I saw something at the gym last night I'd never seen before.....

Linda - was this the guy at Nautilus/Bally next to CO4??? I remember the guy who used to teach there in the early 1990s! He had a very dead ahead step class, and was a nice level of energy, so I liked it. Did not do complicated stuff, but was fun. Can't remember his name, though. He's the only male step instructor I remember. I think you were in the class with me, too! Only I didn't do the lunch classes; I did the after-work classes.

Linda
Hi Linda!

Nope! The guy I'm talking about was at the Aloha gym at work. I was on loan to PTD Q4-1992 to Q1-1993, so I learned step at that time(and wasn't in CO4 for around 6 months). The guy instructor's name there was John Beckman. So...., there was a guy that taught at Nautilus,too, in that timeframe? If it was John, I don't remember! Does that name ring a bell with you?

I started stepping at Nautilus April(or close to April) 1992 on a Saturday with Mary(she was a sub). Found out her normal class was Mon and Wed, so, that's when you and I were in class together -- at least that is what I remember!:D

When I was in CO4, I didn't exercise at lunch either! A little too far to go,and lunch would have taken too long! But, I remember it being really fun to go to step after work with you! There were a couple of guys in a roomful of women in Mary's class. One was always gawking(I'm sure you remember!) The memories!

I've recently started the turbo kickbox class at 4:30 in JF2. It's pretty fun and not too hard on my knees on that gym floor(I can make it low impact :D)

Thanks for posting the doublestep video. Very fun to watch!
I remember a few years ago(???) someone also posted a clip of Seasun Zieger doing double step -- I was so intrigued!

Here is one I just found on youtube that's energetic and fun to watch(of Seasun's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqM4EZ8Dos&feature=related

Does anyone know of a workout I can buy that has a double step?
Not sure if I have enough room, but maybe I can make enough room!
(I do have at least 2 steps I think!):D

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the doublestep video. Very fun to watch!
I remember a few years ago(???) someone also posted a clip of Seasun Zieger doing double step -- I was so intrigued!

Here is one I just found on youtube that's energetic and fun to watch(of Seasun's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqM4EZ8Dos&feature=related

Does anyone know of a workout I can buy that has a double step?
Not sure if I have enough room, but maybe I can make enough room!
(I do have at least 2 steps I think!):D

I found this

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Alans-SUP...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1282291063&sr=8-4

Video tape though. The only other time I've seen one was a few years ago on e-bay. I've barely got the space for one step let alone two.

Have fun

I found this

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Alans-SUP...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1282291063&sr=8-4

Video tape though. The only other time I've seen one was a few years ago on e-bay. I've barely got the space for one step let alone two.

Have fun

Hey thanks KadetKim.
VHS, huh?! That'd be great to find a DVD version somewhere.
Yeah, it definitely will be crowded(I'd have to take baby steps or temporarily setup in a different bigger room with my laptop and DVD, which this isn't! :confused::D )

Hi Linda!

Nope! The guy I'm talking about was at the Aloha gym at work. I was on loan to PTD Q4-1992 to Q1-1993, so I learned step at that time(and wasn't in CO4 for around 6 months). The guy instructor's name there was John Beckman. So...., there was a guy that taught at Nautilus,too, in that timeframe? If it was John, I don't remember! Does that name ring a bell with you?

I started stepping at Nautilus April(or close to April) 1992 on a Saturday with Mary(she was a sub). Found out her normal class was Mon and Wed, so, that's when you and I were in class together -- at least that is what I remember!:D

This guy was before Mary, and I think it was 1991 or so (right after I started at Intel). But in thinking about it, I think he wasn't married, so it might have been a different guy.

Yeah, I remember the guy who used to gawk in class. I think that's why he took the class! :rolleyes:

Mary's class was fun. I liked it because it was 90 minutes with a solid hour of cardio. These days I find it hard to make that much time available for working out!

Linda

I just found this thread while doing a forum search! I LOVE the youtube clips of the double step classes! How much fun would this be on a Cathe Road Trip???!!!??? HINT HINT to the SNM people!!

I had a male Step instructor on a cruise ship several years ago. Except for Cathe's RT, they were the funnest Step classes I have ever taken! He was more athletic and less "dancy", so his choreography was simple and easy to pick up. By the end of the week, the classes were packed and the class was about 1/2 male! (maybe because of the male instructor?...of course it probably didn't hurt that "Mrs. California" was also taking all the classes!)
As I learned on the last day of the cruise, my fabulous and fun male step instructor was a member of the Australian Olympic basebell team. So much fun!

Wow, that looks fun! But I think I lost them about 15 secs in and would have fell and broke something important by 30 secs. I like step, but WOW!

Nan

Me too. It's fun to watch but they would be calling the paramedics for me after the first 360 turny thing. I'll stick to Step Blast ;)

I've known a couple of male step instructors. One of them at my last fitness centre had been a gymnast since childhood and also actually taught an aquafit class last year; he was fine at that too. A fairly young guy, I used to wonder how he kept a straight face with us while we were splashing around in the pool with all our 'bouncy lady parts' in his full view :p

How on earth are my old threads getting dredged up? LOL!

That double step does look like a ton of fun though! :D

How on earth are my old threads getting dredged up? LOL!

That double step does look like a ton of fun though! :D

Laura,
I was doing a forum search and this came up. It was unrelated to what I was looking for, but I found both the topic (rareity of male Step instructors) and what the discussion morphed into (and the links to double Step) really fun!
And I still think that double Step would be such a blast at a Road Trip!

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.