I need cooking advice re: homemade soup

Pearlstrand

Cathlete
I've recently started cooking soups and many of them require pureeing before serving. I have been pouring the hot soup into a food processor, pureeing it, and pouring it back into a pot (or serving it from the container).

The bottom line: It's a messy and dangerous.

Does anybody use a hand-mixer when making soup? I have two questions: Does it work well?

And does it damage the surface of the pots? I use Le Creuset pots, and I'm concerned about scratching the finish.

Thank you!

I use a food mill. There is no getting around having to pour or spoon the hot vegetables, etc. into the mill, but it has a wider top, so it doesn't splatter or drip. I always use a spoon (large, of course) to put the mixture into the mill, then turn the handle and run it through. After that, I do still have to pour it back in the pot, but I use a tall pot, so it seems not to splatter. I have never burned myself or spilled anything and I am a total klutz in the kitchen!

Hope this helps!

I am so accident-prone in the kitchen! Once I was cutting a stick of butter and sliced my finger so badly that I needed seven stitches! I really appreciate the advice and will look into a food mill.

Thanks!

I use a Cuisinart immersion blender to puree soups and it works wonderfully. As to whether or not it will scratch your Le Creuset, I can't say for sure. I use an All CLad pot to make my soup and it's never been damaged by the blender. I LOVE my immersion blender and I can't imagine having to ladel soup into a blender to puree it. That would be an incredible hassle!!

love the immersion blender!

I use an immersion blender and I love it. I don't think it purees as well as a real blender, but it's so quick and easy, and I usually don't mind some chunks in my soups/sauces. I also use Le Creuset pots and have not had any scratches. The immersion blender doesn't hit the bottom -- there is a plastic base around the blades that prevents the blades from scratching the pot.

The immersion blender that I have has a plastic shield all around the base so that you could stand it up in the pot and not scratch anything. I find it is so fast and easy. Having said that if the soup is for company and I make it ahead then I do the blender thing because it makes it smoother. But yes, hot soup in a blender is frightening. I once made asparagus soup and the old immersion blender was broken and had to use the blender. The lid pulled up because of the heat and all my kitchen cupboards were all covered in thick green hot goo. Luck for me it sprayed away from my face or would have had burns for sure!
Mine was really cheap 12 dollars! and works great
Heather

I also use an immersion blender and it is great. I have a Cuisinart one for about $20. Before I would cool the soup and then ladle it into the blender and it took forever or at least it seemed to. One of the best kitchen "gadgets" i have bought. If it broke, I would go out and buy another immediately.

Thanks, all!

I love a good kitchen gadget, so it sounds like I can add to my collection. The trick is to buy the ones that are really useful and avoid the space-wasters.

Yup. Boat motor. aka immersion blender. ;) They are easy to use and clean and not too expensive. I think mine's a Cuisinart as well.

Now I'm mostly a raw foodie so my 'soup' ingredients go into the Vitamix raw. I just let it go for awhile to get warm. Now THAT'S a powerful machine. :cool:

Another immersion fan here. Use it in my Le Creuset, too!! Get one - they're inexpensive and easy. The food mill is also a good option, although still messy. It's really only necessary if you want a really super-smooth soup (but then you would probably add a chinois anyway). For general pureeing, the immersion blender is your best bet.

Another vote for an immersion blender.
As was previously mentioned, the blade doesn't actually sit flush with the bottom of the unit: it is raised a bit, with the plastic housing coming down below it and around it, so it won't touch the pan.

I also found that after a while I started skipping the pureeing step and found I like the soups better. They may not always be as thick but I still like the texture better.

Diana

I also found that after a while I started skipping the pureeing step and found I like the soups better. They may not always be as thick but I still like the texture better.

Diana

The nice thing about using the immersion blender is that you can blend just some of the soup, and leave the rest chunky (which is my prefered texture). You can also do the same by pureeing only some of the soup in a regular blender or food processor.

Thanks for the info. I mistakenly thought the immersion blender was like a hand-mixer in that the blades are exposed and banging against the sides. That's fine for a mixing bowl, but not so great on my LeCreuset. So I appreciate the clarification.

I'm cleaning up my eating habits, since my slowed metabolism is forcing me to eat better, and homemade soup is great!

Thanks to everybody for the advice!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.