How would you respond?

orangenet

Cathlete
Yesterday my neighbor brought her two girls, 8 and 4, over to pick blueberries as they were leaving she told them to thank me. The 8yo said "Thank you crazy Miss Annette". I asked her why she called me crazy and she said "Well, my daddy says ya'll are crazy". To which her mother to quickly respond that "Daddy thinks everyone is crazy".:confused:

What do you say to that? Do parents really talk about other adults in front of their young children?

I never remember my parents doing this. They never talked about other adults in front of us. It was always yes ma'am, no ma'am and thank you.

I suppose if you really want to know what your "friends" think of you, all you have to do is have a conversation with their children.

I was so addled and perplexed by both their comments that I went in and did a second workout. I guess the good news is that I burned a few more calories for the day. This may be a great motivator to work out more; just talk to your friends children.:D

I am sure I am rambling but I had to vent it out to someone besides DH.

Thanks for listening.
Annette

Annette,

I think the parents are crazy for not watching what they say in front of their children and I think that I would not invite them over for blueberry picking again!

But, at least you got in another workout!!

It's probably just me...but I kinda take crazy as a compliment. Who wants to normal and like everyone else? Besides, his idea of crazy might be anyone who eats with utensils :p

The next time you see the kids, tell them "Tell your daddy crazy Miss Annette says hi!" :D

It is funny because the word crazy has come up in different conversations I have had with DH today. Heck, maybe I am crazy.

I could try to somehow bring up the word crazy every time I see them.

Thanks Ladies for helping make light of a silly incident.

It never amazes me what parents do and say in front of their children these days! I remember my mom and dad would never even raise their voices in front of us, much less talk about anyone!

I agree though! I always take it as a compliment when people look at me weird or call me crazy! I always say thank you!

Yeah, I actually found it very amusing last year when a know-it-all-too-cool-for-school-sixteen year old called me 'weird'. My response to him: you don't know the half of it! :p

It never amazes me what parents do and say in front of their children these days! I remember my mom and dad would never even raise their voices in front of us, much less talk about anyone!

I agree though! I always take it as a compliment when people look at me weird or call me crazy! I always say thank you!

IT could also have been heard out of context. And meant something different.

Just for example, her dad said to her mom, "Annette works out EVERY day and has a ROOMFUL of exercise equipment! That girl is crazy! I don't know how she does it!"

And kids CAN be sneaky. I've said things to my husband and thought no one was listening/around and one of my boys will repeat it to me.

Also, seeing your skydive pic in your avatar, I agree he may have used the word "crazy" in a light-hearted, fun way. You might be the kind of "crazy" he admires. It's one of those words that can go either way, so I think I would choose to read it as a positive and leave it at that.

I think you should take it as a compliment. Mom kind of sounds like she was embarrassed(sp?) by her child's comment. Maybe dad is uptight fuddy duddy.:p

My DD's response any time someone tells her she is weird or crazy is she would rather be that than a slug. Plain and boring.

Jenn

Actually the kid might just have been blathering on the way kids do, and the dad may not have even made this comment.

I once worked in a very stodgy law office; I had a friend there, Rhonda, who had a 4-year-old son. Rhonda brought her son in to work one day; the son was introduced to Rhonda's boss, the SENIOR PARTNER, and a very uptight guy. Rhonda said, Timmy, I'd like you to meet Mr. Smith, and Timmy immediately screamed at the top of his lungs, "Mr. Smith is a Great Big Poopy Head!!!!!!!" Mr. Smith looked shocked and went into his office and closed the door, the rest of us were amused and embarrassed, thinking that the kid was repeating something Rhonda had talked about at home. BUT Rhonda told me later that she never talked about her boss to her son, she had never made that comment to the kid about ANYONE, she had NO idea why the kid had suddenly said that, and she figured she'd better dust off her resume...

It's kinda funny actually! :eek: the daughters of one of my closer friends said that their mommy and daddy (who are both obese) think that I'm INSANE and totally obsessed for working out as much as I do!! I then of course, showed the girls my Insanity DVD's, Cathe, etc.. I wear the crazy/insane title with great pride! :D:DI'd much rather be crazy and fit than "normal" and obese .... whose the insane ones here? Fat or fit??

The cool thing is that both girls want to workout with me someday. The sad thing is that their 11 year old daughter is already developing body-image issues thanks to her fat mom constantly talking about how awesome her daughter's body is. :(:( ALL of us in our close small group of friends keep TRYING to get the mom to focus on her daughter's accomplishments such as school, maturity, calmness, etc.. Argh!!

Sorry to rant, just offering support and empathy... or at least trying to! :eek:

Go crazy Annette!!

Healthy 4th of July hugs to all of us Crazy Cathletes!! :eek::D:cool::cool:

Pam

I'd take my cue about the comment more from how her mom reacted than what the child said. Did mom say "dad thinks everyone is crazy" in a light hearted way or did she look like her child just let the cat out of the bag?

It's not appropriate to have adult conversations in front of kids but far too often, people do.

Any way you cut it, what do you care what they think? :)

well IF the mom and dad are talking like that in front of their children, I agree that they should stop, BUT on the other hand, maybe dad said it and didn't realize it.

kids are so impressionable and sometimes it's hard to watch what you say, but taking it lightly and jokingly (and apparently physically, with the extra workout...you go!!) is probably a fun, easy going way of laughing it off!

we're all crazy! and without us, our worlds would be like a slug...PLAIN AND BORING! hehe:eek::D;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.