I lost 1 1/2" from my waist

MadnNatsmom

Cathlete
Not that anyone asked, but I thought I'd share the ongoing results of my own experiment.

For the past 4 weeks, I have been doing 30-45 minutes of cardio on my NordicTrack in ADDITION to my regular workout. I alternate 40 minutes of running with a FIRM tape or Cathe strength tape for my regular workouts.

The result so far is that I've lost 1 1/2 inches of fat from my waist. I mean, it's visible that my waist is trimmer.

My waist is a huge problem spot for me, always has been. I would wear a size 2 or 4 if it wasn't for my (previously) 30" waist on my 5'2 1/2" frame. Now it's down to 28 1/2 (I tighten my tummy when measuring, but don't suck in. :D)

I haven't changed my diet - I consume anywhere from 1500 to 2000 calories per day, nothing special like avoiding starch or bread (I'm Korean and can't live without white rice).

So, where do I find the time? After my kids go to sleep. This means my 2nd workout session begins around 9:30 pm. My main concern was that this late night workout would affect my sleep, but it hasn't. If anything, I sleep even better.

I think that the average American gets very little activity. THAT plus eating huge amounts of food is what's making us fat. Since I am sedentary excluding the hour when I exercise, I thought I would add another 30-45 minutes of cardio and this seems to be working.

I've read that our metabolism slows down toward the evening, so I thought the late-night exercise would boost my metabolism.

I've also lost 5 lbs, but the inches are more important to me. I'm trying to get my waist down to 26" - it was 24" before my first pregnancy 5 years ago (gotta be realistic!).

So, I'll post again in another 4 weeks. Instead of writing in a journal, I thought I'd post it somewhere public - to make myself accountable and to share my experience.

Well that's just plain ole terrific!!! I'm incredibly jealous.
The thought of exercising at night and then getting up at 5a.m. to exercise again, makes me weak, so I'll leave that to you Wonder Women. I'm in the same boat that you are, re: waist expansion after 1st baby, 5 yrs. ago. I'm trying it with diet tho.

Good luck to you and don't forget to post your progress in 4 wks. I'll be looking for it.

Robin.

MadnNatsmom -

So glad you share your stories, it is real life experiences that are the most important.

How many days are you exercising per week?

Jammin' - so glad to read your post. Did you have your baby already?

Mars - I am averaging 6X per week.

Check out the following link to an article on burning maximum fat from "Runner's World."

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-53-85-628,00.html

Tip #5 says to run for 60 minutes 3 hours after dinner and then another hour first thing in the morning. The morning run will force your "carbohydrate-depleted body to burn extra fat."

I am trying to apply this principle by using the NordicTrack in the evening and running in the AM.

I think this approach is working because I am unusually tired on my morning runs when I exercise late in the evening prior (it's more difficult for your body to convert fat into energy vs. converting carbs, so you feel sluggish).

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for sharing your progress. It is very encouraging. Keep us posted! Just reading your post got me motivated.

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

That is great news. I can totally relate. My waist to hip ratio is out of proportion. I read one time that I would be called a ruler. I also hate for things to be too tight through the waist so most of my stuff is too big through the butt and thigh area. I've just started taking stuff to the tailor to make ajustments and my clothes look better. However, I would like to loose just one inch from my waist. I have been trying to add more activity too because I sit at a computer all day. I also like to read at night so I sit for that too. I just bought a bike yesterday. It's the first bike I've had since I was a kid. I can't believe how things have changed. Anyway...can you say sore! I forgot to ease into the bike thing. I think I will have to wait a couple of days before getting back on it. Sitting on that seat just sounds like torture right now. Congratulations on your loss. An inch and a half is a big difference in your clothes.

Hey MadnNatsmom, that pregnancy didn't make it, but thanks for asking. It's been a while, so I've been back in the exercise mode for about 6 weeks now.

I guess I'll mosey on over to Runner's World and check out that link you posted. 2 hrs at day? UGH!

Robin.

RE: Jammin

So sorry to hear about your pregnancy. Bless you.

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

RE: Jammin

Excellent job! I can relate to being an apple! I have a 29 inch waist and 35 inch hips with no butt and an eternal quest to loose my gut! It's the "Apple Paradox". I need to lose the belly fat but my weight and my BMI are fine and dandy! Keep us posted on your successes guys. You inspire and we can all do it together!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Jammin' - oh, my dear, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I've had a miscarriage, also so I know no words can bring you comfort, but my heart goes out to you.

getyourfreak (what a cool handle):

I do either an hour of a FIRM tape or a Cathe strength tape (MIS, PowerHour, BodyMax (sans the step portion)) on Tues, Thurs and Saturdays. I run for either 30-40 minutes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

In addition to the above, I've been doing 30-45 minutes in the evening on the NordicTrack.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.