person but carry all the weight in my gut. Wheat belly - ha! My sister works w/ a holistic doc and did a long cleanse. She can't do corn, soy ... It's just nice to feel better!

I am so glad that you are feeling better!!!

Btw, I can't eat a Subway without putting on several pounds in the belly area too.

I've had GERD for the last couple of years and all the symptoms are gone. It's now a pleasant way to live my life. Gerd symptoms: Could only sleep on back, sour stomach most of the time, reflex actions. To the point I got really sick, and sick of living that way. The quality of life went way down hill. The pills my doctor kept trying to give me made things even worse. I had horrible reactions from them. Even had to go to the emergency because of the pills. Very scary stuff.

I started Paleo on Jan. 13 of this year. The first week on it, I was so so tired and slept 12 hours a day, but my skin was becoming soft and smooth. Now I have energy to burn. One by one I'm finding out what foods my body won't tolerate. I sleep 8 hours a day on any side of my body I want. I'm even considering doing two exercises a day for 2 or 3 times a week. The weight has come off rapidly at first and now is slowing down, and continue to lose at a better rate. If I get a sweet tooth, I'll have a piece of fruit. I don't crave salt any longer.

Because of the GERD I don't have a choice but to stick with this diet, and I'm happy to do so. Thank goodness because now I can lead a normal life again.

Life is so good,

Janie

Last edited:
I have read the Paleo diet and Wheat Belly Diet...slowly but surely trying to elimate wheat. And eating less meat. But it is hard too do, when family still believes in meat and potatoes.

I decided to just go hardcore Paleo for the first 30 days - but I am on my own. Which also means more temptation :) But it's getting easier.

I have read the Paleo diet and Wheat Belly Diet...slowly but surely trying to elimate wheat. And eating less meat. But it is hard too do, when family still believes in meat and potatoes.

Some people are changing their tune a little bit to basically include meat and potatoes on the paleo style diet. I read that on Spark somewhere. I honestly don't know for certain myself. I do ok with blue or purple potatoes, but when its white it heads straight for my hips:eek:

Just curious... why are you eating less meat?

Everything that I've read about the Paleo/Primal eating plans emphasizes protein, veggies, healthy fats and some fruit.

No grains, no added sugar.

So why cut down on your meat consumption? I'm confused.... Unless you are just trying to cut down on portions for lower calorie intake..

But everything that I have read stresses protein at every meal (beef, lamb, pork, fish, shellfish)

Then lots of good veggies and healthy fats...

What does a day look like on your current eating plan?

The Paleo Solution book is plenty of meat - well, chicken, fish and pork also. Probably after a month of this I'll ease into more of a Primal Blueprint plan. If my body agrees! Right now the whole family is downing pizza - waaaaaaa :(

Apparently I live in the dark as I am just now learning of the Paleo Diet. :eek: I am definitely curious. I feel like I have been out of control the past few weeks with sugar/carb cravings. :rolleyes: Since No I have been having lower back issues (degenerative disc disease ) better than it was but not where I want to be. My first thought is not that this lifestyle (Paleo) would help but who knows.

My question for all of you who follow this is what do you do when you either eat out (which I very rarely do) or eat at someones home? I have been known to take my own food to family get together's.

Well, I did awesome for 2 months then cheated with this past week (spring break). I feel horrible and am back on Paleo as of yesterday.

Eating out basically means a salad with either salsa as a dressing or request vinegar and oil. We went to our family's house for Easter yesterday. I ate the grilled steak and the tossed salad and obviously passed on the cheesy potatoes, lemon fluff stuff and fresh bread. And the croutons in the salad. And dessert :) Two weeks ago after a 10 mile run I took the kids to dinner w/ full knowledge I was going to have a cheat meal. Had a gyro (obviously not Paleo) and subbed a salad for the fries.

If you try it let us know how it goes. I figured I'd do Robb Wolf's 30 day Paleo challenge and it was so worth it I kept with it. Except for being a bit of a glutton for the past week. It wasn't even overboard but enough to make me sorry.

Jen

p.s. after reading Paleo Solution and looking at labels differently imagine my surprse that there was wheat in my soy sauce!!

I am so glad that you are feeling better!!!

Btw, I can't eat a Subway without putting on several pounds in the belly area too.

So, I am curious about the Subway dilemma... is it just the bread portion of it- do you think it is the carb overload that is causing this belly bloat?

Thx!
Pam

Ohhhhh Subway! I used to get a veggie sub from there, and my stomach would be wrecked the next day (bloated, gas, cramps, many trips to the bathroom :0 ) For whatever reason I figured it was all the veggies - which was kind of silly since I eat a ton normally. That's when it finally hit me it was the bread!

Since "cheating" over the last week my gut is back to feeling like there is a lead weight in there. Can't wait til I'm over this.

Jen

Two other things that have happened since going Paleo - my head feels much clearer and less "muddled" and I'm not loosing nearly as much hair as I used to.

So, I am curious about the Subway dilemma... is it just the bread portion of it- do you think it is the carb overload that is causing this belly bloat?

Thx!
Pam

I think it was the bread because it didn't matter what kind of sandwich it was, or how low the calories, or how much of a workout I had. Inevitably, I put on pounds. Gah. I would have been better off with a hamburger!

i just read Wheat Belly. what an eye-opener. i have been basically GF for a while now since my DH has intestinal issues & feels better when he's GF. i had no idea how much the wheat crop has changed over the last 50-60 yrs, all for making a cheaper product...quantity over quality. it is so apparent in our society now when you think you can drive up to Little Caesar's pizza and get a large pepperoni pizza for $5. i am more convinced than ever to stay far away from wheat in its many, many forms.

about to read The Paleo Solution. i love this forum...you learn about these books. i don't remember which thread i initially read & learned about the Wheat Belly, but thank you, whoever you are!!

i just read Wheat Belly. what an eye-opener. i have been basically GF for a while now since my DH has intestinal issues & feels better when he's GF. i had no idea how much the wheat crop has changed over the last 50-60 yrs, all for making a cheaper product...quantity over quality. it is so apparent in our society now when you think you can drive up to Little Caesar's pizza and get a large pepperoni pizza for $5. i am more convinced than ever to stay far away from wheat in its many, many forms.

about to read The Paleo Solution. i love this forum...you learn about these books. i don't remember which thread i initially read & learned about the Wheat Belly, but thank you, whoever you are!!

Just watch out for some of the alternatives to wheat especially soy and millet, both of those are goitregens (interfere with your thyroid).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.