how the fitness models eat...

Cbelle

Cathlete
anyone know specifics on how they eat? Not necessarily for a contest but otherwise....I'm guessing something like

egg whites/oatmeal
salad with protein of some sort
protein, brown rice, veggies
protein shakes
cottage cheese and fruit

You pretty much described the plans I've seen written up regularly in Oxygen magazine!!!

This essentially what I've been doing for the last 4 months, and I have to say that I feel great.

m.

I started this in earnest in conjunction with the X rotation, so it's hard to pinpoint what can be attributed where, but I absolutely think that this has been incredibly helpful for me, and plan to stick with it indefinitely. It's basically just a healthy way of eating - eat protein with every meal, eat 5-6 times per day, include healthy fats and "good" carbs.... It's pretty much common sense, actually.

I feel great, tons of energy, skin looks great, have lost body fat, gained muscle definition, no more "blah" feeling at mid-day, no bloating, etc. I just feel .... good. All the time. I'm MUCH more in tune with what my body needs, nutritionally, based on what I'm doing activity wise (I can just tell when I need more of a protein snack, or more of a carb snack). I've never had an issue with junk food or sweets and such, but I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I even vaguely WANTED anything "bad" for me.

m.

When it comes to eating, what you describe is definitely what works! I've been eating like this (Body For Life principles) for a number of years and I am leaner, stronger and healthier than I have ever been, even after two babies. I fought eating disorders and yo-yo dieting my entire life and now, I feel amazing...with energy to spare.

Not only that, I'm extremely stable at my current weight...and even throw in a few treats a week on this plan. I barely even think about it anymore...it is truly a way of life now.

I was thinking I'll start eating like along with throwing in a few protein bars perhaps and have 1 cheat meal a week and see what happens!

I doubt the cottage cheese and fruit, but the rest sounds on target.

I am far too in love with my complex carbs to limit them to early in the day.

Keep in mind, just because a fitness model eats a certain way, does not mean it is what is best for your health. Keep it well balanced.

>Keep in mind, just because a fitness model eats a certain way,
>does not mean it is what is best for your health. Keep it
>well balanced.

Here, here.

And often they eat this way only when they are preparing for a contest or photo shoot, not all the time.

I have cleaned up my diet and am gradually losing weight again. I had lost 2.5 pounds more at the doctor since last week.

I have been through withdrawal from sugar laden Pepsis, but I am proud to say I am down to 1/2 per day. I used to drink 7 per day.

I had to go to my doctor today and I told the nurse that if I found out I had only 6 months to live, I'd go out and buy a case of Pepsis and drink them nonstop!

I am determined to stay on track this time. I've had a few slips, but for the most part I am doing great.

I do add lean animal protein and fish into my diet. I love Sushi!

Me too! I love my complex carbs and refuse to give them up!

I am "behaving" for the most part with the rest of my diet, so if I am a bit hedonistic with complex carbs, then so be it!

At age 52, I wear a size 4 to 6 petite -- 10 years ago I wore a size 12!

Good Job!!

What do you guys think of rice protein instead of whey? I'm lactose intolerant so whey protein doesn't really agree with my system, too much, someday better than others. My naturopath suggested rice protein, i've tried it with fruit and as far as taste goes, it's not bad, actually tastes good. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about it.

Jen

OK, I BELIEVE IN EATING WELL, BUT,I am not starving or living on beans and tofu.Are you going to do it forever?
If not it is a temporary fix , called diet.
I refuse to diet anymore and count calories.
When i am hungry i eat. I just try to avoid fatty foods and eat alot of veggies and hot peppers.

I eat pretty much what i want . I make leaner meats,fish, brown rice and add veggies. fat free cr. of mush soup. I do 1 plate and quit.
Most breakfast is a high fibre toast w/ crunchy jiff.I am always hungry and i am limiting myself , but not starving.
Tonite i am tired and have to go shopping.
We are having a spiced up digiornio( I always add on them) whole wheat chick pizza w/ extra hot peppers and mush and a salad.
Some carb , but better than a meat lovers pizza from Pizza hut.
Many nights i will make DH meat and i will eat brown rice w/a bag of frozen peas and chix broth.Then i have lunch tomorrow.I eat good foods that i like.
I will gag on spinach and asparagus and chick peas.

I guess i am trying to live to eat decent, not diet forever...
I have lost 30 lbs in 2 years from changing portions and eating alot healthier. I have 11 to go and i am happy with a lb a month for permanent weight loss.
I think the working out helps. alot.
No one knows what i weigh. I was guessed at 120 this week.
I laughed.
I told them 136, and she said no sir. You don't look like it.
Give it time. Be healthy and it will happen.
My goal is 125 muscular, not flabby w no tone or anorexic.
Eat well, enjoy your life....
Quit dieting forever. Change your lifestyle.
Have a cheat Rib day and don't feel guilty.
Tomorrow is another day.....
It will happen....
JMO
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

>What do you guys think of rice protein instead of whey? I'm
>lactose intolerant so whey protein doesn't really agree with
>my system, too much, someday better than others.

I think a combo of rice and pea protein (they complement each other), or yellow pea protein on its own are both good. But the very best is hemp protein. It is made up of about 80% edistein (a type of protein) and 20% albumin (another type of protein, found in eggs as well) and is very assimilable.

I like Nutiva hemp protein the best, taste-wise, and it's got a good amount of fiber as well (and you can buy it at www.nutiva.com for free shipping or orders over either $25 or $30, I forget which). Just make sure to get the hemp protein powder, and not the smoothie mixes (which, while tastey, and containing some other beneficial superfoods, are lower in protein and have added sugar).

Wow thanks, I will try hemp protein. I've never seen it but of course I've never looked for it or even pea protein, I haven't even heard of that, how cool. That's great, thanks!!!

Jen

I'm a figure competitor in training for my 5th competition on Sept. 22nd and 23rd. I've found since beginning this training that maintaining "good fats" in my diet is really important. I used to think that the less fat in my diet the better. That mentality wasn't working for my body type. So, with what you listed I would add things like nuts (I like almonds), natural "peanut" butter (I like IM Healthy soynut butter), olive oil, and some cheese. I also take a essential fatty acid supplement. Everybody is so darned different, so you've got to experiment. Regarding carbs, I will really restrict my carbs starting this Monday through Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday I will "carb load". Not with buckets of Olive Garden pasta, but oatmeal and whole grain bread. This will fill my muscles out. I also try to eliminate sugars(natural or otherwise) and sodium as much as possible during the last few weeks. Anyway, probably too much info, but maybe some will find it interesting. As for the "off season", I eat 5 or 6 meals/day but with slightly larger portions and a higher carb ratio. I do have cheat meals. Don't even get me started about spinach and artichoke dip with chips!!! Good luck to you in finding the right balance!

protein drinks and some bars give my system all kinds of trouble! Has anyone found out if beano helps with this?

>protein drinks and some bars give my system all kinds of
>trouble! Has anyone found out if beano helps with this?

I suggest trying a different type of protein.
I used to have some digestive problems with soy, but when I switched to pea/rice protein (and then to hemp), I didn't have problems.

If whey or soy is giving you problems, try pea/rice, pea alone or hemp (see my post above).

You're probably correct w/ your guess.... Looks a little dull to me.. so until I get paid to be a fitness model I say all in moderation and eat what makes your body feel strong!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.