Hypoglycemia?

tvan_horn

Cathlete
I have been doing some research on hypoglycemia and have found that many of the symptoms apply to me. I haven't been to the dr yet and had a glucose tolerance test done. I would like to order a book that addresses treatment/diet. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Hi Tina! I, too, suffered from symptoms of hypoglycemia for the past 12 years. It started in high school. One day, I got this weird, shaky feeling, and all I craved was sugar. Since the girl in front of me was selling Skittles for a fundraiser at the time, I bought a box and downed the whole thing-it was like my body was telling me something. At that time, my doctor sent me for a normal blood test and also wrote me a prescription to get one when I was feeling the symptoms. It didn't really show that my blood sugar was that low; he said it was probably because my body had already started bringing it back up. I read a book about it (The Low Blood Sugar Handbook), and followed some of what they suggested (eating small meals throughout the day), but I still didn't watch my diet too much. Two years ago, when I got a new doctor, I was sent for the glucose tolerance test, but it came back o.k. Hypoglycemia is one of those strange things that doctors don't tend to take seriously, even though we know that the symptoms can be scary!

I started on Weight Watchers last summer, and since then, I have cut out most white bread (for wheat), and eat more cheese (low-fat) and almonds/nuts. It made a world of difference, as I hardly get low blood sugar anymore! I don't believe that any medication exists for this condition-you just have to control it through diet. Another thing I do is make sure I have a hearty, low-sugar breakfast. I hardly drink any o.j. or any juice any more-just water and diet soda. I hope this helps!
-Jen

Hi, unlike you I was oblivious to my problem till a serverely low blood glucose reading showed up when I was having tests done. More checks revealed my pancreas produces too much insulin in response to eating food...the higher the food's glycemic index (speed at which the food turns to blood glucose)...the worse the reaction.

I bought some books up front that were highly recommended but they were way too extreme for me to follow. Hypoglycemic Handbook is one I think. Anyway I ended up seeing a registered dietician and got my own plan put together. I basically follow a plan similar to a diabetic since the same food that are bad for them are bad for me.

Really bad offenders:
white flour and products containing it
white, refined sugar
alcohol
tobbacco
caffine

Some people have problems with fruits, I don't except bananas and I can even eat those in moderation with other food. Other important aspects are to eat frequent mini-meals, don't overeat at one sitting, don't skip meals especially breakfast, and always eat protein and fat with your carbs. Try to stick to complex carbs. Avoid fruit juices or other foods high in natural sugar (concentrated).

This all assumes of course that you are hypoglycemic. If you aren't none of this may help, so I'd definitely see a Dr. It is a totally controllable condition with a little effort.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to follow up with my dr., but in the meantime, plan to work on cleaning up my diet and eliminating the foods that seem to aggravate me.

One other question for you - If either of you work out in the a.m., what do you eat before working out? I used to eat a banana and then start working out within 5 minutes. I get up about 10 minutes before I start working out. Just enough time to eat a quick bite and get dressed.

Okay - here is another question - How quickly do you have to refuel after a workout?

My symptoms seem to be worse since I have been working out so much. I know it is partly due to higher metabolism from my increased muscle mass. Have either of you experience this.

Thanks so much,

Tina

I eat 3 egg whites and 2 pieces of whole wheat bread about 30-40 mins before swimming for 60 mins. Afterwards (after shower) I eat kashi go lean cereal and 1 cup of ff milk and sometimes a few peanuts. The other days that I do kickboxing I can't seem to eat and jump up and down so I just eat right after I finish working out. The kickboxing I do at home anyway so it's not like I'm having to wait too long to eat. After it I eat the 3 eggwhites, whole wheat bread, soy sausage, and ff milk. The main thing I have found is in the morning I need to get some solid protein a little fat, and complex carbs. Fruit tends not to work for me in the morning. Later for a mid-morning snack fruit and say peanut butter works fine. It's just that first meal that seems to set the tone for the day.

I do all my weight lifting and yoga after work so I just eat a good protien/fat/carb snack about 1 hour before I workout then too.

All of this is really trial and error. Everyone is different and some cases are more servere than mine. I have been very lucky that I can control mine with simple diet modifications and regular exercise. I wish you the best in your journey. :)

Hi Tina, I usually don't work out in the a.m.-I always say I am going to, but then I don't. I get my workouts in in the evening. For the few times that I did get up early to run, etc., I made sure to have a glass of o.j. and some almonds or peanut butter. Since I work out in the evening, I don't fuel up before because I usually workout after supper. But, when I am done, I will usually make myself a snack of peanut butter on wheat bread or a frozen smoothie of frozen strawberries and o.j. Hope this helps!
-Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.