How to clean a scorched pot???

purple_magada

Cathlete
Yesterday I was going to make filled raisin cookies, forgot I had them on the stive and they burnt to the bottom of the pot. I cannot get the black off the bottom of the pot.

I tried (and failed at all of these):

First just brillo & dawn dish detergent
Then, baking soda
Then, baking soda & vinegar
Then, brillo again
Next I tried bringing cream of tartar and water to boil and used a wooden spoon and tried to scrape it off
Then, went back to the dawn
My last attempt was oven cleaner.

Nothing has worked. I got all those ideas from google. I don't want to toss the pan b/c it was a wedding gift from my mom but I am all out of ideas.

Anyone know the secret to getting my pot clean??? Or am I just out of luck?

Perhaps "Easy Off"
Let the pot sit overnight after your spray it and try cleaning it out the next day. It's a stinky nasty pile o' chemical but I've had luck with it using it for the same purpose. Good luck!

As a matter of fact, I just did this today. I was making some vanilla sauce and I got busy with other things and I burned it. I soaked it in baking soda and vinegar(overnight), warm soapy water(overnight), nothing touched it. I finally remembered a remedy my Dad used to do when his pans got scorched. Put the pan on the stove and turn on med. high heat (leave it on just long enough to heat the bottom) then immediately pour in about a 1/2 cup of wine. It will bubble up on the bottom and then you can use the end of a spoon and scrape it off. I did this today on one of my stainless steel pans and it worked beautifully. Something about the heat and the alcohol. I just used a little elbow grease with a metal spoon and it came clean. I was so relieved, I thought I had ruined my good pan:-(
Everything came off and it's good as new:7

Good luck,

redrocks

I second the post with the water and baking soda, however, I also add super washing soda. Bring it to a boil, turn off the heat and let it sit overnight.

I find that the baking soda and super washing soda together get it cleaned when the baking soda alone doesn't do the trick.

Good luck!

Put water in the pan, put in dish soap, ( anything like Dawn etc,) then shake some dish washer detergent in there and let it sit overnight. This has taken off anything that has burned on to my pans etc.

Also can try HOT tap water - as hot as it'll go and a dryer sheet. LEt it sit overnight and whatever is the dryer sheet will lift the crud off the bottom of the pan.

Hey Dana, were you able to clean your pan? I would be so distressed if I had to throw out any of my pots and pans. They're like my children -- LMAO!!:p :7

Just one more possible solution...gently boil some cola in the pot until all the residue lossens from the pot. Saw that one on "How Clean is Your House."

I just soak it with some Ajax or comment. Then scrub away. That usually works.

There are some interesting things, I will try next time.

Debbie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.