I Had My Baby!

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks but we welcomed baby Evan into the world on Tuesday, May 2nd. He was 7 pounds 6 ounces and 21 inches long.
He's a cute little fellow and I'm so happy he's finally here! My kids are thrilled with their new brother too!!

I gained a total of 35 pounds during this pregnancy which, except for the tremendous fluid retention in my legs, was a pretty easy pregnancy. I started at a fit 137 pounds and by this morning I weighed 154 pounds. My legs are still quite sollen (especially my feet...I had to leave the hospital in slippers because I couldn't get my shoes on) but the muscle tone is starting to emerge now that the fluids are slowly leaving my body.

I had to go into the hospital on Monday night at 10 PM because my water broke. I was only having mild contractions so they kept giving me more and more pitocin to strengthen the contractions. I would have been more comfy if I stayed home but because of the risk of infection, you have to go to the hospital right away when your water breaks. The contractions were getting stronger by around 10 AM so I agreed to have an epidural (I didn't want one because I was scared of getting that needle in my spine! I had one w/ my second baby because I wanted to be awake during my c-section. The weird thing is I wasn't afraid of being wide awake during abdominal surgery but I WAS afraid of getting an epidural!) The epidural didn't totally eliminate the pain. It just made the contractions more manageable.

The doctor checked my cervix around 1 PM and he said I was fully effaced and that in about an hour, I would probably start pushing. Then he went back to talking about the stock market and watching the Bloomberg Report with my husband. About 5 minutes later, I was trying to interrupt their conversation because I thought I was going to have a bowel movement on the table. Before I could finish my sentence, I realized that the baby's head was on it's way out! Boy were we caught off guard! The table I was lying on had to be converted into a delivery table, the doctor had to scramble to get his protective clothing on, and the nurse had to run down the hall to find one of those bassinette thingies for the baby. In about five minutes and three pushes, the baby was out! I tried to remember Cathe's technique for pushing but the baby was coming out so fast that I just didn't know what to do! I basically had to do a massive Kegel to try to hold him in while the doctor got ready. I did have an episiotomy but even that wasn't so bad.

The day after Evan was born, I really felt great! I'm sure keeping up with an exercise program throughout the pregnancy had alot to do with it. The last few weeks I only did strength training once a week but I tried to walk at a brisk pace as often as I could for a minimum of 30 minutes. I was especially conscientious about doing my ab and back exercises as well as keeping the kegels contracted during most exercises (and even while walking). This is not to say that I'm ready to get rid of the maternity jeans yet...but at least my road back will not be as long as it was with my other two kids.

I wish everyone well and to those of you who are still expecting....hang in there! Exercising throughout pregnancy might not result in an easier labor for everyone but, compared with my two previous non-exercising pregnancies, I can certainly say that I bounced back the fastest from this one.

Thanks to Cathe and Sheila and all the other posters who inspired me to hang in there!

Welcome, baby Evan!

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy, Sue.

I am impressed by your "kegeling" abilities. Holding that baby in for 5 minutes -- wow! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Daphne

Congratulations, Sue!

Thanks for sharing your story! I thought scenes like the one you described (stock market discussion with baby's head appearing) only happened in the movies!

I hope you're feeling good and enjoying this special time with Evan. It won't be long before those maternity jeans will be too big!

Sue!

Congratulations and THANKS so much for sharing your story with us. Give that little Evan a big hug from all his Auntie's here at Cathe's! I am elated when I hear a story of someone who was able to exercise right through their whole pregnancy as I was so sick I could barely get out of bed! God bless you & that little miracle!

Congratulations Sue!

Wishing you and your family lots of love and happiness. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. In some ways our experiences seemed similar. I had to laugh at your "massive kegel" description. You're funny! Glad to hear that you and baby Evan are doing well and that your other children are thrilled with their new baby brother too. Take care!

Congrats Sue!

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience! Exercise really does give you the strength you need to deal with the little surprises that come up, doesn't it?

Love the name Evan- named my first Evan.

Enjoy him-they are soooo sweet when they are tiny.

BLinda

Congratulations!

What a great story, Sue. I hope you print this one out and put it in baby Evan's scrap book! I live in fear that I'll go into labor while a Texas Rangers game is being televised and my husband will have his eyes glued to the set while I'm struggling through my contractions, so I had to laugh at your hubby calmly discussing stocks with the OB while the baby was crowning.

Thanks for sharing with us, and best of luck to you and your family.

Congratulations

Congrats, Sue! I'm glad to hear a story of it not being so bad. I still have 3-1/2 months or so to go until my first. I'm trying to keep up with the exercise, but it isn't easy. And like Hazel, I'm afraid I'll go into labor during a sporting event. The Steelers play the Redskins preseason right when I'm due, and my husband being from Washington and me from Pittsburgh, we'll probably be arguing about a call in the game when the baby comes! Anyways, enjoy your baby boy!

Alison

Congratulations!

So glad that you had a fairly easy labor, as labors go. Evan is a beautiful name. Enjoy your new sweet little boy!

Kristin

Welcome baby Evan!

Congratulations on the birth of your sweet little boy. What a delivery story! Let's hear it for super-human Kegels!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

I loved reading your labor story! Knowing I have to go through labor makes it a little easier hearing about a successful one like yours! Also thanks so much for the encouragement about exercise. I'm sticking with it even though it's so hard to get motivated with this big belly! Hee!hee! I know that when i didn't exercise with my other pregnancies, I recovered so slow and had a hard time. But with my last pregnancy and my pregnancy now, I'm consistantly exercising and it's so amazing how fast I recover from labor and delivery. Although it does take me over a year to lose all the weight, at least it's permanent weight loss and not a quick fix! I love this forum!

congrats Sue!

That is so great Sue! Congratulations to you!
Trevor

Congratulations !!

Congratulations Sue and family. I hope that everything is going well for you and your little one. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Sheila Watkins

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.