I don't feel crazy...

cindy_975

Cathlete
I had promised a friend last year I would do a marathon with her (Avenue of the Giants in N.california)...well, that's in 6 weeks! I just got back from a month long vacation where my main achievement was NOT gaining any weight and not getting sick. I had planned to work on mostly full body resistance workouts after the vacation since I had just completed Insanity and I know I lost some muscle but now I don't know. I have run in the past, but never a marathon. I'm oddly not intimidated (maybe I should be!), but mostly worried that too much weight training might negatively impact the running training since I'm out of shape.

any idea or suggestions ?

Thanks

Cindy

How much are you running now each time you go out for a run? If you are not running three times per week, distances around the 8 mile mark, you cannot prepare for a marathon in 6 weeks.

To suddenly dramatically increase running training without a running foundation to build on you are definitely setting yourself up for an injury. It takes a couple of months for endurance to build up to run a marathon, but it takes even longer for a non-runner to become a runner and for the beginner's skeleton to adapt to the pressures of running. Even though cardiovascular endurance picks up quickly after you begin a running program, between 4 - 6 weeks after you begin, the skeleton begins demineralization and it can take up to 10 months for the skeleton to rebuild itself and get stronger. So, it takes time to start out and slowly build a base upon which to begin marathon training. That's if you want to run injury free and actually enjoy it.

If you are a non-runner, you should readjust your goal to begin NOW for next year's marathon.

if I have misunderstood your post, I apologize. But to think of you starting from nothing to running a marathon in 6 weeks time is a scary prospect.

If you are already a runner, pick up a book on marathon training by Jeff Galloway. He's a sensible man and he knows what he's talking about.

Clare

good info :D

I've been looking at some schedules for training for a marathon, and those look fine to me. I have run quite a bit in the not so distant past, so while I'm not in great shape now I figure I can probably be in good enough shape in 3-4 weeks so I can re-evaluate my progress. I guess my question was more aimed at strength training while training for a marathon coming up so close.

Oh, wait.its not in 6 weeks! It's in 10 weeks (I forgot about march..silly me)

thanks
Cindy

Cindy:

I did not specifically answer your question regarding weight training while training for a marathon because it seems immaterial to me. Here's why:

Please go to runnersworld.com. There you will find a whole stack of plans for successfully running a marathon. I just looked up the one entitled "Runners World Marathon Plan for Beginners." This is the plan they recommend you follow on the previso that:

"It is geared for those who have run for at least a year, three to four times per week on average. Each week features three days of running at an easy pace, a long run, and three days of rest. The long runs, which many rookies dread from the get-go, start at just five miles and gradually build to 20 miles a week toward the end of the program."

This program takes 16 weeks.

I am not trying to dissaude anyone from running and meeting a challenge, but I do fear that your current plan will lead you to injury because it is not long enough to train properly for a beginner, which you are, even if you have run in the past. Like I said earlier, now is a great time to start training for a marathon in 12 months time.

http://www.runnersworld.com/personaltrainer/plans.html

Good luck.

Clare

I've been looking at some schedules for training for a marathon, and those look fine to me. I have run quite a bit in the not so distant past, so while I'm not in great shape now I figure I can probably be in good enough shape in 3-4 weeks so I can re-evaluate my progress. I guess my question was more aimed at strength training while training for a marathon coming up so close.

Oh, wait.its not in 6 weeks! It's in 10 weeks (I forgot about march..silly me)

thanks
Cindy

No way! You cannot safely train for a marathon in 10 weeks. Training requires a minimum of 4 months for established runners, and preferably longer if one is new to or returning to running. Not to mention, Avenue of the Giants is a challenging course. Please be safe, and as Clare advised, put it on your calendar for next year.

Do they offer a half-marathon you could do instead? Could you walk a good part of the marathon and take lots of breaks? I'm sure you could run the whole thing, and then be in recovery for a year. Unprepared people hurt themselves very badly when they do marathons, but more importantly, they then lose their enthusiasm for running and racing. Not worth it for one race.

I agree with the advice here - and learned a few things myself (thanks Maddiesmum).

I know there are people "out there" who do just as you are proposing but it is a rare individual who can do that injury free and enjoy the process and the race.

As for the weight training question, I have consulted with two running experts (people who coach marathon runners and long distance relay teams) for my own preparation for a marathon on May 1. One recommend weight training only 1xweek and NONE the month before the race. The other said a couple times a week is ok but light weights/high rep to emphasize endurance.

Two close friends of mine are experienced marathon runners and they suggest a day a week of leg training can really help your running performance. This can mean high rep/low weights work or hill running.

You have to choose one or the other and if you choose the marathon, any weight training you do should be geared to complement your running. 10 weeks is not enough time (IMO) and you would be making it worse if you didin't have 100% focus on getting ready for the race.

I totally agree with what everyone else has said here....you need to build a good base in order to run the marathon without injury. Long runs are probably the most important and you only have about 8 weeks (with at least 2 weeks to taper before the race) so that's really not a long time. You should peak at about a 20 mile long run so you only have an extra 10k to run on race day to cover (and believe me, it will feel like another marathon when you get there, lol!)

You didn't say what your "base" runs are so I'm assuming they're at least 8 miles? If so, you might be able to do it if you start this weekend with a 10 mile long run and build. I never increase more than 2 miles from my last long run and I take "step back" weeks for recovery. For example:

Week 1: 10 mile long run
Week 2: 12 mile long run
Week 3: 8 mile long run
Week 4: 14 mile long run
Week 5: 16 mile long run
Week 6: 8 mile long run
Week 7: 18 mile long run
Week 8: 20 mile long run
Week 9: 8 mile long run
Week 10: marathon

The runs during the week could be shorter, for example:

Mon: Cross training (or rest)
Tues: Run 3-4 miles
Wed: Cross training
Thurs: Run 4-5 miles
Fri: Cross training
Sat: Rest
Sun: Long run

But if your base is 3-5 miles right now, you'd need at least another 4-6 weeks to build your endurance up. You don't want to go out there and try to run 10 miles if your longest distance to date is 5 miles, it's too much of an increase and will probably lead to an injury. Just some suggestions, I normally start training for the year in January and let each race "build" into each other so I can do several in a season. HTH.

Kathy

Cindy:

I did not specifically answer your question regarding weight training while training for a marathon because it seems immaterial to me.

Clare

Agreed. I also totally agree with Clare's first post about setting yourself up for injury. A marathon really can reak havoc on a persons body. I can't even tell you how many people I know who have completed a marathon with little to no training and have injured themselves so much that they now no longer run, . .either due to foot, knee, or hip problems.

So my advice would be to start your running training 4 months ago. Weight training is helpful but like Clare mentioned immaterial. You need to train for cardio endurance.

I didn't read all the posts but this much I know from personal experience...

YOU CAN'T FOOL A MARATHON WITH LACK OF TRAINING.

You can run a 5k or 10k with little training, even a half marathon. But there are few people who can run a marathon with little training. If you try you are setting yourself up for injury. Plus even if you finish you won't have a good clock time which would really irritate me. Sorry to be a downer but I am just warning you. You are better off running a fall marathon with enough training.

Plus even if you finish you won't have a good clock time which would really irritate me.

Just curious why this would irritate you? Most first time marthoners only have one goal....to finish. ;)

Plus many people aren't in the "fast" category so do you think they should not run or attempt a marathon? :(

Kathy

For me personally I would never again run a marathon without good training. I have run only 4 marathons and I consider finishing every one of them an accomplishment. For me personally I have times that I myself consider good and others not so good. If I know I didn't train well and did not have a good clock time then I feel that I didn't work hard enough. Everyone has their own goals and I think that is great and everyone's goals are different. I am very competitive with my own times and am always looking to do better. I would be irritated knowing that I didn't do as well as I can do. I didn't mean it to be offensive to anyone.

Running a marathon is brutal. The training is brutal, especially when you work full time. I have been running for 16 years consistently and just did my first one in May of last year. I did the training as prescribed and my ITB still hurt and my toenails turned black. My toenails are still not back to normal. Gross, I know, but tis the life of a long distance runner.

I suggest you watch The Spirit of the Marathon. It is a good movie showing the trials of training/participating in such an event.

I went to Chicago to be a spectator/cheer on the runners this last fall. The looks on those runners faces when the miles were in the 20's is one I will not forget. I had that same face.

My time did not matter. In all my races I just want to run the whole time. I did that for my marathon with a four month training program.

I love working out, so I carefully followed a training program. I did not want to be injured and not be able to exercise after the marathon. I was fine in the end. Dealt with some problems, but everything turned out well for me.

Please be carefull! I honestly feel you are not making a wise choice.

To each their own though. Do what you want to do. Good luck.

For me personally I would never again run a marathon without good training. I have run only 4 marathons and I consider finishing every one of them an accomplishment. For me personally I have times that I myself consider good and others not so good. If I know I didn't train well and did not have a good clock time then I feel that I didn't work hard enough. Everyone has their own goals and I think that is great and everyone's goals are different. I am very competitive with my own times and am always looking to do better. I would be irritated knowing that I didn't do as well as I can do. I didn't mean it to be offensive to anyone.

Oh absolutely understood. I only do the best to MY ability and forget the rest. I'm just very happy to still be running after a serious knee injury and surgery (non-running related). So just crossing the finish line at this point (after completing the training) feels awesome! :)

Kathy G

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.