How to lower LDL and raise HDL cholesterol..........

It is so exciting to be part of such an important discussion. After mainly lurking here for so long, and getting so much good advice from other people on so many topics, it's nice to have the opportunity to contribute.
Jani22, it sounds like you are doing great, and following a sensible and healthy diet. I am always amazed by the numbers of people who have been willing to undergo all types of surgery and try very potent medicines, but resist having to change the simplest thing--their diet--in order to get healthy.
AerikaJ, good luck, and let us all know your progress. Make sure to have your cholesterol/lipids rechecked in 6 months, if possible.
Hi Janice. First of all, flax seed is NOT bad, and it will NOT increase one's triglycerides. It's still a good supplement to add to your diet, but it is not as high in omega-3's as once thought. It might have even contributed to your grandmother's improvement in her lab values. It would be hard to say why her trig went up, without knowing the meds she is on, as well as seeing a food diary of what she's been eating. So many factors can contribute, and lab values can change so easily. If everything else has improved, and her trig is under 200, I wouldn't worry. As far as your husband, his total chol is great, but the HDL of 33 definitely needs to be increased. Does he know the HDL of anyone else in his family? I am always curious of a genetic link with someone having an HDL of under 40. Please let me know. For your husband, I would definitely get omega-3 oil and put a tablespoon or 2 on a plate of salad every day.
I cannot say how long it will take before you notice any changes in blood levels, because again, everyone is different, and so many factors are at play. Diet and exercise WILL make a change, but genetics is something that is not changeable. Your heart is craving aerobic exercise. Just remember, all changes are lifetime changes for good health, and quality life. Don't worry about the short-term goals. You can look back on those when you are 120.
As for soy and tofu, these are foods that should be consumed daily, unless, of course, you have allergies or a thyroid condition. Some ideas: I use tofu in lasagna instead of ricotta, I eat steamed soybeans (edamame) plain or in salads, and I drink soymilk daily. (Favorite brand is Edensoy light vanilla, or for a splurge, Soy Dream carob). I make a cheeseless cream pie, which is very simple. Take you favorite pie crust. In a bowl combine 3 containers of Tofutti cream cheese, 1 tsp of pure vanilla, and maple syrup to taste (this is usually about 1/4 cup). Blend the Tofutti mixture together and pour into the pie shell. Bake at 350 for about 1/2 hr. then chill. My kids love it. P.S.: many, many years ago the Vegetarian Times did a whole spread on vegetarian body builders, and there were plenty of impressive ones!
Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox.
Good luck everyone!
:D

What an absolutely wonderful thread. I do love coming here and just discussing the issues with food and nutrition. It's much less of a hostile subject than at other sites.

Wonderful information and great discussion!

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

RE: the blood pressure question

I just had to chime in on this one. I am 32 and last year I had Stage 3 hypertension (high blood pressure). We are talking my blood pressure was hovering around 195/120. All the tests in the world found nothing to cause this.

After 2 months of tests, my doctor said "come in next week and we will start you on medication". Well, I am very opposed to taking pills daily so I bit the big bullet ... I quit caffeine.

I mean QUIT, no coffee, no diet cokes, no iced tea, minimal chocolate.

When I went to the doctor one week later, the nurse read off my pressure at 160/90. Needless to say, my doctor checked it many times that afternoon and could not get over that quitting caffeine had that big an impact. Some people are obviously more sensitive to its effects than others.

My blood pressure has maintained in the normal range for the past 6 months. Since then I have been encouraging anyone fighting high blood pressure fears to give a week's try with no caffeine.

Michelle

Janice,
Don't think of soy as an inferior protein. The idea of soy being an "incomplete protein" is from old research, when scientists didn't take into account the fact that rats (on which they were testing) need more of a specific amino acid than humans.

Interesting, kathryn. I haven't read that about soy being a complete protein. Do you have an article that I could read?

I thought that only animal products contained complete proteins. This would be awesome! Mainly because I'm a huge soy nut eater.

Thanks for sharing!

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

that's great on the improvement Michelle congrats.

Today I just got back my dr results 101/60 for bloodpressure and total chollestoral 123 55 HDL and 57 LDL... I know its good but are there any web sites that explain what the numbers mean??

WOW...This is SO MUCH FUN!!!

Robyn..there are websites you can find to give you guidelines just by typing in "cholesterol levels" in your search. You won't find out "how good" your numbers are, as they only give you what they want in a range, and you by far fall into the healthy optimal ranges.

FULLHOUSE... You really are a plethora of information. VERY INTERESTING!! I for one am very glad you came out of lurkdom to post for me on this topic. You have answered questions for me i have had for a very long time. Thanks!! Hey, what else do you know alot about??:):)

Oh no Keta, don't even get us started here!! I did not know soy was a complete protein, only that it could be considered complete if you combined it with another incomplete protein, such as rice?? Same goes for macaroni and cheese or peanut butter and bread. These combos are said to be as good as completes because when combined they give you all the aminos you need. All 9...well, however many essential ones there are... Is this what you mean Kathryn??? I was almost embarrassed to post that one as I knew someone would come back and get me..HA HA. Stupid of me, I know. I love those Eda..whatever soy beans!!!

Oh, and Fullhouse, my husband would NEVER know what anyone in his family's HDL is and for sure they don't even know. He is a big Midwestern meat and fried food eater. He wouldn't even care if it wasn't for me. But I will start him on the Omega 3's. He eats alot of salmon now, so that is good. Thanks for the advice.....Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.