How to get better with stability ball

Saker

Cathlete
Hi Cathe

I have a question about using the stability ball. I struggle to use it for a good number of the core and leg exercises you do in your workouts. An example would be the glutes and hamstring exercise in PUB which I was attempting this morning where you have a heel on the ball and push the other leg up in the air. I find that very hard and so I don't manage to get very high or work the muscles as efficiently as I could if I was doing it on the high step. The same is true of abs - I find ab work on my back on the floor much easier than on the ball and my muscles feel more "worked" afterwards, but again I would love to be able to master the ball exercises and reach a new level.

So to keep good form I should probably modify eg. use the high step in PUB - however how will I ever get better if I don't practice with the ball? What I am trying to ask is do you think it is okay to do these exercises with the ball even though I am aware I can't manage to keep such good form on the basis that gradually I will get stronger and it will improve. Or is there another way to approach it?

Thanks for your help. I really enjoy your workouts and it's nice to be challenged:) usually!
Ruth

Sorry I meant PLB not upper. It's funny my legs just reminded of that when I stood up off the chair :D

Not Cathe, but just wanted to tell you the glute and hamstring exercises on the ball are torture for me as well, I always feel totally tense throughout my body, it's hard for me to isolate the muscle. I've tried moving my legs further in or out, but still can never get comfortable. I'm so curious what others will have to say about this.

That is exactly how I feel! I have no advice for you, but I just did PLB last night and I was almost crying with frustration because I could not do those hamstring exercises properly, and I wasn't able to finish the sets. I, too, move my legs around, and can't figure out how to do this correctly. Cathe and crew act make it look so easy, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!

Hi Ruth! You are not alone. Many people feel the same way. I did too when I first started. One thing that I also discovered is that even after you become more comfortable on the ball, the exercises will still always feel different then they do on a hard surface. Initially you may come away feeling a little less "worked" in the way that you are accustomed to but there are other gains and adaptaions being made, allowing you to become stronger and conditioned in areas beyond just your core. These other gains will not only contribute directly to your current fitness gains but will also contribute to your overall quality of life in terms of balance, posture, body awareness etc...... things that help deter ailments/injuries as we age.

For now, here are some things you can do to become more proficient on the ball.

1) Slightly under-inflate your ball making your surface more stable and easier to work on.

2) Initially try leaning your ball against a secure object to provide a more stable environment while developing your ball/balance skills.

3) Write down the exercises and do them on your own at a much slower pace than what is performed in the workout until you develop more balance and confidence.

Finally, I suggest training both ways. I don't find ball training beter than non-ball training. I think both offer their specific benefits. Why not get the benefits of both worlds :7

Good Luck

Thanks Cathe for taking the time to answer and for giving me some new approaches - I really appreciate it and feel a lot more encouraged now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.