HSN, QVC, etc.

workout junkie

Cathlete
I'm just curious how many of you order things from HSN, QVC, etc. And if so, what types of things do you order? How much do you keep and how much do you return?

My husband thinks I order too much. I really don't think I do. I just happen to find things on tv or online that I can't get in stores nearby. I admit I might have a bit of a problem because each day I check to see what their daily value is, and sometimes I even set the VCR to tape a particular product-line I'm interested in, and sometimes I sneak in packages so he doesn't know I ordered something, but I don't order a bunch of junk. I'm pretty particular about what I buy. I've gotten some really nice things at reasonable prices that I can't get around here.

Any other tvshopaholics out there?
Melissa

I order a lot from QVC, and less from HSN.

I order jewelry (Taxco silver, necklaces, not the expensive stuff), clothes (Citiknits and some Denim and Company), skin care (Philosophy, Dr, Denese, Diane Young, Bare Escentuals), and some other odds and ends from QVC.
I order more household products (cleaning supplies) from HSN, but also some jewelry and clothes.

I have probably sent back about 5% of what I order (don't like the fit of some clothes, or the texture of a face cream, etc.).

I figure it saves me hours of driving around, not finding what I like (especially in clothes and jewelry) and gettiing frustrated, wasting time, and wasting gas.

I'm a closet QVC addict! I have bought a ton of stuff from there including, like Kathryn said, clothes, makeup, jewelry, household products, and have very rarely been disappointed. They are great about returns, too.

I haven't ordered too much from HSN so I can't really comment on the merchandise they offer.

Sorry, I'm such a dork. I meant to post this in Open Discussion and when I went to read the responses and couldn't find my post I thought "I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section", sure enough, I did.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see there are a few others out there that like QVC especially.

I mostly order from QVC. Some make-up products, MAXX purses, jewelry (I especially like their gold jewelry - unique pieces at a good price), a few clothing items, a few kitchen items. Most of their products are of good quality and they have good customer service. I've even returned things after 30 days.

I used to order Serious Skin Care from HSN, but not so much anymore. I don't care for their merchandise as well as QVC's. However, I do look forward to some of their clothing lines. Got some nice pieces from Randolph Duke and a really nice suede jacket from Terry Lewis that I can't wait to wear this fall. I love their Mirenesse mascara (which kathryn turned me on to). And I got my Urban Rebounder from there too.

My husband just called me a few minutes ago and said "what did you order from QVC now?" I said "a purse." I could hear him rolling his eyes...Darn, I was hoping to beat him home from work. Well, I'm headed home now to open my new purse!

>Hey Kathryn,
>
>Have you tried the Furminator from QVC? I got one and my cat
>loves it!
>
>Melissa

LOL! I saw that last time it was on, and ALMOST ordered it! It's on my "to get" list (though my cats definitely have enough brushes: I was thinking of getting one for home and one to take to the shelter I volunteer at). I need an effective yet gentle de-tangler type of brush, because my cat Scooter is a long-hair (looks like a small Maine Coon cat), but he's diabetic and it seems to have made his more sensitive, and the regular "rough" brush I used to do on him with no problem hurts him. :-( Does the "furminator" break up knots without much pulling?

>Sorry, I'm such a dork. I meant to post this in Open
>Discussion and when I went to read the responses and couldn't
>find my post I thought "I hope I didn't post this in the wrong
>section", sure enough, I did.

Oh! And I responded without realizing where I was either!!

The Furminator

LOL! I just looked up the order number for this today. I have a Himalayan who is a giant furball and hates to be groomed. I get him shaved twice a year, but thought the Furminator would be a good in-between step for him.

Does it work as well as it looks on TV?

>Does the "furminator" break up knots without much pulling?

Well, my cat doesn't have many knots so I don't know if it'd be the best detangling brush. It sure does remove a lot of hair though. My cat is 17+ years old and I was afraid the brush might be too harsh for her, but it's not at all. Those pokey wiry ones at pet stores look painful to me, but this is nothing like that. The only problem with it is I once was a little overzealous with removing the hair and I left a little baldish spot on her side from brushing too much in one area. It really is good at removing excess hair, but not sure about knots. At least it's returnable and it's small enough that it shouldn't cost that much to send back if you didn't like it.

When I see things on QVC I make a "to get" list too and then I eventually order it (and often wish I hadn't waited so long to finally order it) or I decide i don't want or need it anymore.

>When I see things on QVC I make a "to get" list too and then I
>eventually order it (and often wish I hadn't waited so long to
>finally order it) or I decide i don't want or need it anymore.
>

I think that's a good idea. I used to do that with a lot of things (keeping a notebook of "to get" items, and not just from QVC), and found that there were quite a few that, when I got back to them later, I really didn't feel the need for them. Hmmm....maybe I should do that again! Especially for stuff that I can get at any time.

QVC used to have a "wish list" function (for a short time), but they don't have it any longer. My guess is that it took up too much of their server space (or they realized that it's better to encourage immediate buying rather than wait-lists, since maybe there are quite a few people like me who would change their minds once they thought about things).

RE: The Furminator

I just had to chime in here - I have the Furminator and it is a GODSEND! I am not kidding - it works as well as it does on tv. I have short-haired cats, but the amount of fur I get off of them is amazing. I can only imagine what it does for long-haired cats. It is worth the price! :)

>Thanks, Emily! I'm going to order one today. My cat
>literally makes tumbleweeds of hair!

Hey, if you let them accumulate, they are easier to pick up! (Like the dust bunnies...no, make that elephants! Under my bed!)

>Hey, if you let them accumulate, they are easier to pick up!
>(Like the dust bunnies...no, make that elephants! Under my
>bed!)

LOL! I have them, too!:)

I will check QVC occasionally, but I have to admit that I always try to watch during St.Patricks Day and Rose of Tralee. Talk about Irish Dork! I don't always buy something, but the last two I have. I got the nicest poncho 6 months ago, and last week I re-ordered a sweater that I tried to get before but had to send back because it was too big. By the time it went back, it had been wait-listed and so I couldn't get it. I also splurged on my "wish list" item of a Beleek china hurricane lamp. I have eyed it for a year now and finally broke down.

Anyone try Diamonique? I have twice and both rings went back because the stones came loose, and one actually fell out. Is it my bad luck or is is kind of low quality?

I order Bare Escentuals, Smashbox and various other beauty items from QVC. I used to order a lot of the Sterling Silver jewelry, but have stopped buying jewelry because I have so much and I needed money for Cathe DVD's. I've also used Serious Skin Care from HSN, Wei East skin care. I'll have to check into the Mirensse mascara.

I have been a QVC addict for the last 6 years or so. I would always hide the packages from my husband too or I would tell him that I told him about a purchase and he forgot which of course is not the truth..I finally paid off my Qcard. I haven't closed the account yet but I know that I should because it's only a matter of time & I'll be buying again...It's a hard habit to break. They do have some nice things that you can't find anywhere.

I buy alot of things from Northern Nights sheets (they hold up great, love them!) to Bare Escentuals (the only makeup I've used for the last 6 years) and Philosophy (great skincare & amazing grace is the only perfume I wear) to Natures Code vitamins (been on auto delivery for 5 years now) and denim & co to cooks essentials and irish sweaters ( I bought the TSV on St. Patricks day last year, it's beautiful) to diamonique & gold & silver jewelry.

I have the furminator too. I just got my 2nd golden retriever puppy.He's not too happy with it yet but when he gets alittle older I think he'll enjoy it.

I really like the battery operated candles they sell. They're great to use for night lights and make great gifts. You get the ambience of candle light but I don't have to worry about burning down the house.

I've returned a few things here and there. It's hard sometimes getting the right fit when buying clothes especially when I'm in between sizes. I've never had any problems with my returns though...

From the replies, you're not alone in your QVC shopping!
Donna

I also love QVC. It is funny to here people are just like me. I also try to get home before my husband. He thinks I buy something daily. Well almost. Bare escentuals, smashbox(which is on tonight), cooks essentials, and scrapbooking supplies.
I have not bought much from HSN except Italian Bath and Body but have been thinking about Serious Skin Care have heard its awesome.

Yesterday my husband went home at lunchtime and sure enough there was a UPS pacakage there for me. Darn it! I was going to sneak home early and get it (since I tracked it I knew it had been delivered). Sure enough, he called me and asked "what did you order now? That's the third package this month!" Oh pooey him. I won't even start to tell you what he buys...

So did you order today's Smashbox special? I'm thinking about it.

Have you tried Italian Bath and Body's Snowdrop scent? I love it - it's my favorite body lotion. I used to use a lot of Serious Skin Care. Now I only use their Glycolic Cleanser and A-force. I found similar products by Paula's Choice that I use instead. Check out the reviews over on makeupalley.com.

>From the replies, you're not alone in your QVC shopping!

That's good to know! My husband tells me I have a problem with my Cathe workout addiction and QVC/HSN addiction. This is coming from a smoker and a sugar junkie. Whenever I'm on the computer he assumes I'm on this site or I'm shopping for something. Whatever. I should've known someone on Cathe's site could relate!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.