Husband tore tendon from quad.....

Worknprogress

Cathlete
This past weekend my husband tore the tendon from his quad and will be having surgery on Wednesday. According to the MRI it is not completely torn but after a fall yesterday with now considerable more pain, they think he might have torn it some more but nothing more they can do but surgically repair it and until then, just treat him for pain.

Has anybody had this kind of injury? He has been told that he will be required to be immobile for 4 weeks after - no driving, etc. and that he will have months of rehab/physical therapy.

Any experience any one can share with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

so sorry to hear about his injury. I don't have experience with that particular injury, but did shred my ACL a number of years ago. How did he manage to do that?
I thought a blown ACL was the end of life as I knew it, but it wasn't anywhere near as awful as I expected. I followed all directions and did great. If he's an athlete type and otherwise in good shape, he'll figure out work-arounds and those of us in good shape to begin with always do vastly better in recovery than couch potatoes. I wish both of you ( this kind of procedure gets the whole family involved) the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

Can you believe he did it jumping on our trampoline with our little guys???

He is not in shape and hasn't worked out for a very long time. We have found out that he has to be pretty immobile for 4 weeks after surgery and then months of rehab/physical therapy.

He won't even be allowed to drive for 4 weeks.

He is not handling this mentally right now and is pretty upset at how helpless he will be.

Wow, a trampoline! I thought it was probably downhill skiing or snowboarding! sometimes an injury is a wake up call to get in better shape. My DH works out with Cathe along with me. we were active before we found her, though. maybe you'll be able to convert him after he's put back together. it should flow pretty easily from physical therapy...he'll be in the habit of doing something every day so it's a good opportunity to make exercise a lifelong habit.

It's too bad he's not in shape. There's a guy at my gym - very big, very in shape, and a cop. He was camping last fall, came out of his tent, and his front toe planted wrong in a rut, giving way and as he fell the toe that was planted stayed stuck. He went down on his knees and the heel of the stuck foot ended up touching the top of his butt cheek - totally shearing the quad muscle heads and tendons. Like your DH, he had surgery the next day.

He came to the gym after being discharged in a straight, immobilizing unit. This guy was at the gym every time I was there, working upper body, limping around, modifying, and doing what he could. It was his way of dealing with the frustration. But he LISTENED to his docs. Once the immobilizer came off he was still very gimpy, but went SLOW into PT. Again, he listened and didn't push. I watched him go from walking like Frankenstein, to little bends, to slowly getting on the stair climber and using teeny steps, to TM walking. Last week I saw him biking. He's back to work and his docs say that he did in 2 and a half months what it takes most patients 3-4 mos to do. BUT - that's because he listened to his body, still stayed active, and was smart about it.

I will say this - watching this guy now, you would never know that at Thanksgiving he could do nothing. So while it's hard to deal with, it's doable. Good luck to your DH and to you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.