I am pretty sad today...

luvmylbb

Cathlete
I am not here to whine to you guys but I have to pretend that i am strong in front of my family so i am here to vent, if you are not intereted in hreading this I am not offended what so ever :). My sweet 6 year daughter has been confirmed of celiac disease. It has been pretty heartbreaking for my husband and I , evebthough we know that it is controllable through her diet. We just feel like a part of her is going to miss out on being a normal kid, plus stisfying her taste buds has been tough. She loves her bread!!!! Anyways if anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it :). For those of you that don't know what celiac is, it is a gluten intolorence whichi is found in everything. THank you for letting me vent .

I don't have any advice or words of wisdom...I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that. That is a bummer but like you said...it is completely controllable via diet...and I'm sure you are aware that she can outgrow this as well at some point? My cousin had it and outgrew it. Just something to hope for in the future.

Take care!

I'm sorry you are feeling so sad today. I don't have any personal experience w/celiac disease, but I am familiar with it. I also don't have any words of wisdom for you.

My sister is a diabetic, and it was so hard to grow up watching her have to take daily shots and I felt so bad that she couldn't have sweets. After she was diagnosed, I gave up sweets because i felt so guilty that I could eat them but she couldn't.

I also have a son who has had a lot of physical problems. Unfortunately, we have yet been able to get a diagnosis.

All that you can do is be positive for her and be willing to make some dietary changes as a family. You have to embrace the disease so she doesn't consider it a burden, otherwise she will go through her entire life hating the disease.

Tammy

That does stink :( But, on a positive note, I have heard from lots of people that most kids get used to a diet restriction or other type of restriction to help deal with a health issue and manage just fine. They are much more flexible than adults in that respect ;)

Good luck :)
Christine

i'm sorry to hear that!!! i am not very familiar with that disease, but i do know that there is an entire section of my health food store that has gluten-free foods. i don't really know what they consist of, but i thought i'd throw that bit of info out there. it must be hard on her being so young, but at least she will have her eating habits formed early on and won't struggle with it when she's older. who knows, with science and medicine as advanced as it is, they may have great meds for this soon. i hope so!!;-) vent all you want. there are great listeners around here and we take turns venting:D

jes

Vent all you want. It is normal to feel bad that she has to deal with this at such a young age. I have also seen gluten-free products and hopefully, she will like them but it still isn't easy to make such a big change in diet. Good Luck and keep being the great mommy you are. Hugs to you and to your daughter. She's lucky to have you!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I just want to send lots of hugs to your family. I don't have children, but I can imagine what sadness and anxiety you must be feeling right now. Take Care, and always feel free to vent here! That what Cathe-Friends are for :) :)

I'm sorry it is very hard to deal with food intolerances especially gluten. I have two children in my Nursery School who have wheat intolerance. One of them has a very long list in addition to wheat, eggs, almonds, blueberries, peppers, dairy, and it goes on. They are both fine with making the adjustments. They can both have spelt flour and rice products. I'm not sure with Celiac Disease if you can have spelt. I suspect not, I know you can't have oats, right? So it's even more limited than the two little guys I have. But, children adjust much more quickly than we do and your daughter will be okay. Do some experimenting with yummy treat things, and make up a batch to put in the freezer so whenever there is a birthday or special thing where everyone else gets a treat, she can have something too.
Heather

(((((hugs to you)))))
It must be very hard for a kid to be so diet restricted. I feel for her and you. I hope you can have a positive attitude with the whole situation, and you can come here to vent any time!!!
Judy
"Likes2bfit" since 1999

I'm so sorry about your daughter. It must be pretty overwhelming to have to change her diet--you're really going to have to be aware of everything she eats. I think your feelings are totally understandable. Hang in there --once you get the hang of it you will soon be an expert and her diet will become second nature to you. Pretty soon you'll be on the boards and full of wisdom to pass along to someone else ;)

Michele

(((hugs))) coming your way for your daughter and your family.
Food intolerances and allergies are difficult to deal with. My son has been allergic to dairy and eggs sence birth. He will get hives and eventually have breathing problems to the point of stop breathing. It was difficult for my husband and I to adjust to his diet. I found ways to make things that resembled what we ate or what other children were eating. My son is now 11 years old. He is so use to his diet and we are too. It really does take time and a positive attitude. Good luck and let us know how you all are doing from time to time.

Take Care,

Elaine

ps Have you tried rice bread? I'm not sure what it taste like but it is worth a try.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am sending you ((hugs)) as well. I do have a list of some websites that may be of interest to you.

Here are some links to websites about Celiac disease and Gluten insensitivity that I have on file:

* http://www.celiac.org
* http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/celiac.html
* http://www.csaceliacs.org/
* http://health.yahoo.com/health/centers/digestive/44.html#anchor1
* http://www.aglutenfreelife.com/
* http://www.gluten.net/

Also, there's an Australian company, Orgran, that makes wonderful gluten-free (gf) products. YOu can contact them via their website to find a health food store that sells their products at www.orgran.com.

Finally, there's a great magazine with gluten free recipes and articles. It is called Living Without for people with food allergies. (www.livingwithout.com). You can order it online or you can probably get it at a good health food store.

It's all gonna be FINE, trust me. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 17.

There are many great breads made from rice flours and nut flours and so many great foods you can get at Health Food Stores and from many websites for your daughter.

If I can help let me know [email protected]

Love
Edith
:+

Thank you all so much!!! Just to let you know, I am not sure who it was that was saying their nephew out grew celiac, but it is not something you outgrow. THe reason why I am letting oyu know is that there is a lot of misinformation out there and I hope that eventually everyone that does has this does get diagnosed as I know from my experience with my daughter, that it can be quite painful and cause a lot of other problems. THank you all again!!!
Take care,
SHEri :)

One of my friend's daughter's has this. She makes it seem like it is no big deal so that her DD doesn't think anything of it or feel "different". (she does complain a lot about how much more expensive the gluten free food is, though x( ) i can only imagine what a struggle what it must be for you. I am so sorry. she can still have a normal childhood, though. She can still play soccer and join girl scouts. There are a ton of kids who are lactose intolerant or have diabetes who have to bring their own snacks to school and softball games. I don't mean to sound insensitive at all, and I hope that I am not coming across that way, but the less of a deal you make over it, the less of a deal it will be for her. I am pretty sure that you can find substitutes for bread. They make gluten free cookies, I am sure there must be bread as well.

Again, I am sorry and I know this must be hard for you. Sending hugs your way!!

Missy

I work for a food manufacturer and we get calls about gluten sensitivities all the time. It seems to be affecting a lot of people.

For the record, Daisy sour cream is gluten free.

Hope that helps

I agree that your daughter will adjust easier than if she found out as an adult. Good luck with getting all the information you need - you are right, it's in so many things!

You ARE strong and you vent rather nicely too! Take that from someone who has vented poorly at times. ;) That is a rough diagnosis for a young child. I think she is lucky to have a mom with such a wonderful attitude. Check this out for gluten free kid friendly foods: http://www.gfcfdiet.com/YummiSnackPak.htm
Good luck to you and your husband and your daughter. :)You can do it! Blessings!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

Celiac is exactly what my best friends daughter was diagnosed with about 10 years ago. It did take quite some adjusting and I remember her frequently asking what was in certain foods at restaurants so that her daughter ate only what she was suppose to. Today, she is a thriving 14 year old who's a really good pitcher on her softball team. She has grown and developed just fine. I do remember years ago, she did look a little thin and pale, but so do a lot of other 5-8 year old girls. I guess I'm just trying to show you that it is something that can be lived with.

I do remember her mother baking her special cakes to take to birthday parties so that she could eat some too. They have adjusted but I do know in the beginning it was very time consuming.

Thinking of you.

Sami

ETA: This little girl seemed perfectly normal growing up, like I mentioned earlier, maybe a little frail at times but she has always and still participates in gymnastics, goes to the pool, and hangs out with her friends. Her mom would just make sure she packed her some food when she went to friends houses. They just all got used to her bringing her own food. Sending good vibes your way.

If you guys like PF Changs & Outback steakhouse and have them near you they both have special Gluten free menus. Awesome foods.

AND, I wanted to reinforce to the poster who felt they had a fmaily member outgrow Celiac's that one does NOT outgrow Celiac's. Could be extremely dangerous to believe this and even life treatning.

Love
Edith
:+

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.