Hyperthyroid

boydjess

Cathlete
I just recently got diagnosed with a hyperthyroid. I am scheduled to go in June for a sonograms and CT scan to see if we can determine what is causing this. In the mean time my Dr. put my on Inderal which is a beta blocker and it is supposed to settle me down. They can not put me on thyroid medication because it would interfere with the test results. I was doing okay for a few days and then the last couple of days the shaking started again along with all the other junk. Then yesterday my eyes started going crazy I felt like I had tunnel vision or something and I was not able to read or focus on anything. I then got a awful headache and was down the rest of the afternoon. I have lost about 10 lbs(in a 3 week period) which might sound good but so far but it just seems to be like it is eating away at my muscle. I feel and look awful up until now I have not been able to work out because my pulse was so high I would just throw up and I really had no energy for anything. I decided today that I am going to just try to do light weights and see if I can handle it. My husband keeps telling me to just take it easy but this has been going on for about 1 month and I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to feel healthy again and have the strength to get up and play with my kids again...

Anyways I know I am babbling I just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this and what your experience has been. Any tips or suggestions??

I am Hypo (slow thyroid) and I take a pill (synthroid) everyday to regulate my thyroid. I am just fine. I work with a woman who has hyperthyroidism and they had to kill the thyroid and she has to also take medication everyday. Hopefully yours isn't a severe situation where they would have to do that. But I can tell you that it takes awhile before they get you on the right dosage. They will start you out with a low dosage and you go back in a few months for a blood test and they determine if you need a higher dosage. Your siutation is nothing to fool around with. DO NOT DO HIGH INTENSITY EXERCISE!!! You could really do some damage. I am not a doctor of course but I do know something about thyroids. Be careful until you are examined. Remember your metabolism is skyrocketing right now, you don't need any help in that dept. Stay positive.:)

Edited: Read up on hyperthyroidism, this may help you better understand your condition!

Your husband is right. Hyperthyroidism is nothing to fool around with. I would not do any exercise at all unless your doctor permits you. I know you're impatient, and it's hard to feel sick all the time, but once they have diagnosed your problem and treated it you will be back to normal. I've known several people with the ailment, and it is very treatable. Just hold on a little longer.

Nine years ago, after the birth of my son, I was diagnosed as Hypothyroid. I lost the pregnancy weight way too fast, was always out of breath, had shaking hands/arms, could not get up from a squat without pulling myself up (you do lose muscle), my heart rate was racing, I was sweating profusely and my blood pressure was crazy. The endocrinologist diagnosed me with Grave's Disease. He wanted to treat me with radioactive iodine (RAI), but I insisted we wait until I was finished nursing (my son had problems at birth and I felt he needed the breast milk more than I needed treatment). They put me on Inderal to bring my heart rate down. In 6 months, when I finished nursing, I was sent for a Thyroid uptake test and it came back normal. I think I stayed on the Inderal, and took it when my pulse went over 90-100bpm. Six months later the symptoms returned, only not as bad, went back to endocrinologist, more tests, and finally RAI to try and kill the thyroid. Eventually, after RAI, you become hypothyroid. Supposedly, this is very treatable. I am currently having problems with my hypo symtoms, but I am working on it. You will feel better, it can be fixed, and your muscles will return, along with your energy! It is very frustrating, but you will get better! On the positive side, my thyroid problem is what motivated me to start exercising consistently. Before I would exercise for a month or two, then quit for several more, no consistency. Hope this helps!

Lili

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I am going to stay away from intense exercise for now and just try to go for walks with my kids. I am going to try to eat healthy as well so that maybe the muscle won't keep disappearing...Hopefully in June after the testing I will start feeling better and can get back into the swing of things.

Thanks again,
Jessica

Lilmagill,

I think you mean you were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, not hypothyroidism. Just so Jessica knows, hypothyroidism is where the thyroid is not producing enough thyroid hormone. It is quite common nowadays and those of us who have it take synthetic hormones.

Hyperthyroidism, including Grave's Disease, is where the thyroid makes too much hormone. The symptoms are more serious, and it must be carefully watched and treated by your doctor.

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.