How to bake steel cut outs?

melimcn

Cathlete
Hi ladies,
I'm looking for a way to make it for a few days. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to take it to work with me and just heat it up there.
Any suggestions, for either baking it or doing it in the crock pot?

I add walnuts and cinnamon as I prepare it, so I don't need to add anything fancy (unless it's clean and makes it tasty!).

Anybody do this?

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups skim milk to a simmer. Add 1 cup of steel cut oats.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes or longer if you like it less chewy. Add two packages Stevia, 2 drops pure vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Refrigerate. Scoop out what you need to bring to work, add about 2-3 Tablespoons of milk to the portion you scooped out before you warm it up in the microwave . . . Stir and enjoy.

I use 1 c. steel cut oats to 2 c. water. Bring water to a boil and add steel cut oats. Turn off heat, remove from the stove, cover and leave overnight. You'll have a weeks serving there. I usually just put it in the fridge and then warm it up in the microwave.

I make mine slightly different mainly because I like my oatmeal sweeter (i'm still trying to get my sweet tooth under control). :)

3 cups water
1.5 cups steel cut oatmeal, dry
1.5 cups milk, nonfat
2 Tbsp brown sugar (i'm going to try substituting sucanat for a cleaner version)
2-3 tsp cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon, so I add a lot)
1/8 - 1/4 cup ground flax seed (depending on your tastes)
dash of vanilla

Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the steel cut oats, stir once, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add the milk and cook another 5-10 minutes. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and flax seed. Stir until combined. Let cool for 20-30 minutes. Divide oatmeal between 5 small containers (approximately a cup per container) and refrigerator. Each morning I just grab a container out of the fridge and i'm ready to go! Once I get to work, I warm the oatmeal up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes - it is usually "liquidy" enough that I don't have to add extra milk. I also like to add frozen blueberries right after I take the oatmeal out of the microwave. Delish!

I actually cook mine in a crockpot overnight. I put cup of steel cut oats with 4 cups of water. I tend to keep them plain and add things to them. It's usually about 3-4 servings that I can use for the week. Sometimes I just add chocolate protein powder, sometimes almond butter, sometimes bananas. If you like it sweet you can add a little bit of brown sugar or stevia or agave. When I add almond butter or a banana or the protein powder, I usually don't need any.

I sometimes cook them with sliced apples and cinnamon too. SO many ways to eat them...they are yummy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.