ICE difficulty level can be compared to what other Cathe workouts?

cherrypie10

I understand that this issue has been somewhat addressed in the past; i.e., more advanced exercisers concerned that the new ICE workouts will not present enough of a challenge. I have read the Cathe responses about the bonus add-ons to increase the difficulty and how it is good to vary your workouts and throw in more of an intermediate workout program here and there even for advanced exercisers. And I appreciate that information.
I went to Cathe's online store, hoping to do a search of DVD programs by fitness level. I only see an option to look specifically for beginner DVD programs (left hand side of website) but I cannot do a search for intermediate v. advanced programs. If I knew, for example, that Athletic Step, Circuit Blast and MMA Boxing, are considered more intermediate programs (imho), or To The Max, Crossfire, Aferburn and Imax are considered more advanced programs (again, imho) :) than it would really help put into perspective the level of the new ICE workouts. I frequently do add it such "intermediate" workouts such as Athletic Step on days where I am not quite feeling like going all out...so...if the ICE workouts are at this level then I would love to work them into my rotation. So in short, knowing what "level" Cathe's previous DVD's would generally be categorized as would really give me a great baseline for the new ICE workouts. Thank you!

I understand that this issue has been somewhat addressed in the past; i.e., more advanced exercisers concerned that the new ICE workouts will not present enough of a challenge. I have read the Cathe responses about the bonus add-ons to increase the difficulty and how it is good to vary your workouts and throw in more of an intermediate workout program here and there even for advanced exercisers. And I appreciate that information.
I went to Cathe's online store, hoping to do a search of DVD programs by fitness level. I only see an option to look specifically for beginner DVD programs (left hand side of website) but I cannot do a search for intermediate v. advanced programs. If I knew, for example, that Athletic Step, Circuit Blast and MMA Boxing, are considered more intermediate programs (imho), or To The Max, Crossfire, Aferburn and Imax are considered more advanced programs (again, imho) :) than it would really help put into perspective the level of the new ICE workouts. I frequently do add it such "intermediate" workouts such as Athletic Step on days where I am not quite feeling like going all out...so...if the ICE workouts are at this level then I would love to work them into my rotation. So in short, knowing what "level" Cathe's previous DVD's would generally be categorized as would really give me a great baseline for the new ICE workouts. Thank you!

The problem is there really is no formal standard for classifying a workout as Beginner,Intermediate or Advanced. Someone might classify a certain Cathe workout as advanced while another person might say they feel it is an intermediate workout or even a beginner video. Opinions vary on what any video should be classified as. Other factors such as step height, effort and weights used can also make the same workout harder or easier to do.

In our Gym we don't classify Cathe classes by fitness level as we don't find it necessary to label them as such. A Cathe Gym class has a wide variety of ages and fitness levels and everyone enjoys the class just the same. Some classes are harder than others, but that is how fitness should be.

Even if you're an advanced exerciser or athlete you need to cycle the intensity and types of your workouts to avoid injuries and to continue to improve. Just as is true in strength training routines, if you always go all out, you will get less results than a person who cycles between hard and easier workouts. You will also greatly increase you chances for an overuse injury that could wipe-out all of your hard earned gains.

Competitive weight lifters do not train by lifting as heavy and as hard as they can every workout. Instead they usually alternate heavy and light days and plan their routines around doing intense and lighter weight cycles throughout the year. Every champion athlete I know or have heard of does not do an all out advanced workout every time they workout. They cycle between advanced and intermediate/beginner workouts because they want to avoid injuries and don't want their bodies to adapt to doing the same routine. Research shows that if you only do advanced workouts your body will stop changing so even if you don't purchase ICE you should mix up your workouts with less intense workouts.

As for the intensity of ICE I would say the "main workouts" are very similar to a lot of Cathe Live classes and Cathe's other Gym classes, but you really need to wait until the videos are released to accurately get a picture of what these workouts are really like. I will say they certainly will not be "a walk in the park" nor will they use 2lb dumbbells. These will be Cathe workouts that are designed to be doable for what we call an intermediate exerciser based on Cathe's years of experience of teaching a variety classes in her Gym to thousands of people throughout the years.

Not sure if this answers your question, but hopefully it helps. And remember, if you're not sure about pre-ordering it's always best to wait until the videos are released before ordering.

Admin,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough response. Yes, I completely understand and agree that opinions will vary as to the categorization of a certain workout as being beginner, intermediate or advanced. And I can certainly agree that changing weights, step height, band strength, etc. has a great effect upon the level of difficulty.

When you shop at CollageVideo, you can search by "Workout Level" which I suppose at least generally points someone in the right direction (and while they do classify almost all of Cathe's videos as "advanced" :) they do classify a few as Intermediate (examples: Slide and Glide and Low Impact Challenge) and a few as Intermediate/Advanced (examples: Great Glutes and Rockout Knockout). Since I am familiar with those workouts, I can get a good sense of what CollageVideo considers a certain category. As long as it is the same company categorizing them, I can understand it's baseline (meaning, for example, if another company XYZ classified Flex Train and Lean Legs & Abs as Intermediate and Kick Max and Intensity as Advanced, I could say, okay, I get what they consider to be Intermediate, Advanced, etc.). Similarly, if Cathe's DVDs were categorized, e.g., Athletic Step, MMA Boxing as Intermediate; To The Max, Crossfire as Advanced) I could understand, and say, okay, I get what is generally considered Intermediate, Advanced, etc. I hope this makes sense.

I do understand that categorization would only give a baseline as opposed to a hard-and-fast, concrete, definitive "rule". Just my two cents ... but I do understand the reluctance to categorize the workouts and I really do appreciate the response! Thanks again!

I always wondered how a wkout was put into a category of beg, inter or adv. I've also wondered WHOM does the categorizing. As Forum Admin said, what could be difficult for one person might be easy for another. I get that. But I also appreciate the original question. I appreciate comparisons when shopping for wkouts.

I always wondered how a wkout was put into a category of beg, inter or adv. I've also wondered WHOM does the categorizing. As Forum Admin said, what could be difficult for one person might be easy for another. I get that. But I also appreciate the original question. I appreciate comparisons when shopping for wkouts.

I know in the old days (before Collage was sold) they had certified instructors who did the workouts and rated them. I always thought their ratings were pretty accurate, so I get what OP was asking and why she was asking.

BTW, the one and only time I ever disagreed with a Collage rating was when Athletic Training first came out and Collage rated it an intermediate workout. Granted, what seems intermediate to one may seem advanced to another, but dang, who would rate that workout as intermediate? :)

Right! I have all 4 of Susan Chung's "Rapid Fire" kickboxing wkouts. One or more of them are labeled intermediate. I say "No f$&@ing way!!!" No one in their right mind would argue X10 or Afterburn could be anything but advanced. Intermediate is a different curiosity. That's why I read reviews and look for comparisons from people who've done the wkout. Should be pretty interesting to see what Cathe comes up with. We should all be mentally prepared though because......its Cathe!

We should all be mentally prepared though because......its Cathe!

That is my attitude attempting cathe's or any other workout.It has to be very challenging at the first attempt!
Example when tabatacise got released there was various debate whether intermediate could complete the full five
cycles. I prepared myself for the full five at the first attempt and I was mentally very pleased.
If I could not I would just have built up to the full five! JMO:eek:
It is still not a promenade to the park completing five without pausing!

No one in their right mind would argue X10 or Afterburn could be anything but advanced. Intermediate is a different curiosity. That's why I read reviews and look for comparisons from people who've done the wkout.

I think you have hit the nail right on the head!
Reading admin thorough message, it is good to be reminded to cycle intensity:)
There is nothing as disheartening as being sidelined from fun because of an injury.

Last edited:
If you look at her official Intermediate rotation

I did not think to look there but that is a great suggestion. Thanks! FYI -- on Cathe's shop website it states under the DVD description: "Low Impact Circuit is a 75 minute intermediate to advanced low-impact total bodyworkout that Cathe has designed to be done on a 6 or 8 inch step. If you're looking for a workout that is joint friendly, but still challenging, then this workout is for you." It is categorized, lol!:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.