I got hubby to workout with me!

MelanieC

Cathlete
So I'm really excited about this. After 6 years of trying to get my husband to lift weights, he finally started. Over those past 6 years, I tried to reason with him on all the benefits of strength training and tried to show by example how much I enjoy it. But he was never interested.

One night as I was preparing to do an XTrain workout (I think it was Burn Sets), I just casually asked him "do you want to join me?" And much to my surprise, he said yes!

Since then we've been doing two strength workouts a week and we just started throwing in a core workout once per week. We started off with medicine ball abs - which is a fun workout especially with a partner.

He says that wants to continue strength training as long as we can do it together because my encouragement keeps him going. I'm so happy about this!

My challenge now is to pick workouts that can easily be modified so that we can do them together and so that both of us working at different levels will feel we're getting a good workout. His favourite so far is Pyramid Upper, we also find Burn Sets & the other XTrain weight dvds great to do together.

:)

Congrats on getting him to jump on board. For years my DH would watch me workout to Cathe while he used free weights and Paramont weight machine. He never seemed too impressed until I talked him into doing MM with me. He is a total convert now. MM is his favorite, but he loves STS plyo legs too. We spin together inside in the winter and cycle together outside. I think it's the thing that has brought us closer together. One thing I know won't ever happen together is any chorographed cardio. He can barely get the warm ups under control. I tease him constantly about it and point out Cathe even graciously asks the men in STS to warm up on the bikes (here is where I whisper "because they have two left feet too", just to make him feel better).
I hope this turns into a long fitness journey for both of you. :)

I am happy to report that my DH is a Cathe convert....but only as far as her spin dvds go....for now.... He loves them compared to some other weirdo spin dvds that just weren't as athletic and had added all this eastern mystism and "feel it" mumbo jumbo.....now if you're into that ...great....but I call it mumbo jumbo because IMHO it does not belong on workout video when what you want is a hardcore workout and not someone telling you to explore your feelings! :confused: also the set he had (about 6 dvds I think)... In each one the people irritatingly mugged for the camera and sometimes were weirdly sensual!! Agh!

Anyway..DH got totally sick of that and loved Cathe dvds because she got down to business!

He still will not lift weights though..I wish he would...he used to play football and he said he has lifted enough weights for two lifetimes and will not anymore....:(. So he is my cyclist extraordinaire now!

I love reading stories like this! Spouses working out together...LOVE it! My husband still prefers the gym despite our impressive set of fitness equipment at home. He loves to run on the treadmill which is something we don't have. I bought him some TRX straps but they've never been used. I wish he would give STS a try. I don't complain though...at least he's exercising! :)

I have been trying to get him to workout with me for 30years with no luck. Luckily, my boys worked out with me!

This post encouraging. I would love for my hubby to lift weights with me, but like one of the others said, he played football in high school & is not interested in lifting more weights + he says he gets too bulky through the upper body when he lifts weights but I think it's something we could do together like the Pyramid or Burn set workouts. We do walk together but I can't go as far anymore because I have trouble with my feet, but we still do what we can given my limitations. Maybe I get the courage to ask him. Wish me luck.

Mine won't work out with me (scared?) BUT he has started Pilates!!! He had 3 lots of abdominal surgery last year, so he needs to build core strength. I think the fact that our Pilates instructor is rather attractive has something to do with it however.........

Working out together

I enjoyed reading your post ladies. This goes to show the persuasive power/skills us women have ;-). I guess it feels great to use such gift to get someone change for a better lifestyle. I bet this must feel empowering to you!

Studies shows that couples who workout out together stand much chance to stay together :p:eek:.

I have been single for a while so can not comment much about that:):)
I just thought you might need to know!:);)

My husband is a former runner, he signed up for a relay race as motivation and is so far doing great with his training. Before he signed up he barely got off the couch! He would watch me workout and occasionally join in but tried to do too much too soon and would be sore for days.

I asked him to do a 30 Day Plank Challenge with me, saying that the core strength would help his running form so he was hooked. The first day the plank hold was only 30 seconds which also made it hard for him to say no! I used a Cathe-like line, "c'mon you can do anything for 30 seconds!"

He will still never do any choreographed cardio. He has joined a gym for some cross training and though it's cheaper for him to workout at home, I'm glad he's exercising. Honestly, having him do weights with me took too long b/c we'd be fighting over the same poundage ;)

His running though has inspired me to sign up for my first 5K and I am NOT a runner so this is a super tough challenge for me. Even if I can't run the whole race and have to walk some, I'm looking forward to the challenge and future 5K's to improve my time!

Stacy - that's great that you're each pushing one another. I decided to try a 5k recently (like you, I'm no runner) - I did the C25K programme, which got me through it with relative ease. I've actually decided I love running!

Not something I'd want my hubby to see me do though! My style is perhaps a little ungainly :eek:

Justine

Studies shows that couples who workout out together stand much chance to stay together :p:eek:.

Nathalie - I agree with this. My husband & I have always been best friends, but I have noticed that since working out together, our relationship has... deepened? Maybe that's not quite the word, but its something fun we're doing together and encouraging each other throughout - so its all positive. :)

He wants to buy his own barbell now. ;)

Nathalie - I agree with this. My husband & I have always been best friends, but I have noticed that since working out together, our relationship has... deepened? Maybe that's not quite the word, but its something fun we're doing together and encouraging each other throughout - so its all positive. :)

He wants to buy his own barbell now. ;)

Studies shows that couples who workout out together stand much chance to stay together.

I should have added to my statement above the fact that working out together with husband, boyfriend, partner/compagnon does help in keeping the spark in the relationship:p:eek::D;)
It is all positive:):):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.