I Struggled Today

Soxy

Cathlete
Today I felt something I had not experienced in a long time, "air hunger". Now that I'm in my fitties, I listen to the signals my body sends out. I did X-Train (6) CLB today and I paused so frequently that it took me 58 minutes to do 48 minutes of the program. My heart rate was in it's usual ranges during the cardio & weight portions, but I just felt weak and shaky & like I could not get enough air in during the cardio bursts. Also I felt like I was not recovering as quickly between segments as usual. I've done this workout several times in the recent past without pausing and knowing that when Cathe says, "come on, you can do it, just 4 more reps or 10 more seconds" I usually can. Today I had to hit pause :confused:.

The feeling brought back memories of my younger days when I would experience this "air hunger" during exercise & just push right through it thinking I was just a little out of shape or that I just needed to keep going and I would be stronger next time. I would speak to doctors that I worked with and wondered if this "restricted" feeling was related to my snug fitting compression bras. They thought it might be and assured me my breathing muscles would develop strength and endurance working against the resistance of my bra, and eventually this feeling would probably go away.

Fast forward 20+ years and I was recently diagnosed with Larygo-Pharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPRD), also called Silent Reflux, which I've probably had most of my life. Apparently due to female hormonal changes, I finally developed symptoms that got me to go to a doctor. Luckily I saw Dr.Steven Park (ENT), but his recommendation for elective naso-pharynx surgery was a little hard for me to swallow. (This is a very funny pun since one of the symptoms of LPRD is difficulty swallowing :eek:.) I decided to try lifestyle changes first. Ironically I was listening to Dr. Radio on my way home from work last night and an expert in aerodigestive meidince, Dr. Jamie Koufman, was speaking about how LPRD can lead to inspiratory airway issues that are often mistaken for EIA (exercise induced asthma). Asthma is actually airway restriction during the expiratory phase leading to CO2 retention, etc, and so on. I ate late last night after a stressful day at work & I have a gut feeling (lol) like that might have precipitated my event today.

Anyone else out there in a similar boat?

Hi Soxy,

I don't personally struggle with this condition but want to thank you for your post. I stumbled upon LPRD when searching for information regarding my husband's symptoms a while back, but had no idea it could lead to inspiratory problems. Certainly it has given me food for thought as I have two daughters: one who is a true asthmatic since birth (and can do any cardio as well as run), and another who was once diagnosed but I never believed it as she has never had the symptomatic criteria to sustain that diagnosis. She has, however, always had problems breathing when running or doing any true "cardio", but body-weight and strength training have never been a problem. Your post has given me a new direction to investigate....thank you!

Hope you are doing well!

Julie

Good luck to you both.
I can't say I have experienced this however I have learned from my own physical issues that doing our own research and trying different things absolutely works when the doctors' advice doesn't help or make sense. Your puns are quite humorous:D

Links

Hi Soxy,

I don't personally struggle with this condition but want to thank you for your post. I stumbled upon LPRD when searching for information regarding my husband's symptoms a while back, but had no idea it could lead to inspiratory problems. Certainly it has given me food for thought as I have two daughters: one who is a true asthmatic since birth (and can do any cardio as well as run), and another who was once diagnosed but I never believed it as she has never had the symptomatic criteria to sustain that diagnosis. She has, however, always had problems breathing when running or doing any true "cardio", but body-weight and strength training have never been a problem. Your post has given me a new direction to investigate....thank you!

Hope you are doing well!

Julie

I put an entry in my Cathespace blog for anyone wanting more info on this topic. Warning: It's a longwinded entry, but I included some relevant links. I just know there are many more out there (young & old) who have no idea what actually may be going on in their bodies.

http://cathe.com/forum/blogs/soxy/lprd-21947/

FYI, I get an error a notice to *contact administrator* when I click on the link. Thank you for your thoughtfulness posting the various information.

SNM working on fixing the link.........

More than likely those links are blocked by the forum software. Spammers continually try to spam the forums Blog and to stop them we have to turn a lot of things off like URL's. I'm not 100% sure that this is the cause, but I am pretty sure and will investigate further when I have some more time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.