How to find Whole Grain Bread

cjbate

Cathlete
Is it just me or is it impossible to find whole grain bread or rolls?

How do you tell? Even the stuff I have been buying in the grocery store that says "100% whole wheat" in the title, has "enriched flour" in the first ingredient in the list. Which means it is not whole grain, or even technically whole wheat.

Anyone have good luck finding this? Brands? STores? I'd even make it myself if I found a good recipe that didn't just call for whole wheat (enriched) flour...argh.

Jen

I think it is very hard! I don't buy any bread at all. I make all mine in a bread machine and the recipe uses whole wheat flour, some white flour and them 10 grain cereal. I like it because there are not any preservatives. Although I have not eaten any bread in quite awhile. If you have a bread machine I'll give you the recipe if you are interested...:)...Carole

If you can find Hogson Mills stone ground flour it does not say enriched on it. I have used this for years. I can get it in most grocery stores. I used to by Arrowhead mills at the health food store. I usually find you have to add a little vital wheat gluten to it because it will not raise as well. My grandmother used to have a grinder with her Kitchen Aid Mixer and bought whole wheat and other grains and made great breads.Now I have that kind of mixer but not the attachment.
Diane Sue

A food coop or a health food store is your best bet. I buy Food for life sprouted grain bread and buns, as well as some other whole grain breads.

If you have a decent grocery store, they will have a health food section and this bread is usually in the freezer. It's really expensive, though. Pepperige Farms has whole grain breads (Crunchy Grains is the one that I like). It's not perfect, it's got high fructose corn syrup in it. But I buy it because there's no way my little girl will eat the other stuff and if I don't share her loaf, it goes to waste. I don't eat that much of it anyway...only a few slices a week.

Thanks everybody!!!! That does help some....

No breadmachine, Carole, but thanks for the offer.

I will try those options....

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.