I still need help with Christmas present

nancy156

Cathlete
Hi - Remember me? Still looking to buy the best weights for my daughter. Now I'm leaning towards adjustable dumbells. Does anyone know anything about either the Stamina Versa Bell Set (it claims to change with the slip of a pin from 5 - 25 lbs.) or the Bowflex 220 Selecttech Dumbells (which claims to change from 2.5 to 20lbs. with the turn of a dial? The Stamina costs $179, the Bowflex $249. So far I've only looked at them at Sports Authority.com but plan on going to the store to get a better look. Just thought that some of you may have experience with either one of these. I don't want something too difficult to change weights but it does seem like an excellent spacesaver which my daughter would appreciate. Below are the links:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2072664&cp=694000&parentPage=family

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1952922

If you like them, and think I could get them someplace cheaper.....

If you hate them and think free weights is the only way to go, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thanks for your help :) :)

Okay, admittedly I've had a few well-deserved glasses of wine here, but how do those things work? How can you change your weights from 2.5 to 20 lbs. with just the flip of a dial? I looked at the pic but I just don't get it. When you visit these puppies, Nancy, I'd love to know how they work. Please report back.

-Nancy the First

No clue, Nancy! And, I've had no wine! Yes, they definitely need to be looked at. I thought maybe somebody had already, or is currently using them, and was hoping to get some feedback from them. I will let you know. (I wish you were sharing that wine with me - what kind?)

"Nancy the First" - cute:)

LOL, Nancy. Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I finally got up the nerve to ask the powers that be for a raise and a promotion at work and my darling DH said my reward for being so brave was to eat at any restaurant I wanted. So I picked my favorite restaurant and paired up the warm wild mushroom salad with a pinot noir and the tuna with tomatoes, scallions and capers with a glass of sauvignon blanc and finished it off with a Mud Pie for two. But I'm glad that you don't understand the weights either. I thought maybe that sauvignon blanc put me over the edge.

In general, I know that people here have avoided the "changeable" dumbbells because they take too long to change, and it's faster to just pick up another set. But the ones you linked to look different. I've never seen anything quite like them before.

-NTF

How heavy does your DD want to lift?
I was at Target the other day, and they had a set of adjustable bells for under $100.00. Can't remember how heavy they went to , however......I think only 12.5 pounds each, but also available is one set heavier. They seemed kinda cool! Check 'em out:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...1?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000208UPK

Julie

ETA: Here are the heavier ones with free shipping:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...1?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00079TNTI

Wow - dinner sounds great! I hope you get that raise and promotion too.

Yes, I hope these weights work well. It would be a great solution.

Thanks Julie. These look very similar to the ones at Sport Authority. I think though that the price is just for one of them. Am I reading it wrong? It says "one" chrome bar, I think the others were for two. I have to look again.

My favorite dumbbells are the neoprene ones. I wouldn't get the adjustable ones because the thing I like about using dumbbells is not having to fuss with how heavy they are. I've just built up my selection as I have gotten stronger. I like the neoprene ones because they have that grippy texture.
Heather

Heather- the neoprene are great, but they are the most expensive of all the dumbbells. I have some in the smaller sizes, but when you get into the larger sizes, I find it pays to get the metal ones and wear good gloves.

-Nancy

Yes, Barbara the powerblock does look nice. I'm going tomorrow to look at these things. I know, I prefer separate dumbells myself. But, her space is limited and she is very fit. She can use 5 lbs. to 20 lbs. and everything in between and I thought this just might be the solution. I'll go look and report back in case anyone else is interested. Thanks for all the help.

Okay....I'm reporting back. I went to Sports Authority and Dick's Sporting goods regarding these weights. The only set they were showing were the Bowflex model which uses a dial to switch the weights. Ingenious really - but, DH didn't like the mechanism and said they were sure to break - eventually. We then went to Target and looked at the Stamina 25lb. Great set. Uses a pin system, so nothing to break really. More girly looking than the Bowflex too. Well, anyway, I still wanted more time to think about it so we left with nothing. Target's price was $80 each (79.9something) plus tax.

I just purchased them online at The Fitness Store for 149.95 for both with no shipping and a 5% Christmas discount. What a deal! I hope she likes them. I know she can use them.

I'm so tired of thinking..................I'm calling out of work for the next two days as I need to catch up on things. I'm tired!x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.