HUMIDITY

desertambrosia

Cathlete
My hats off to all of you that live with humidity on a daily basis. It's hot here today, been raining, and it's humid. Certainly not as humid as some of you deal with. However, I am used to zero humidity. My husband travels to the East Coast on a regular basis, and the humidity blows him away. How do you do it? I guess it's what you are used to, right? I admit, I'm a humidity wimp. I salute all of you dealing with this. Yowsa!

That is why the East Coast is nice and green :) I love the East Cost :) We were stationed twice to El Paso, TX. I don't like the desert…dry heat, sand storm. You get the sand everywhere in your house :) Hardly any green grass or trees. I take the humidity any time :p I love the East Coast! Love green grass and lots of trees. You will get used to the humidity:D

I think it depends on where you live on the east coast. I live in SW FL and it's been hot an humid since March. I've had my ac on since then. There's no "fresh air" when you go outside because nothing feels fresh when the temp is 96 but feels like 112F outside. It's suppose to be rainy season here but most of June was still dry for us, but we still have the humidity without the rain. The "drier air" is higher up in the atmosphere and that stops the rain but not this humidity. I've lived in this part of FL since I was 3 yrs old (I'm one month away from 41) so been her pretty much my whole life. It's still hard to take even after all these years.

True! You can get used to anything. When it's hot and humid, poolside and air conditioning! I live in New York State and the winters can be friggin cold! Southerners new to the area get freaked out by it. I enjoy the changing of the seasons with autumn my favorite. I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I lived in Florida and Texas years ago.....Holy hair frizz!! NO hair product could tame that mess!

Last edited:
That is why the East Coast is nice and green :) I love the East Cost :) We were stationed twice to El Paso, TX. I don't like the desert…dry heat, sand storm. You get the sand everywhere in your house :) Hardly any green grass or trees. I take the humidity any time :p I love the East Coast! Love green grass and lots of trees. You will get used to the humidity:D

Thank goodness we don't get sandstorms here. This is the high desert. Hot in the Summer, and can be cold in the winter. We do have the mountains, that make for some of the best skiing on earth. Like our license plate states "the greatest snow on earth." We have very long and beautiful "indian summers," and spring is nice. Summers are very hot and dry. We lived in Seattle for years. Very beautiful there. Nice and green. Temperatures are very pleasant. We also lived in Dallas, for a couple of years. I would spend the afternoon in my kids blow up pool. We own a house in Connecticut. I rarely go there in the summer. It's a very old colonial, with no air conditioning. I would be sitting at the kitchen table, and the sweat would be running down my arms and back. Like I said "kudos," to you. It's a very different kind of beautiful here. It's a desertambrosia.

Last edited:
Thank goodness we don't get sandstorms here. This is the high desert. Hot in the Summer, and can be cold in the winter. We do have the mountains, that make for some of the best skiing on earth. Like our license plate states "the greatest snow on earth." We have very long and beautiful "indian summers," and spring is nice. Summers are very hot and dry. I lived in Seattle for eighteen years. Very beautiful there. Nice and green. Temperatures are very pleasant. We own a house in Connecticut. I rarely go there in the summer. It's a very old colonial, with no air conditioning. I would be sitting at the kitchen table and the sweat would be running down my arms and back. Like I said "kudos," to you. It's a very different kind of beautiful here. it's a desertambrosia.

Karen, my husband loves the desert…dry heat :) Where do you live? Do you live near the Painted Desert? You are right sweat isn't running down your face :) DH and I went to the Painted Desert last year, we walked around for hours. The dry heat wasn't bordering me at all and it felt much cooler than El Paso. Winters are nice in El Paso, but summers are way too hot. Phoenix, AZ was so hot, I thought I pass out from the heat. I walked from the parking lot to the IKEA :) The Painted desert was very breathtaking and very beautiful :) We had a lot of fun last year. We only wanted to stay 2 day's, we ended up staying a few more :) Thank goodness we have AC in WV :)

I also hate the humidity. I've lived in New York my entire life (41 years) and I still can't get use to the humidity!! UUUUGGGHHHHHH
I hate feeling like I'm walking through a swamp. I'm leaving tomorrow for California for 2 weeks for a family vacation and can't
wait. We are going to Carlsbad and my husband says I'm going to love it. So excited!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also hate the humidity. I've lived in New York my entire life (41 years) and I still can't get use to the humidity!! UUUUGGGHHHHHH
I hate feeling like I'm walking through a swamp. I'm leaving tomorrow for California for 2 weeks for a family vacation and can't
wait. We are going to Carlsbad and my husband says I'm going to love it. So excited!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your husband, you will love it. I have family in that area. Very nice. Enjoy!!

I don't do so well with strong sun or humidity. Have had both with climbing temps here for weeks now. Tonight our eyes are burning and there is smoke in the air due to more forest fires. The earth is really scorching in Canada these days. : (

Last edited:
I don't do so well with strong sun or humidity. Have had both with climbing temps here for weeks now. Tonight our eyes are burning and there is smoke in the air due to more forest fires. The earth is really scorching in Canada these days. : (

We are facing humidity here in Europe and trust me it is really uncomfortable. I have lived and travelled
in tropical places but having to deal with humidity in Europe without the air conditioning is unpleasant.
Because it does not always happen we do not invest in ACs:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
May be we should consider for elderlies especially. When heatwave happen we do have casualties :(:(:(
Just to give you an idea of how bad it can get sometimes.

So true, Nathalie. We have to look no further back than just a week (still ongoing) ago at all the casualties in Pakistan from their extended heat wave (temps were same as they are here now) and dehydration. I can keep myself hydrated all day from the comfort of my tap.
It's interesting here at our house/suite that we didn't find the sun/heat too bad when we had evergreens on the south and west side of the house, but the landlord decided to cut it all down (we asked him again and again not to cause of the birds, but it's his property) and now it gets to be unbearable. Plant evergreens folks to help with temp regulation cause this global warming is just getting hotter!!

Last edited:
So true, Nathalie. We have to look no further back than just a few weeks ago at all the casualties in Pakistan from their extended heat wave (temps were same as they are here now) and dehydration. I can keep myself hydrated all day from the comfort of my tap.
It's interesting here at our house/suite that we didn't find the sun/heat too bad when we had evergreens on the south and west side of the house, but the landlord decided to cut it all down (we asked him again and again not to cause of the birds, but it's his property) and now it gets to be unbearable. Plant evergreens folks to help with temp regulation cause this global warming is just getting hotter!!

Could not agree more...We are facing consequences of global warming:(

I am originally from the Chicago area but have lived in Southwest Georgia for 26 years. The heat and humidity has made me a wimp for the colder temperatures. I'm freezing at anything under 60 degrees and I used to love the cold weather. I think you can get acclimated to anything. I do all my workouts outside and I run too. I do my long run on Sunday mornings -- yesterday at 6:30 it was in the 70's with 100% humidity but it was cloudy so it was nice not to have the sun beating down on you. The rest of week I do my workouts at 6pm outside mainly under a carport. I have a fan and a sprinkler if need be but it works out great.

Ugh. I detest summer heat and humidity. I'm outside of Chicago and walking outside is like walking into a wall of ick. I'm a winter girl. Give me six inches of snow on the ground and let's go for a run. If it's humid and warm, I just want to stay inside. Probably because when I go outside my glasses fog up.

Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.