i can't do it!

mommacody

Cathlete
how bad is it that i just can't seem to cut out all alcohol from my life? i would like to think that it's not the wine that is the only thing standing between me and my six pack. i am very happy with my progress and i do eat clean. but at night when the kids are in bed, i really enjoy having a glass of wine with dh, and i feel like i just don't want to give that up. for some reason i am able to turn away from the greasy processed food and i have no trouble turning down dessert. but on a summer night by the pool, i want to have a cold beer without guilt. why is it that this is harder for me than the food? there are worse things, right?

Let's re-phrase that to "I don't want to do it." If you can give up greasy processed food and don't have trouble turning down dessert, then you CAN turn down alcohol. I have to ask if when you drink it IS only one glass of wine or one beer. If you CAN stop at one, than yes, do it without guilt, keeping in mind that you have to allot for the calories just as with any other goody. If you are dependent on alcohol other than just as a thirst quencher, then it's a more complicated issue.

oh yes, that's all i meant! i have alcoholism in my immediate family, so i'm actually overly conscious of how much i drink. i have no problem stopping, and can and do go lengths of time without it. i probably should have clarified that a bit :)

Again, everything in moderation. If you enjoy having a beer by the pool, go ahead, enjoy, and stop feeling guilty about it. Life's too short. And a glass of wine is fine. I think we put way too much pressure on ourselves sometime.

Quite franky, if I had to choose between dessert and a nice glass of wine or port, I'd take the alcohol!

I can relate! I have been reading for quite some time about "clean eating" on these forums and have heard more than once that alcohol is not exactly part of the plan! It's been the only thing that has prevented me from going out and reading about it myself! I do get the jist that I am pretty much "clean" in the food area, though, and I imagine like most diet theories out there that you probably cut the booze out totally and then add it back in moderation. My husband and I were at lunch today while the kids were at camp and we had a couple bloody marys and were laughing about how it wasn't even noon on a Wednesday. Then we got to talking about the fact that we do have a glass of wine (or two, okay, sometimes three) on pretty much most days of the week and if that is bad! Then we just shrugged our shoulders and finished our drinks! I also work out hard and eat no processed food or sugar but would also love to see an official six-pack. I have often wondered if it was the wine! I guess I'm just sympathizing with you, no real words of wisdom! I'll toast you tonight with a cool glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc!

Cody,

I think it is important to enjoy things and not feel deprived. If you enjoy that glass of wone or beer with DH then you should continue. It sounds like you have given up other things and a drink is your one "guilty" pleasure. I am just not a fan of being too obsessive or taking the enjoyment out of things.

DF and I started eating clean a while ago. He really likes drinking a beer after work or on the weekends (sometimes more than "a" beer). He gave it up for two weeks because we were eating super-duper clean for two weeks, but when we went into the tidy phase (IMO more manageable for the long run) he started drinking beer again. It hasn't seemed to make a big difference because he is still losing weight and feeling better.

We also allow ourselves to be less strict on the weekends.

Anyway, the point is, clean eating is great and extremely beneficial but you also have to continue doing things you enjoy. A drink by the pool with DH on a summer night sounds like fun to me!

Don't you mean "on a summer night by the big hole in the yard that is supposed to be a pool but right now looks like a meteor crash site so that's what I'm telling the neighbours it is"?

:p

I love working out and feeling good about myself and I love, love, love Cathe's DVD's more than anything. But sometimes all of this "eating clean" stuff really gets to me. I have suffered too long from eating disorders and will not let a cupcake or a couple of glasses of wine drive me crazy. I'm over it. I think you are absolutely right to feel this way. If you want to cut it out and are that into getting the six pack, you'll do it. But don't make yourself crazy. Life is WAY too short to cut out the little things that make you happy.

Allison

lol shelley - that's exactly what i meant!! i think i'll need to go find a smoke machine to make the site more authentic ;)

OMG Shelley you just about made me pee my pants on that one. Good thing I haven't had all my water for today!

A glass of wine or a beer after the kids go to bed is not going to ruin your efforts. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you cut EVERYTHING out that you enjoy in search for the "ultimate fit body" then you will likely find yourself miserable very quickly and then you could REALLY do damage so don't sweat it, girl!:)

Yep, moderation. I don't think you have to cut it out completely. Life is too short to be that strict with ourselves all the time. Enjoy yourself a bit ;)

Debbie

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
-Calvin & Hobbes

Enjoy your wine!

I was drinking a glass of red wine each night with my dinner, but I noticed that I was putting on weight!

SO.........now I only have a glass on Friday or Saturday nights, or maybe both! That is it for me!

Enjoy in moderation!

"Life is short so be the best you can be every day of your life!" :)

"Running feels great for my soul!" :)

:) CHEETAH :)

>Oh, i hear you. I love my wine, and cosmopolitans...
Anne
>AKA
>Storm

To the OP: Don't beat yourself up over it. This is going to sound weird but maybe measure out your wine? Or try every other night?

Anne: The cosmos are good aren't they? It's so nice to have a drink on the patio in the summertime.
Unfortunately I've also discovered the white chocolate martini and the appletini. Luckily, I've kept myself in check.

Hi Cody,

I have a similar problem with Cokes or Pepsis in my diet.

I just refuse to give them up completely.

At one time I drank 6 to 7 per day.

I have, however, been very successful in lowering the amount I drink to only one, by not eating 3 hours prior to bedtime and keeping food diary.

I have definitely lost inches because my clothing is getting loose.

The way I feel about it is that life is too short to deprive oneself of at least one hedonistic trait.

So I am drinking only one Coke or Pepsi per day.

I agree, Allison!

I am not into the anal retentive clean eating all the time routine.

People who eat clean all the time are not very much fun to be around others are not into eating clean all the time.

It is a turn off to most people when a person gets so into clean eating that it is all they think or talk about, especially if they exude a self righteous attitude about working out and eating clean.

In fact, I think when a person obsesses about clean eating all the time, they set themselves up for failure by falling off the wagon and end up at a higher weight than they were prior to the clean eating all the time routine.

I think that it is all about moderation, not deprivation.

I am having fantastic results by eating foods in moderation - I measure everything I eat, and taking vitamins and by kicking my noctural munchie habit.

I am pretty sure I've lost 5 pounds. My clothing is fitting looser. I go to the doctor next week and will surely be weighed.

I can't do it either and wonder if that's what's between me and my rock hard abs...haha. Every week I tell myself I will cut out the wine over the weekends but I just so so so love my cabernet and malbec, etc. I "usually" don't drink during the week but feel deprived if in a situation on friday/saturday where I'd like to enjoy some wine. I have no problem cutting junk,grease,desserts but my wine.....no way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.