How to get DH

martijean1

Cathlete
Working out with you and eating healthier??

My guy owns a landscape company, and usually gains 20 pounds in the winter and drops it in the spring...Not good, I know...

This summer was a bit different, though...I've been working a ton of hours (afternoons, nights and weekends, I'm in real estate) and haven't been home to make dinner many nights a week...SO, more often than not it's pizza in the pizza oven in the shop, or 4 Costco cookies and a peanut butter and cheese sandwich (YUK!)...I've tried the leftovers thing, but he "forgets" about it...Needless to say, he didn't lose it this year...

He doesn't think he needs cardio, he says he doesn't "have time" to weight train this time of year...UGH!!

What do you do when you've got a guy like that??

MJ in MN

Wish I knew! My husband doesn't exercise or eat very healthy, either. But he's 6'4" and 165 lbs, so he thinks he doesn't have to!

Lori

I make my DH feel guilty as crap if he doesn't eat right. He has been eating better, but he likes to bounce around too much between unclean and clean. If he will just train himself to go one way (clean) then I know he can hang with it. He has lost 5 pounds so far. I know he doesn't have alot of extra time to workout so I don't push it, but he does workout, and he workouts hard, mostly on the weekends.

Charlotte~~

MJ in MN,
My DH seemed to have a very thick head and nothing got through to him until his mother died of colorectal cancer and his dad developed heart disease and alzheimers. I was after him for years and finally asked him if he wanted to end up like his dad because most of these things tend to be hereditary, do you really want to take all those meds, so much that you can't keep track of them. He now tries to eat much healthier and tries to get some exercise when he can fit it in. He avoids sugar especially like the plague, and tries to limit his fat, tries to eat fruit and veggies as much as possible. I think he got scared and wants to be around and enjoy his later years when he retires. I also got him to read how eating and exercise affects the body. Once he understood it for himself, helped him change bad habits. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Colleen

MJ, I don't know what to tell you about diet. My DH eats whatever I put in front of him. I do all the grocery shopping and I pack his lunch bag. I have total control over the food that comes into my house.

If your husband is in landscaping maybe he doesn't need to weight train-- that's hard, rigorus work. I'm sure he gets a great w/o on the job. I don't know about during the winter months though. If he drops his weight in the summer I just wouldn't worry about it.

Michele ;)

MJ in MN

I can be of no help here as I am having the same problem with my husband. It is very frusturating, I know. He built me a wonderful workout room and never uses it himself. Go figure...

Anyway, I am writing because my husband eats PB and Cheese sandwiches too! I thought I had the only crazy one around! What in the world kind of a concoction is that anyway!

Good luck,

Nancy

Edited to add: I am in MN too!

Ugh, I took a bite out of one 6 years ago when we started dating...NEVER again! And I thought straight peanut butter made my mouth stick together...

I guess I'm worried about him this year because he DIDN'T lose it like he usually does...I do agree that he really doesn't need to strength train from April-October (his "season"), but think he should in the winter months...He's active, but my goodness! I'm thankful that he doesn't smoke, rarely drinks and is AWSOME...I just want to have him around forever, ya know??

I'll be working from home for much of the winter, that's when I tend to have the reins on the kitchen and most of daily life...We're kind of "stuck" home together for 5 months of the year...I'll get him to our side yet!!

Will let you all know how things are progressing!
MJ in MN

Peanut butter and cheese in the same sandwich? That sounds terrible! I just can't imagine putting those two things together.

Mine is another one of those who won't eat until its put in front of him - unless its a bag of Doritoes or Cookies. I've just stopped bringing certain foods into the house. He's now off soda and doritoes, which was huge for him.

Beyond that they have to want to do it, everything has to reach their limit before they get fed up enough to change. I keep gently nudging and celebrate the small victories, b/c sometimes it is just baby steps that add up to equal significant change over time. I also never tell him what is in a recipe.

Oh and my FIL eats hotdogs and mayo as a regular dinner (MIL doesn't cook)!

I agree they have to want to do it themselves. DH and I have had some "discussions" regarding healthy eating and I have to say some bits of progress have been made, but only after many attempts. Small victories is right. Baby steps...definitely. The problem in our house is that often times DH cooks dinner and if I make special requests (no butter, no added salt, smaller portions etc) he takes it very personally. I don't know why, but hence, the "discussions" begin.

So, I don't have any answers for you. When you get the answers, please post them so as to make life easier for the rest of us!

BTW, the cheese and peanut butter thing....I couldn't believe it when I read it. Thought mine was the only one. DH eats peanut butter sandwiches with macaroni and cheese. Gross.

:) Nicole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.