I want a nice tan!!!

flatbelly

Cathlete
Well here is the dilema.....sunless tanning lotions don't work that well...they get all streaky and it is impossible to get an overall great looking tan....tanning beds, we all know the danger lurking there plus I think those bright lights could trigger a migraine in me.....airbrush I know nothing about; maybe that I should try by having it done professionally........So.....any suggestions?
Lisa

HI Lisa!
Because of time, and the dangers, I don't "go" tanning anymore. I always get streaky with the sunless stuff. But... I have been using The Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer and I love it. I won't be bronzy or really really dark, but I have a nice tan. I just burn in the sun and am very white, so this is perfect for me. It shows up after the first application and in about 4-5 days you have a nice tan. I use it every day to every other day. It is not at all streaky!!
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/159/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Hi Megadoo,
I have tried the Jergens in the medium shade.I probably have to be more consistent with applying it every day. When do you apply it..after a shower?..and do you exfoliate? And of course your skin must be completely dry. I wish they would put out a darker color and a better fragrance! I will try again!!

Lisa

I do do it after the shower, but wait about 10 min first to make sure your skin is really dry. It does work better when your legs are shaved of course. I don't exfoliate as much as I should, but do you have to be consistent.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/159/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Hi Lisa-I've been a tanner for many years and still go to the tanning salon, altho I do cover my face which probably doesn't make sense. Anyhow, I have done the professional airbrushing and just loved it. I've done it before a couple of weddings I've been in and it really comes out nice. The only draw back is that it's expensive. If I ever win the lottery that'll be one luxury I'd spend the money on. Hope this helps.

Have you ever tried the sunless tanning lotion called St. Tropez? It's on the expensive side ($35 a bottle), but it works quite well. I mix mine with lotion (I pump some of the St. Tropez in my palm, then pump some lotion in my palm with it) and it doesn't streak at all! It is the least "orangy" stuff I've ever used...it's very bronze/brown. And trust me...I am like casper...very fair with medium brown hair and pale skin...and it looks good and natural even on me! The stink factor is also very low with this stuff...it kinda smells like spicy cinnamon. I don't do any "real" tanning anymore...I just use this stuff.

It also fades gracefully - no spotty/blotchiness. I only apply it about once a week and it lasts most of the week. I love it!

You can get it at Sephora or just buy it through the St. Tropez site:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P65100&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5626

http://www.sttropeztan.com/

I'd sure get mine out of a bottle, 'cause the sun is a big bad ager. My sister is only 18 months older than me, but since she's been a life-long sun worshiper, she looks 10 years older. I'll take my pasty white skin any day.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

I use tan towels and they don't streak or smell and they leave a natural color. I agree with Honey Bunch avoid the sun and tanning beds if not for the fear of skin cancer then for the aging.

Catherine

I have used the Jergens in the winter also. They do have a new darker shade that gave me enought color so as not to be embarassed with white white legs. Also helped when I pushed my sleeves up in the office.

I'm from Calif so even just working in the yard adds a little color to me, let alone taking a nice run in the afternoon after work. Just love the multiple tan lines. ;)

I use sunless tanners and have no streaking problems.

Do you use baby oil when you get out of the shower? Just curious, a friend was using self-tanners and had streaks all over the place. We figured out the baby oil she put on after her showers was the culprit. If you are self-tanning, apply lotion every day to help preserve it.

Use any self-tanner the size of a pea and make sure it gets evenly distributed. I don't get my face as dark as my body and use a bronzer, but I do use a small amount of self tan on my face.

Adding- My experience with a self-tanner on my neck has not been good. Part of the trick of using a self-tanner is to understand you can't become real dark if you want it to look natural. I go for a medium color. Don't try to get all the color in one night. I have never been able to achieve a look suitable for a swimming suit, my self-tanning methods are planned around wearing clothes!

For more info go to sunless.com - there is a ton of helpful information there, including doing hands and feet which are the hardest and take the most practice!

I am using Dove Energy Glow and it is a lotion that goes on like a moisturizer so there is no streaking. I am getting good results with it.:7 It comes in 2 shades fair skin and medium skin. I am using the medium skin for a darker tan look.

Thanks you for all the great suggestions! I am 51 and everyone tells me what nice skin I have...I have been using sunblock every day for the past 20 years! I think I will do the gradual self tan and maybe catch a few rays for the vitamin D. I put some of the Jergens on before bed last night and it looks great! I will check out the other products mentioned also......
Lisa

I use Coppertone Endless Summer Gradual Tan Lotion/Moisturizer and the Face lotion. It's not a "tanning lotion" that shows up right away, so there are absolutely NO streaks, but it's more potent than the Jergens. I put it on after I shower, and I don't even have to do it everyday because it does work well. You do have to wash your hands, but I've never experienced any drawbacks. They sell it for $7 at SuperTarget, and I've seen it in tons of other places. You really should try it--it's great.

HTH,
Kelly

go tothe car wash, it's sunless tanning that is sprayed on you like your in thr car wash pretty great & cheaper than a airbrush

I use the Dove Energy Glow lotion as well and love it. I used to use the Jergens and loved the results but couldn't stand the smell! The Dove smells really nice and looks great. I use the medium shade and apply it every other day.

Katie

I swear by the "tan towels" I buy at my hair salon. No streaks ever and so very easy! I'll never go back to anything else.

I like tan towels, too! In fact, thanks to this thread, I'm now a different color than I was this morning, LOL!!! :D

www.tantowels.com I love the fact that they are individually wrapped, so if I get bored with self-tanning (I usually do 2 cycles a year, one for spring and one when I'm excited again for summer) then I haven't wasted any of the cream or spray.

Yes, I've used tan towels and they work quite well. Today I mixed some of the Coppertone Endless Summer gradual Tan Moisturizing Lotion with Bath & Body Works Strike Gold Sunless Tanning Lotion with Bronzer and it came out really nice. the lotion made it go on smoothly and the bronzer let me see where it was going. I've also used Neutrogena Instant Bronze and that works well on the face. Living in Colorado I have to constantly moisturize.....
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.