ICE and then what?

RanchMom

Cathlete
I am looking for advice on what Cathe (series or individual DVDs) to add. ICE was my very first Cathe purchase. I absolutely love it and have no idea why I waited so long to try Cathe! Historically I have been into pilates, barre, etc. My body really seemed to be craving something different. I tried kettlebells for a while but seemed to have no focus and as a result became complacent with my workouts.

I have been aware of Cathe for awhile and was intrigued with the ICE release. So glad I bought it. I am in the middle of my second month of the ICE TWO rotation. I really enjoy the weight work that is heavier than what I am accustomed to. I am able to match Cathe's weight during the primary workouts. During the MM, I do have to drop weights by the 3rd set.

With all of that said, I am thinking of adding RWH or XT. The ICE user's guide has a rotation for both. I'm looking for a little more weight work but would need to ease into buying more equipment. I can purchase more dumb bells and such but I don't have a barbell.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? It wouldn't even need to be RWH or XT. Cathe has so many options to choose from!

Good for you on your accomplishment with the ICE Series! :) I would suggest XTrain as a next step. XTrain provides a great variety of workouts that will help you in your progression. I usually use dumbbells rather than a barbell, so no need to worry about that. RwH is pretty intense. I'm not sure you'd want to jump from ICE to RwH. I'd opt for XTrain first. Good luck!

I agree entirely with Carol regarding Xtrain. It works well with ICE as well I am finding (I don't have ALL Xtrain). You can practice going real heavy with the Burn Sets dvd/download & like ICE MMelts, these are offered as bonuses on some of the dvds. I might also suggest plopping in Athletic Training just cause most of us who seem to have fun with ICE also like this one. It's low impact, quite versatile & includes a bit of everything. :)
The MMelts first time around wiped me out, so you have my lifting admiration there! :)

edited to remove as my computer entered the identical post twice. Sorry!

Last edited:
I have the opposite opinion. I think I'd go with RWH's weight workouts, but some of the individual cardio workouts from XTrain and possibly even her Low Impact Series. I own all of Cathe's and don't reach for the weight work from XTrain too often. Overall, I use a few dvds from each of the XT, RWH and Low Impact and many I tend not to reach for from each series.

I have the opposite opinion. I think I'd go with RWH's weight workouts, but some of the individual cardio workouts from XTrain and possibly even her Low Impact Series. I own all of Cathe's and don't reach for the weight work from XTrain too often. Overall, I use a few dvds from each of the XT, RWH and Low Impact and many I tend not to reach for from each series.

Stacy, which cardio from XT and Low Impact do you recommend? I'll take a look at RWH and review

Continued...Thank you all. I suppose I need to study the video clips more to determine what is better for me at this time. I'd like to try heavier weight work but I don't want to overdo it right from the get go if that makes sense.

Which DVDs specifically from XT and/or RWH would the three of you recommend? I'll take a look at those specific clips. However I like sets so I might just have to pick one and go with it for now. LOL

I like the 3 main strength workouts from RWH (Legs; Chest, Tri, Shoulders; Back and Biceps). For me the weight workout from XTrain didn't seem all that different in terms of intensity from the Muscle Meltdowns. I feel RWH has more potential to go heavier. The exercises are basic so you can just start with lower weights.

From XTrain, I like Cardio Leg Blast which is similar to the leg workout in ICE but more intense. I like the All Out Low Impact HiiT from XTrain and I do like Tabatacise, but only use that every so often b/c it is pretty intense. Burn Sets is good if you want a total upper body workout instead of splits.

From the Low Impact Series, I use Afterburn alot as well as Athletic Training and Total Body Trisets.

For more "metabolic" style I like Supercuts from XT and FlexTrain. I feel these are similar but Supercuts I feel stresses lower body a bit more and FlexTrain, upper body a bit more.

There are so many workouts out there. The Gym Styles set is also a great strength training set. You can sub dumbbells for a good majority of barbell exercises, but my barbell was one of my best fitness purchases!

Have you considered Cathe-On-Demand/CatheLive? With on-Demand, you would have access to her entire library. I subscribe to CatheLive & love it. I'm not subscribing to On-Demand, because at the time it began, I already had most of the library & have added everything new since. However, from what I hear about the workout blender, at some point I may cave and add On-Demand.

Have you considered Cathe-On-Demand/CatheLive? With on-Demand, you would have access to her entire library. I subscribe to CatheLive & love it. I'm not subscribing to On-Demand, because at the time it began, I already had most of the library & have added everything new since. However, from what I hear about the workout blender, at some point I may cave and add On-Demand.

I second the Cathe OnDemand option, plus you get all the premixes - Yowza! This will let you try any DVD to figure out which one you find effective for yourself.

Gym Styles and Low impact Series and XT are my recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.