I'm off to court tomorrow

LauraMax

Cathlete
to fight my battle with GE Money Bank--you know, the credit card co. that claimed I missed a payment & backcharged me $500 in interest?

I'm very nervous. I've only been to small claims court once & I was chewed up & spit out like day-old fish by the judge (long story I won't bother to bore you with).

I'm guessing no one from GE will show up. They're based in TX & unless they have a house attny stationed in north Jersey I can't imagine they'd think the $500 would be worth it. In fact, even if they do have an attny locally it would probably cost them more than the disputed amount.

So, here's my question (especially to any lawyers out there): if the judge rules in my favor, does GE have to honor the judgment? Does an NJ circuit court have jurisdiction over them? Or is this all just an exercise in futility & I'm royally screwed either way?

Good luck tomarrow!
I have no idea as far as your jurisdiction question goes. But it would be a good question to ask the judge, or someone at the court house.
Where's Ajock? I bet she'd know. I'm just starting school to be a paralegal. She's been one for a long time, so she should know.

Kathy

Laura,

I'd need more specifics in order to answer your question. I didn't read your original post...did you file against them? Based on what? Have they answered at all? Here's a quick tip in case we don't talk before then.

Small claims is designed for a pro se (unrepresented) litigant. A lot of times the clerk will answer your quetions and guide you through the process. So ask them any questions while you are there and don't worry about bothering them. Chances are, they've heard your question before.

Don't be surprised if someone answers for them tomorrow. They can pay a local attorney to answer and negotate, etc. for them. I do this with cases that I file for regular clients that are located in Courts too far away to make the trip worthwhile. Don't let that shake you though!

Email me!

Laura,

I'd need more specifics in order to answer your question. I didn't read your original post...did you file against them? Based on what? Have they answered at all? Here's a quick tip in case we don't talk before then.

Small claims is designed for a pro se (unrepresented) litigant. A lot of times the clerk will answer your quetions and guide you through the process. So ask them any questions while you are there and don't worry about bothering them. Chances are, they've heard your question before.

Don't be surprised if someone answers for them tomorrow. They can pay a local attorney to answer and negotate, etc. for them. I do this with cases that I file for regular clients that are located in Courts too far away to make the trip worthwhile. Don't let that shake you though!

Email me!

I have absolutely no legal advice for you (Nancy might help you out with that though), but I just wanted to wish you luck.

I have absolutely no legal advice for you (Nancy might help you out with that though), but I just wanted to wish you luck.

Well, I won, for whatever it's worth. The judge awarded me $500 plus an additional $500 for the interest that's accrued since I filed the suit.

Now, when I get the judgement in the mail I have to send it to the El Paso superior court for enforcement. We'll see what happens. The judge was very nice & he told me to expect trouble from them. He thinks they'll either counter-sue or ignore the judgement. x(

I must say it was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life. Although you gotta love Newark--it's always an adventure! ;-)

Congrats on the win! Good luck with dealing with another state court, as well as the credit card company.
Mind if I ask which company did this to you? I just would like to make sure I stear clear of them.

Kathy

Hey, don't even joke about that! The last (and only) time I filed in small claims court I actually got a letter from People's Court asking if I'd be willing to have my case heard by Judge Judy. No way! :eek:

Kathy--it was GE Money Bank. I will certainly never do business with them again. But if you want to avoid them you have to be careful b/c they're behind a lot of retailers. For example, I think Banana Republic uses them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.