I'm getting a cell phone jammer!

I can't tell you how happy I am that, beginning in March, here in NJ you can be pulled over if you are talking on a hand-held cell phone and ticketed(this also applies to texting while driving.) Right now, they can only pull you over for another traffic violation and then ticket you for the cell in addition.:)

I don't *necessarily* think it is a bad idea to prohibit much of what Allison mentioned. When you are driving, you should be DRIVING. In my opinion, anything that REQUIRES you to take one hand off the wheel should be against the law(as in hand-held cell phones.)

The point is that not everything is going to be legislated against. While I agree that listening to the radio can be distracting it is going to be pretty hard to legislate against that. Getting laws passed requires a lot of work and you also have to PROVE that the law is necessary or beneficial. While someone else may be able to find it, I am not aware of any study that specifically showed listening to the radio to be hazardous to drivers. I could be wrong though...

>I can't tell you how happy I am that, beginning in March,
>here in NJ you can be pulled over if you are talking on a
>hand-held cell phone and ticketed(this also applies to texting
>while driving.) Right now, they can only pull you over for
>another traffic violation and then ticket you for the cell in
>addition.:)

Pippa, I heard that today. But I'd bet my DL it won't be enforced.

I'd also heard in NJ there's a $100 fine for text messaging while driving, but a $500 fine for talking on the phone. This makes no sense to me. I don't know about you guys, but for me it's much more distracting to type rather than talk.

I totally agree! I would think that texting HAS to be more dangerous. I guess their argument would be that more people talk on the phone than text. Although, I'm not sure how true that is....

Ah-ha. So really, it's the gym that needs to deal with the problem. Don't waste your money on a cell phone jammer when you can lodge a complaint with the gym and spend that money on a Kaye Spade handbag ;-)

>it's just a matter of courtesy. I don't know what's so urgent
>that people can't wait to get home to have private
>conversations

Well, I'll be the disenter and say that I think this idea (the cell phone jammer) is very wrong. Those of us who have children who may need to contact us in an emergency understand what I mean. If I am somewhere where cell phones are not welcome or not allowed, I put my phone on vibrate. That way I know if I get an incoming call, and I can go outside and take the call. The idea that someone would prevent me from getting a possible emergency call from my child upsets me.

I do understand the frustration with those who don't obey the rules, but your phone jammer could be a REAL problem for someone. :(

>Where I wish they WOULD make it illegal is while driving.
>Headset, hands-free, it doesn't matter. It affects reaction
>time and takes your attention away from what you should be
>doing: DRIVING.

ITA!
I read of a study that found that 20-somethihg-year-olds on cell phones had the same reaction time as 75-year-olds (not on cell phones---can you imagine how bad it would be if the 75-year-olds WERE on cell phones?).

I once saw a man driving (on a street crossing the one I was on) with a cell phone in one hand, an cigarette in the other. When he got to the intersection, he made an awkward left turn (no signal, of course, because he didn't have a free hand to do that!) with the hand holding the ciggy!

>>it's just a matter of courtesy. I don't know what's so
>urgent
>>that people can't wait to get home to have private
>>conversations
>
>
>Well, I'll be the disenter and say that I think this idea (the
>cell phone jammer) is very wrong. Those of us who have
>children who may need to contact us in an emergency understand
>what I mean. If I am somewhere where cell phones are not
>welcome or not allowed, I put my phone on vibrate. That way I
>know if I get an incoming call, and I can go outside and take
>the call. The idea that someone would prevent me from getting
>a possible emergency call from my child upsets me.
>
>I do understand the frustration with those who don't obey the
>rules, but your phone jammer could be a REAL problem for
>someone. :(

This is exactly what I think.

The cell phone jammer is unamerican IMO.

Last week my DD did have a minor emergency and I was in church with my phone turned OFF. It was an hour before she communicated with me. DH could not leave his work to attend to her so she had to wait. I will not turn my phone off any longer, but I do put it on silent and check it periodically.

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

>>it's just a matter of courtesy. I don't know what's so
>urgent
>>that people can't wait to get home to have private
>>conversations
>
>
>Well, I'll be the disenter and say that I think this idea (the
>cell phone jammer) is very wrong. Those of us who have
>children who may need to contact us in an emergency understand
>what I mean. If I am somewhere where cell phones are not
>welcome or not allowed, I put my phone on vibrate. That way I
>know if I get an incoming call, and I can go outside and take
>the call. The idea that someone would prevent me from getting
>a possible emergency call from my child upsets me.
>
>I do understand the frustration with those who don't obey the
>rules, but your phone jammer could be a REAL problem for
>someone. :(

Exactly my sentiments. I was not aware that this actually existed and it is scary that my children, daycare, family would call me and could not reach me because it was inconveniencing to someone and that someone is blocking an important message from getting to me with an illegal contraption.

Just the thought that someone would think they had a right to jam/prevent my phone from ringing because it is "inconvenient" to them at the time they chose upsets me.

Where do we draw the line? We have children. We need to have open lines of communication at all times we are away from them...whether at the gym or whathave you.

Besides that, what about all the $$$ I am paying monthly to have my cell? What gives anyone the right to take a service I am paying for away from me?

Food for thought?

Huh. Can't believe this thread is still going!

Well, all I can say is I remember when my parents went out they'd give the babysitter the phone number of where they were going. When I needed to reach my parents I'd call them from a landline or payphone at their jobs' landlines. I mean, cell phones have been around for what, maybe 20 years? How did parents & their children survive before then?

I find the cell usage in a place where it's restricted on my time more than an inconvenience. In fact, I don't understand why they can't leave their phones in their gym bags. Is it b/c it would be an "incovenience" for them? Why should anyone be entitled to "incovenience" me, while at the same time breaking gym rules. Why should I have to be "inconvenienced" when I'm following gym rules?

What about the $$$ I'm paying for my gym membership? What gives anyone the right to interfere with my routine while they gab away on their phones?

ETA: it appears I will have problems with enforcement at my gym since the ENTIRE FREAKIN STAFF walks around the gym floor with THEIR phones!

More food for thought?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.