I need help with Wine

Georgia

Cathlete
Hi! I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and would like to serve wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker, any recommendations?? I prefer something sweet. Not too crazy about "Dry" wine.

Thanks!

:7

My family prefers a less dry wine as well so when I bring wine for Thanksgiving, I always bring a Reisling. It is a white wine - not too sweet, but not dry at all. Both Fetzer and Geyser Peak make reislings that we enjoy and are not too expensive. You might ask the manager at your local liquor store for recommendations as well.

Hope this helps. :)

Personally I love Pinot Grigio it isn't too sweet or too dry. It is my favorite white wine.:) I really don't have a favorite brand usually something in the $6 to $10 range is good. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I take it you're looking for a white wine? I agree that a Reisling would be a good choice. I like a good Chardonnay as well - it's a little crisper and a little less sweet, but still very good. Pinot Grigio is a good wine, just not one of my favorites - it would also be a good choice.

If you want a nice lighter red, think about a Pinor Noir or a Zinfindel (red, not white). the Zin is spicier and goes especially well with the dark meat. Both go well with turkey, and tend to be a little richer and heavier than a white wine.

I'd say go for a bottle that's between $8-$12. I know it's not that big of a difference, but with wine, you get what you pay for, to a point. The difference between a $6 bottle of wine and a $12 bottle of wine will be bigger than the difference between a $20 bottle and a $100 bottle, believe it or not.

I'd recommend a Californian wine from Sonoma or Alexander Valley - more consistantly good quality.

Okay - now the wine snob will crawl back into her wine cave...

*points to post above* Before I get slammed, I know there are fabulous wines from around the world. I merely said to stick with Sonoma County or an Alexander Valley vintage because these wines tend to be consistantly good. You can pick up pretty much any bottle from either location and know you're going to get a good wine.

No slamming here Christine! I lived in Sonoma County for over 10 years and you are right on the money;-)

My husband and I love Duplin wines. They are made from muscadines and have a truly unique taste. Though some of their wines are sweeter than others, they all have a sweet taste. They aren't expensive either, around $10-12. Here's their site:
http://www.duplinwinery.com/

L

For a standard Thanksgiving fare, I would try a White Zinfandel, it's a "blush wine", not white, not red (pink?).

The alcohol will vary 6 -12% by mfr. Sutter Home is good. It's sold in the .750 and 1.5 liter bottles and relatively inexpensive.

The Rieslings are good too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

If you are going to have a red wine option, Pinot Noir is supposed to be good with turkey (that's what I bought for this year). I don't drink sweet wines, however, so I can't help you there, but I would imagine some sort of Reisling or Sauvignon Blanc would be nice.

I agree with the comment about California wines being consistantly good. I myself love many from the Russian River Valley region of Sonoma County.

Shelbygirl

I too was going to suggest a white zinfandel because they tend to be sweeter than some others.

Wine with turkey...you guys are going to be asleep before they bring out the pumkin pie!LOL!!! Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry was dating a woman who's father owned a toy company and she had all these cool toys but wouldn't let Jerry play with them. So he did what he had to do to make her fall asleep so he could play!LOL!! Wine and turkey was one way!

I second the Pinot Grigio motion, and also move for a nice Australian Shiraz. Light, works well with poulty and is gaining in popularity this year.

Sara , isn't that the idea . That way someone else can do the dishes.
I am a wino.
Love wine.
I love Paul MAsson Chablis.
I have tried 50.00 bottles and usually bitter,.
Sutter home white zinfandel is a nice average wine . Not too sweet , not too dry. Everyone usually likes it.
I like the dryer stuff.
I like a good cabernet, but it is a aquired taste. It is dry.
What ever you buy, they will drink it.
Trust me.
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8227804&uid=3969941

I agree with others who mentioned Reisling. I'm not a wine drinker - I only ever have it on Thanksgiving. My Dad always gets a Reisling and it's really good. Not too dry, and not too sweet - it's just right. It's like wine for Goldilocks. ;)

I say get a bottle of each of the above ....hiccup... :+

All kidding aside, I like to have a few different types around so people can choose. I may only open one, two or more ...but they have the choice.:)

Robin:9

We usually offer a choice of 2 or 3 wines. My favorite whites are Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay, and we also like to offer a red like a Pinot Noir or Shiraz. My DH and I don't drink anymore--we're not alcoholics, we just decided it wasn't for us--but we always keep it around for guests and cooking. We'll be taking a bottle of Pinot Grigio for my inlaws on Thanksgiving.

Michele

Oh...Georgia...if you do buy a German Reisling just make sure the label doesn't say "trocken" (meaning dry) on the label since you said you didn't want a dry wine. The most common perception of Riesling wines is that they are sweet, but there are plenty out there that are not... so you do have to be aware.

Robin:9

Thank you so much ladies! I truly appreciate your recommendations, I plan to buy 2 different kinds, so everybody can be happy. All of you are very helpful.

Thanks Robin for the tip, I would have not known that.

You know there is one red wine that is served cold that you might like. It's a little sweet though. It's Lambrusco and it's an italian dessert wine. I enjoy it, and it's inexpensive.

Kathy

I agree with a Riesling but a white zinfandel or white merlot would also be a good one. We brought a couple bottles of white merlot last year and even those that didn't usually drink wine were drinking it. I am not big on red wine but will drink a merlot or Lambrusco.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.