I'm disappointed

janiejoey

Cathlete
In my post "Babysitting and Fall Trip" I was telling everyone that I was leaving until just before Christmas. I got 6 responses and that's it. Shoot, I was expecting more, but then reality hit...

I'm disappointed and embarrassed because I really thought you cared. I can see I was wrong. I spent a few years on these forums trying to make a difference and it got to be a daily ritual to talk with you all and try to give my sympathy, condolences or just be there for anyone who wanted to talk. Also I've gotten really great advice from all you knowledgeable folks as well. I thought I had some friends, but...I guess I wanted something in return, you know; some caring perhaps?

I guess I just don't have the personality that you are accustomed to and I know I'm not the...My feelings are hurt! Well, I do have other parts of my life to attend to.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

Janie,

I'm sorry I and others didn't respond to your post. I rarely visit the OD these days since the school year has started. I appreciate all the advice you offered me when I first came here back in Jan of this year. After you explained what a rotation was, you helped me realize that I should consider incoporating weights into my rotation. LOL I also remember when you brought up the idea of starting a daily journal. I thought that was a great idea if it didn't mean joining a check-in.:7 :7 :7 I've learned so much since then!

Have fun on your fall trip. I'll have to look at your previous post to see where you are planning on going and who or what you'll be babysitting.

Blessings!
Wendy

Janie...Have a good time on your trip! I don't write often on the forums but do try to read them when possible. Your advice and daily advice will be missed! Take care and have a safe trip! Karen

Janie,

I'm sorry - I'm new to the forum myself, and this has sort of happened to me on some posts too, and it definitely can leave you feeling sad (but then again - I'm new, which is probably why I don't get many responses) You can shout out to me any time. If I get in the forum I will answer you - or you can email me. Cheer up! :)

Reese

Please don't be sad. I check in on these boards fairly often and have noticed a sharp drop-off in the participation of everyone since the school year started. I don't have kids but it's pretty obvious. I often don't get responses to my posts, too, so I'll hit other fitness-related message boards to increase my odds of getting some informed feedback. Also, I often start to respond to posts and ultimately give up because I don't have time to really think through and edit what I'm trying to say (adult ADD, I swear) or I get distracted by all the other things I have to do on my ever-so-rare time off. I've noticed a sharp dive in the interraction at virtually every board I frequent since all the kids went back to school. It's just that time of year. Expect even less feedback from Thanksgiving through New Years'. It's so NOT about you so please don't feel down, Janie.

Janie,

I did respond to your original post but wanted to respond to this one as well. I have always enjoyed your posts and hope that you continue to hang around after your trip. I think sometimes, people may read a post and mean to respond but then get sidetracked.

Please don't be disappointed.

Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy your time away and with your grandbabies.

See you when you get back! :)

I am another who is guilty of reading but not responding sometimes, and I am sorry that this has hurt your feelings. I can relate, it happens to us all.

Often times, I am really interested in what everyone is posting about, so I read lots. However, I don't feel like I have anything of substance to add, so I don't respond. I will think more about that in the future.

I don't recall the post you are referring to -- must have missed it somehow. I will go check and see if I can find it.

Janie, I'm sorry you are disappointed in us. It's hard to read/post on every thread. Please enjoy your family and trip and come home safe, sound and refreshed.

Janie-
So sorry the lack of responses left you feeling uncared for... Honestly I stopped visiting OD a couple of months ago because of all the posts that took ugly turns even when OP didnt start it- just seemed like not a day went by that someone took harmless chatter to ugly extremes...I personally tired of all the negativity... I have also noticed a lot more Check In groups and I think thats where many of us choose to spend our Cathe time... My group has grown and it takes all the time I have here to stay in touch and expand those relationships.
I do hope you have a great sabatical from us and return when you can- I have always loved reading your posts, perspective and about your success!

I personally did not respond as it sounded like you were leaving soon and I almost posted a good luck response (and enjoy the nicer weather!!), but figured that you wouldn't be able to read my response...sorry!
Jenn

Janie,
Have a great trip!

The Cathe boards are pretty crowded these days, and I have found that if you want people to read your post, it helps to make your "headline" a little more catchy. Something like "Happy Holidays!" in August would have caught more attention. ;) I saw the word "babysitting" and assumed it was something I knew nothing about and never even opened your post.

Enjoy! :D

<I have always loved reading your posts, perspective and about your success! >

Me too Janie! Don't feel bad. My posts rarely if ever get a response because I'm not an "everyday" poster I suppose. I think you're loved and respected here so don't take the lack of response personally. It's the way forums are.
:)

Janie,

I am sorry that your feelings were hurt. I didn't post for similar reasons...I don't have children and had no advice for you. I hope you will accept our apologies! :)

Janie,

I'm sorry you feel bad - I guess just like in our day-to-day lives we can tend to be thoughtless and take those we care about for granted on the forum as well. I don't post much, but I read a lot and have benefitted from more than one of your posts.
To tell you the truth, most of the time it is only exercise related post titles that catch my eye - though "I'm dissappointed" with your name attached definitely caught my eye. When I read the body of the post, I have to admit, I didn't remember seeing the post title you referred to - I had to go back and look for it. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a post title just doesn't grab people's attention and maybe that is what happened here?
Anyway - I am sorry I missed the opportunity to post there - to say have a wonderful trip and that I look forward to your return :)
Oh, and also to thank you for the "Ring of Fire" abdominal post. My mom has some pretty bad veritgo when she lies on her back, especially if she tries to move, so conventional crunches have been out for her for a while. I introduce her to that technique via your post and the exercises have been really helping her!
Your GREAT, and you will be missed around here until you return!
--Laura

Hi Janie,

I certainly would have responded to your first post, but I haven't been on my computer for days!!!! And just now saw both of your posts.

I will miss you and who will I check in with on the ROF progress? How is it going anyway? I've upped my by adding some resistance with a band. Really liking the results. If nothing else I feel really strong in the core these days!

Linda

I know exactly how you feel, Janie. As you know, I've also gone through times when I felt like my forum 'friends' let me down...and that they really weren't the 'friends' I thought they were. Or times when I post a thread and get very few replies. Or when I ask for help (finding some barbell racks, a thread that got no responses at all!) and get not even an attempt at it after trying to help so many others. Or post something 'just to chat' and nobody's interested.

Stuff like this sometimes makes you want to leave and never come back, if you're in a bad mood already (I'm just speaking for myself, but it might apply to you).

But as for your post: I didn't even see it until today (you must have posted it after I visited yesterday?). Maybe just not a lot of people have seen it so far. I'll admit I skipped over it because of the title. I don't always read every thread, and "babysitting" just didn't call out to me. Now, if you'd titled it something like "will be gone for a while" or something like that, I probably would have 'stopped in' to say something.

Don't get discouraged.

Have a great time! "Talk" to you when you get back!

Janie, I have not been on in days either but wanted to wish you a very nice time away! It's so hard to wade thru all the threads here anymore as Cathe has become sooo very popular since FitTV! Please don't take it personal. I have had many threads that weren't repsonded to at all. It's hard to read them all. Have a super-duper time and we look forward to your return. Enjoy those Grandbabies!!!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.