I did it- my first P90X workout!!!

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I know, I know, most of you have done P90X now. In fact, you're the ones that enabled me to try it out!! }( My dh & I started today. I'm so excited that he's doing the workouts with me. We took our fit test, measurements, & before (good bye) pics.

I have to say though, thanks to the Gym Styles (especially Chest & Triceps) for getting my body in shape for the pushups. I was able to do more pushups than my dh. ;-) Although I still can't do a *full* pullup (can only do them from bent arm), I know that I will be able to do them by the end!!

So... any advice/ words of wisdom you'd like to share w/ me? I love it already, but will miss my beloved Cathe's while we take this journey. :-( Am I gonna be sore tomorrow?? (oh, and we did Chest & Back, and then I did Ab Ripper X alone because my dh was worn out!) I actually didn't find ARX as tough as I thought it would be, but it will be a good change of pace!

I know I don't post that often here, but thanks for inspiring me to try out something new! :p I hope to be sharing my after photos in 90 days! ;-)

Hey Jess~
So glad you're doing an X rotation...I predict it's gonna have a place in your heart right alongside Cathe. :)

I thought that it was gonna be tough for me to embrace a 90-day non-Cathe rotation, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised and instantly became hooked. I've found it to be a refreshing change of pace and a good shake-up for my body. I don't think you are looking to lose any weight, but I am working on losing about 20, and at first, I was a little discouraged that the scale seemed to go up a lb. or two. I thought I was gonna have to up the cardio & switch to doubles for phase two, but it turns out (as you know from chattin' on the cheetah thread), I couldn't quite swing that with the energy-draining meds I was on. Even so, I discovered that although the scale didn't move much, I lost 7.5 inches in one month's time --without my usual level of cardio. SO, my advice is to do the weights as is and sub for some of the other things when you feel like it (this way, you could work in some Cathe and get your fix), and trust that the program works, even if it is different from your usual approach.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about the other w/outs.

~Cathy :)

Yeah, this will definitely be the change I need. I'd be happy to see some measurements drop, especially the waist & thighs!! I'm just glad my dh is going through it w/ me, it was fun working out w/ him last night!

I know, all of you Cheetahs inspired me w/ all of the P90X talk. You know I'll be keepin' you posted on the results!

And hi Marcia!! Thanks for the support!!

Congratulations on your first P90X workout! I'm jealous that your DH is doing it with you. I wish mine would. Well, maybe for my 2nd round because I know I'll definitely be doing another round after this, maybe after a couple of months' break.

I'm only on my 2nd week of the X but I really think Cathe helped me there with Gym Style Chest & Triceps. The pushups aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I really like the variety of pushups in P90X. The cardio (Plyo X and KenpoX) is not as intense as Cathe but are still good workouts. I find the workouts just fly by in P90X. I like that the breaks are incorporated into the workouts and that you can see how much time is left in the workout. The toughest think for me is the chinups and pullups. I have yet to do one but I come closest with chinups (up to 3/4 of the way). I like Ab Ripper X. It is definitely a challenge. I'm not used to doing abs 3x a week so I'm definitely feeling it. I've done almost all of the workouts except for Back & Biceps and Chest, Shoulders & Tris and I love all of them. I love working out with Tony and I don't find him too chatty. I don't really pay attention to the music or lack thereof because I'm concentrating so much on what I'm doing. I find the leg workouts enough for me and I like the fact that it's non-weighted leg work. After doing Yoga X, I've developed a new love for yoga again. I am pretty much following the Nutrition Plan and I pretty much follow somewhere between the Phase 1 and Phase 2 eating plan. Writing down what I eat definitely helps me.

Marcy

Jess,

Dh and I are doing P90X together too. We are on week 3. Our entire body hurt during week 1. I love working out with him! Especially since I can outdo him in Legs&Back. He can outdo me in pull-ups. I currently struggle with pull-ups. ;-) I have to do modified ones.

You didn't find Ab Ripper X to be tough? Wow, you must have a stong core. I can't even do it all. You'll enjoy yoga then.

I don't have any words of advice or wisdom. Have fun!

Oh, that's great!! Another dh doing the X! My dh is pretty sore today, but he's ready to keep at it! I happily out pushuped (is that a word?? ;-) ) him y'day, but he can out pullup me. I can't do the pullups either, I'm using the chair modification & still feelin' it!

I think my core is pretty strong, I can do all of the ab work Cathe throws at me! :) If only workouts got rid of stretch marks & loose skin, I'd be set!! :p

Thanks, Marcy! Hopefully your dh will be joining you soon!

Oh yeah, Cathe has definitely helped me along w/ the GS C & T. I like the different types of pushups too. The time countdown is nice too! Good job w/ almost a full chinup! I'll be there soon, I hope!

Good luck!

Thanks for starting this topic Jess. I'm waiting for the UPS man to arrive with my P90X any minute now.

It great to hear what your first experience was like. I'm dying to try it.

The description of the abs 3x week sounds just what I need. Oh the sweet anticipation!:7

Oooh, the anticipation!! Mine got here last Thurs, thankfully I was lucky & bought mine from a friend for the trade of a high step. ;-) (which I ordered here of course!) I usually work my abs at least 3x a week, so I might add on a CoreMax or other Cathe ab work of choice. ;-) We'll see how Core Synergistics is, that one looks like a goodie!

Good luck to you, Swifty!

Jess,

I've got the same problem with the stretch marks. I don't think I'm ever going to get rid of them. (I've had them since I was pregnant almost 19 years ago.) Even with losting weight and tightening up, I've still got them.

Core Synergistics is a great workout, unlike any I've ever done. I think this is one of the best of P90X. The plank to chaturanga runs were toughest for me.

I can do all of Ab Ripper X, but the roll-up/V-up combo, the seated bicycles and seated crunchy frog are really tough for me.

Marcy

Good job, Nicole! Are you doing classic? That's what I'm doing but will add in some doubles at times. (like today, I did PlyoX twice, once this morning by myself & then ended up doing it this evening w/ my dh. ;-) )

I'm just doing a protein shake made w/ light soymilk. My dh had some Gatorade after Plyo though, he was a bit shaky (but he isn't a regular exerciser, so it's much harder for him!).

I hate stretch marks! I've lost over 70 lbs since my 3rd dd (plus gained & lost a lot w/ each pregnancy) & I don't think mine will ever go away either. Yuck!

I'm looking forward to Core syn, looks like a goodie! I think those mason things at the end were the hardest. I don't have troubles w/ the v-ups, I've been doing pilates teasers for a couple yrs now.

Day 3 for me tomorrow, Shoulders & Arms!

Nicole,
I don't use the recovery drinks. I drink protein shakes, but not after every workout.

~Cathy :)

>I just started today as well and I'm looking forward to the
>changes. Did any of you use the recovery drink or did you just
>drink a protein shake afterwards?
>
>Nicole
>
>Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time
>for illness.
>-Earl of Derby-
>
>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=7738930

Nicole...Just wanted to let you know that there are a couple of X checkins on the Check in and Challenges forum...We have a group called the Xers and we have people currently doing the X and some X grads as well...feel free to come over and join, if you are not already part of a check in! Jess just joined us today. Good luck with your journey!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.