I hiked Angels Landing (long post)

elsie3

Cathlete
This is an awesome hike: http://www.nps.gov/zion/photosmultimedia/angels-landing-ehike.htm

Our family was on vacation in Zion National Park last week. Being from Utah, I have heard of this hike pretty much my whole life. Also being from Utah, I have heard the news stories when people have fallen to their deaths on this trail. I love hiking in Zion, but being extremely afraid of heights, I have sworn that I would NEVER, EVER, do Angels Landing! So, when my 13-year-old daughter begged to go, my first reaction was "absolutely not!" But she is athletic and daring (but not to the point of losing caution) and has rock climbing experience, so I decided that if her father would take her (meaning that I didn't have to watch her on the side of a 1500 foot cliff), that she could go.

After they made it back alive, my 10-year-old son decided he wanted to go. So after much internal debate, I find myself 2 days later on the trail with my daughter and son--this time my husband stayed down with my oldest son (who inherited my fear of heights and was the only one wise enough not to want to go). There is a place on the hike called Scout Lookout before you cross the narrow spine. At that point, I'm giving my son the "mother" lecture: you don't have to prove anything to anyone, make sure you turn around if you're uncomfortable, blah, blah, blah--secretly hoping that he'll not want to go any further. Nope. All he says is: "It's okay Mom. You can stay here if you want and I'll go ahead with Katherine." Like I'm going to let my child brave this without me?! I don't know what I'm supposed to do if he slips and falls, but I'm sure gonna try something! So on we go. And . . . it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Don't ask me about the view from the spine--I wasn't looking at anything but the trail--but the view from the top is amazing.

Deja View!

Elsie, this is so weird, but I am wearing my "I Made It To The Top of Angel's Landing" t-shirt right now!!!!! My hubby and I made the trek in September last year and it was the scariest thing I've done to date! We somehow lost the trail and missed the whole chain thing, and ended up scaling up the side to the peak :eek:. I think coming down from that point was the hardest thing I've ever done! I definately want to go back and try it the right way! :eek:

Good for you, it is pretty splendid isn't it? I went almost to the top and left my husband to take our two daughters to the very top because they are mountain goats as he is. I personally cannot handle the exposure even though I have been to the top of many glaciated volcanoes and mountains in this world, Rainier being the second I ever attempted and conquered. But for me, it's just the exposure that paralyses me into blocking the trail for others so I just puttered around where I was, enjoying the view.

Did you get to Bryce also? If not, book that into a future trip, it is wonderful. Sigh..still stuck in MI where there are, as yet, no leaves on trees.......

Clare

Elsie, this is so weird, but I am wearing my "I Made It To The Top of Angel's Landing" t-shirt right now!!!!! My hubby and I made the trek in September last year and it was the scariest thing I've done to date! We somehow lost the trail and missed the whole chain thing, and ended up scaling up the side to the peak :eek:. I think coming down from that point was the hardest thing I've ever done! I definately want to go back and try it the right way! :eek:

What?! Wow--what an experience. I don't know where I would have been without those chains--I was hanging on to them for dear life! You should add "without the chains" to your t-shirt. The "right" way will seem like a cake walk to you. I hope you get to go back.

Good for you, it is pretty splendid isn't it? I went almost to the top and left my husband to take our two daughters to the very top because they are mountain goats as he is. I personally cannot handle the exposure even though I have been to the top of many glaciated volcanoes and mountains in this world, Rainier being the second I ever attempted and conquered. But for me, it's just the exposure that paralyses me into blocking the trail for others so I just puttered around where I was, enjoying the view.

Did you get to Bryce also? If not, book that into a future trip, it is wonderful. Sigh..still stuck in MI where there are, as yet, no leaves on trees.......

Clare

I hear you on the exposure thing! It sounds like you've made some amazing climbs--what an accomplishment.

I love Bryce, but we didn't go this time because it was chilly in Zion and would have been miserably cold in Bryce because the elevation is so much higher. It actually dumped snow in Zion canyon the morning we left--great fun taking down the tent. Gotta love how unpredictable Spring weather can be, right?

Oh my gosh...this post brings back memories...

My husband and I honeymooned in Utah/Arizona (no, we didn't lose a bet). We traveled to all of the National Parks in the Area, including Zion. My husband (of three days at the time!) talked me into doing the Angels Landing hike - mind you, I'm afraid of heights. Well, I got to the point where the chains begin, and my legs literally fell apart. I was shaking so badly that I thought I would fall just from my trembling. There was a little tree somewhere along the trail and I clung to it for dear life and told him to go on without me. After some convincing, he did just that, while I managed to make it down to a flatter part where some Mormons were holding Sunday service. I sat and sang with the Mormons while some chipmunks ate my trail mix, waiting for my husband to come back. He eventually did, much to my relief, and he said to me, "Maybe it's better you didn't go - I forgot how terrifying that stretch of the hike was".

In spite of this, we are still happily married twelve years later....but he knows better now.

P.S. I hiked into and out of the Grand Canyon with no trouble - as long as I have a wall, rock, tree or something on one side of me, I'm OK. I wish I could get 'over' this fear, but I don't think it's ever going to happen...

Karen

Oh my gosh...this post brings back memories...

My husband and I honeymooned in Utah/Arizona (no, we didn't lose a bet). We traveled to all of the National Parks in the Area, including Zion. My husband (of three days at the time!) talked me into doing the Angels Landing hike - mind you, I'm afraid of heights. Well, I got to the point where the chains begin, and my legs literally fell apart. I was shaking so badly that I thought I would fall just from my trembling. There was a little tree somewhere along the trail and I clung to it for dear life and told him to go on without me. After some convincing, he did just that, while I managed to make it down to a flatter part where some Mormons were holding Sunday service. I sat and sang with the Mormons while some chipmunks ate my trail mix, waiting for my husband to come back. He eventually did, much to my relief, and he said to me, "Maybe it's better you didn't go - I forgot how terrifying that stretch of the hike was".

In spite of this, we are still happily married twelve years later....but he knows better now.

P.S. I hiked into and out of the Grand Canyon with no trouble - as long as I have a wall, rock, tree or something on one side of me, I'm OK. I wish I could get 'over' this fear, but I don't think it's ever going to happen...

Karen

Karen, what a story--thanks for sharing. You've given me hope for going to the Grand Canyon, though. Believe it or not, I've never been--but my husband has and he wants to go back so that our kids can see it. We were going to go on this trip, but the North Rim was closed and we didn't have time to drive to the South Rim. Secretly, I was relieved. Now maybe I won't dread it as much. I'm like you: If I can have something to the side of me, I feel so much better!

Elsie, I loved the hike down into the canyon! No where near as scary as Angle's landing!!! We did the Bright Angel Trail (is there some kind of theme here with challenging hikes and angels?) and went pretty far down (we had a late start). The return trip was a good huffer and puffer, but you'll do great: YOU"RE A CATHLETE!!!!!!
Another great hike we did that trip was Pike's Peak in Colorado. We took the cog train up and hiked down. We didn't realize it would be only 30 degrees and snowing at the top...we were in shorts and t-shirts! Bought a hoodie in the gift shop and toughed it out. Three miles down before you hit the tree line...then it started to rain! COLD!!!!! WET!!!!! For about 7 hours!!!!! It was GREAT!!!! I never appreciated a hot tub and bowl of hot pasta as much as I did that night (LOL!!!)!

Elsie, I loved the hike down into the canyon! No where near as scary as Angle's landing!!! We did the Bright Angel Trail (is there some kind of theme here with challenging hikes and angels?) and went pretty far down (we had a late start). The return trip was a good huffer and puffer, but you'll do great: YOU"RE A CATHLETE!!!!!!
Another great hike we did that trip was Pike's Peak in Colorado. We took the cog train up and hiked down. We didn't realize it would be only 30 degrees and snowing at the top...we were in shorts and t-shirts! Bought a hoodie in the gift shop and toughed it out. Three miles down before you hit the tree line...then it started to rain! COLD!!!!! WET!!!!! For about 7 hours!!!!! It was GREAT!!!! I never appreciated a hot tub and bowl of hot pasta as much as I did that night (LOL!!!)!

You gals are actually getting me excited for the Grand Canyon. I like the physical challenge of hiking, and I especially love the scenery, but it's just my brain and cliffs. I think I'll start a 'favorite hikes' thread. It's so fun to hear about everyone's experiences. Thanks for the stories.

Oh my gosh!! I am so afraid of heights and just mentally imagining the "narrow spine" caused me to vow never to go there! My husband is from Utah. I'm going to ask him if he's ever done this hike.....

You are very brave!! :)

Oh my gosh!! I am so afraid of heights and just mentally imagining the "narrow spine" caused me to vow never to go there! My husband is from Utah. I'm going to ask him if he's ever done this hike.....

You are very brave!! :)

Not brave at all--just brave kids! I'm interested to find out if your husband has been.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.