I need a super-good veggie soup recipe!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
Ok, I have tried several recipes, and nothing is what I want :(

I am looking for a vegetarian, veggie soup recipe, the kind where your eyes just want to roll back in your head because it's no good! I don't care if there's fat in it, I am just looking a a special yummy soup.

What happens when I make soup, is by the time it has any flavor, all the veggies are mush. In my latest batch, I shmooshed it all together and just saved the broth, thinking if I use THAT as the base with new veggies next time it will be better. BUt I want a recipe that I can count on, where if I make it 10 times it will taste as good every time.

I know I'm asking for a lot and being very vague, but if you have some secrets or a recipe you'd like to share, please do!!! :)

I hope you like it!

my mom has been making this receipe for years - changing the vegetable or beans, depending on what she had. Enjoy!

3 large potatoes, chopped
1 whole onion, chopped
10 baby carrots, chopped
1-2 cup cabbage, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
4 cups water
1 large or 2 regular size can stewed Italian tomatoes (in olive oil & basil)
1 can black eye peas, drained & rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup cooked pasta
1-2 tbs. Italian seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste

Coat bottom of sauté pan with olive oil and stir fry chopped vegetables. Add water and tomatoes, simmer for about 20 mins. Then add peas, kidney beans, green beans, pasta & corn. Simmer another 20-30 mins.

Sprinkle some parmesean on top and serve with french bread :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Here is a soup that I make that I looooove. You would probably omit the ground turkey breast. I never measure anything so I will just give you the ingredients and method.

Browned ground turkey breast flavored with worchestershire S & P
carrots
celery
onion
garlic
canned diced tomatoes
chicken broth
diced green, red, orange peppers
Kale
zucchinni or yellow squash
black beans
packets of chili seasoning

I saute the carrots, celery, onion and garlic to soften a bit
add turkey breast, chicken broth, Chili seasoning and tomatoes
Bring to a simmer
I let that simmer a bit and then add chopped kale, peppers and zuchinni and simmer
but not too long so the do not get mushy.

I mix this recipe up with different veggies such as canned green beans, spinach, or cabbage. I like the soup to be very chili tasting so I add more spices to the soup.

Winter

Here is one of my Favorites:

Vegetable Taco Soup

2 cans Ranch Style Beans
1 can black beans
1 can refried beans
1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream style corn
2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chili's
1 small onion, chopped
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (not fat free)
1-2 cups water or broth of choice

Mix all ingredients in your crockpot. Add as much water or broth as you like to make as soupy as you like. Cook all day on low (6-8 hours). Serve with grated cheese and tortilla chips.

Just a quick suggestion. When you make broth, do you use beef/chicken bones? If not I highly recommend adding them in there and letting them simmer with the rest of your veggies, it adds tremendous flavor. You just have to make sure that you skim the marrow off the top before you eat it.

Beef veggie soup:
1.5 lbs stew meat (of beef roast, whatever you like)
3 carrots
3 stalks celery
1 medium onion, chopped
3 small potatoes, chopped
1 large can of stewed tomatoes
4 cups water
1tsp salt/pepper
1 beef shank (for extra flavor, also add in chicken bones)

Cook all together in a crock pot on low for 8-10 hrs (depending on how 'done' you like the veggies). Remove bones and skim top.

Delicious!

Folks, Govtgirl is a vegetarian, and needs vegetarian soup recipes - no beef, chicken, chicken broth, turkey, etc. Marniski, I think I'm going to try yours (minus the pasta!)

I love this recipe from Vegetarian Times - it is vegan. My kids (7 and 4) love it also. :D

Cheery Chowder

1 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/3 c uncooked long-grain rice (I have used brown rice with good results)
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 c peeled, chopped carrots
1 c chopped zucchini
1 1/2 c peeled chopped russet potatoes (I have used red unpeeled)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c frozen or fresh corn kernals
1 tsp dried basil

1. Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 8 to 9 minutes until softened. Add rice, 2 cups of stock, mustard and 1 cup of water. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.

2. Pour chowder base (rice & broth) into food processor, puree until smooth, then return to pot (or use an immersion blender and puree in pot.) Add remaining stock, vegetables, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in corn and basil and cook until heated through. Serve.

** I have found that I can cook the vegetables in the remaining broth WHILE the rice/broth mixture is cooking. I then puree the rice/broth in my blender in batches and add it to the cooked veggie/broth combo, add the corn and basil and heat through - just saves a little time.

The reason that I love this soup so much is because we are not an exclusive vegan family and I appreciate any recipe that allows me to not have to prepare a separate meal for myself. I can cook shrimp or salmon and this can be added to the bowls of those who "need" it ;). I always have a bottle of hot sauce at the table in case someone wants it spicy.

I highly recommend putting some finely chopped fresh baby spinach in the bottom of your soup bowl, topping it with piping hot chowder and then throwing some hot sauce on...mmmmm.

Per Serving: (serves 6)
150 calories
3g protein
3g total fat (0g saturated) (pretty good for a creamy chowder :))
28g carbs
480mg sodium
3g fiber
4g sugar

I just made this recipe tonight and it was super-delicious!! I added a few more tablespoons of olive oil at the end because it just tasted too "lean" for me tonight. I also added red pepper flakes to add some heat, and instead of just blending 1/2 can of the beans with broth, I also blended about 3 cups of the soup after it was done and then added it back in for texture. Yummy!

Vegitarian Two-Bean Soup with Kale

This hearty vegetarian soup warms up chilly nights. Use any type of canned beans you happen to have on hand, and add rotisserie chicken or Italian sausage for a heftier dish, if you prefer.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Emeril's), divided
7 cups stemmed, chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Preparation
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth and kale. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until kale is crisp-tender.

2. Place half of cannellini beans and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture, remaining cannellini beans, black beans, and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and rosemary.

Nutritional Information
Calories:250
Fat:10.4g (sat 1.4g,mono 5.5g,poly 2.2g)
Protein:11.8g
Carbohydrate:30.5g
Fiber:9.2g
Cholesterol:0.0mg
Iron:3.8mg
Sodium:593mg
Calcium:189mg
Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2009

Here's the link with photo:http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1924699

I made this soup a few days, ago! It was sooo yummy:p I am a a vegetarian, DH isn't! I doubled the recipe, it was so good DH ate all:p

Sun-Dried Tomato Tortellini Soup

The dry-packed tomatoes rehydrate in this quickly made soup, eliminating the need to steep them.

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
2/3 cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I used veg. broth)
2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sun-dried tomato halves, packed without oil, chopped (about 3 ounces) I didn't used that much, maybe 1 cup!
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups fresh cheese tortellini (about 12 ounces), I used Caser Chees torelline)
1 cup chopped bok choy

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Add pasta and bok choy; simmer 7 minutes or until pasta is done. Discard bay leaf.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 256 (28% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 2.6g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.7g); IRON 1.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 25mg; CALCIUM 47mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.9g; SODIUM 681mg; PROTEIN 12.1g; FIBER 3.9g

from Cooking Light

clear.gif

BBBBBB.gif

clear.gif

This recipe is from my mother-in-law. It's amazing. I made it this summer w/ the basil I grew. You'd have to buy a ton of it - but soooo worth it. You could easily use veggie stock instead of chicken stock.

Tomato Basil Soup

3 lbs plum tomatoes, halved
½ c. plus 2Tbs. Olive oil
1 Tbs. Kosher salt
1 ½ tsp. Pepper
2 c. yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. Butter
¼ tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 28 oz. Can plum tomatoes w/ juice
4 c. packed fresh basil leaves
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 quart chicken stock

Heat oven to 400. Lay halved tomatoes on baking sheet, drizzle w/ ¼ c. olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast about 45 minutes.

In an 8 quart pot, sauté onions and garlic w remaining olive oil, butter and red pepper for 10 minutes.

Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes. Put through food mill or blender.

It sounds like a technique issue if your veggies are mushy when the soup is done. Do you start with a boxed vegetable broth? You can sautee or steam the vegetables separately and then add them to your broth.

What kind of soup are you looking for? Tomato? Lentil? Beans/rice? Do you eat gluten, cause if you do, barely added to soup can really make it hearty.

Be sure to season it liberally with plenty of salt and pepper. Also, think in terms of all of the tastes, salty, sweet, savory, I hope that makes sense. So, if you have a broth/soup that seems dull it may need tartness from vinegar or lemon juice. If it has tartness you need to balance that with sweetness which can come from many things like carrots or potatoes. If you have dull tomatoes a little salt and brown sugar (I know its not really clean but whatever.) can balance that. Also, soy sauce can help a soup be tasty. Sauteed mushrooms that are cooked with a little white wine are a good addition. When served, you can add a spoonful of olive oil for flavor.

Are you vegan? If you use any dairy products you can add a little sour cream for richness too.

I love vegetable soup and I always just throw in whatever veggies are around, sometimes beans, but ALWAYS thyme. I think it is key to good vegetable soup and makes anything you put in there work.

My favorite and EASIEST soup of all is called 7 Can Soup:
2 cans Veg-All
2 cans minestrone soup
2 cans Ranch style Beans
1 can Rotel (I use 1/2 can)

That's it!!

I just made this soup yesterday and the family (3 kids and DH) all really liked it. It's great for this time of year. From the latest issue of Fine Cooking Magazine (the recipe is by Ellie Krieger)

Saute until soft:1 diced yellow onion and 2 diced medium carrots in 2T Olive Oil
Add 2 cloves minced garlic and saute another minute.
Add 2 cups of 1/2 inch cubed butternut squash, 1/4 t allspice, pinch or more cayenne pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 qt vegetable broth, 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz) and 4 sprigs fresh tyme (or 1/2 t dried) - bring to a boil, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Add 2 cups coarsely chopped Kale and 1 can drained chickpeas - cook uncovered until squash is tender and kale has wilted (about 10 minutes more).

Season with salt and cayenne to taste.

I also made a pumpkin soup yesterday that was really easy...this is not Vegan, though.
Melt 1T butter over medium heat.
Add 2 cans pumpkin, 1 qt vegetable broth, 1 cup milk (or half/half if you want a heavier soup), 1/4 c. maple syrup, 2 t grated ginger.
Bring just to boiling and add salt/pepper to taste.

I made cinnamon sugar croutons to go with the soup and it was wonderful! To make the croutons you take 4 slices of bread, butter both sides, cut into cubes, toss with cinnamon and sugar. And bake for 10 minutes at 375. Then stir and continue baking for 10 minutes more.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.