How often for ab workouts?

Just curious. I know that many say you should wait 48 hours between muscle workouts, but others claim that abs can be worked with good results on a daily basis. I've come to enjoy working my abs and tend to work them 4-5x/week. Just curious what others do. Deb

I have heard all kinds of differing opinions, but most seem to agree that if you are sore, you should hold off for a day or two.

I work my abs for about 20 minutes 3x per week. It is always a core segment from Cathe. I especially love segment two from CoreMax!
Jenn

I've also heard differing opinions. Tony Horton (from P90X) says that they are muscles (like any other) and should not be worked daily. Since I get bored of ab work, I decided he was right.

Abs ARE just like all muscles... There are MANY people that "work" abs daily... I think you have to consider what "work" means in terms of your program.

its kind of like doing circuit workouts (cathe type)... You arent lifting heavy enough to exhaust muscles so they dont need/qualify for the 48 hour rule...

If you treat abs like all muscles and REALLY FRY them then you dont need/nor is it wise to work them without recovery time.

If you Kickbox with perfect form you also may not need to work them so often...

If you are doing 5 minute abwork tacked on to end of workouts everday then thats no problem buts it also may not give you the results you want.

Also you should consider if you are doing ab or core work. Core is entire mid region front & back...

Theres no one size fits all answer as goals for abs vary from person to person- genetics * eating behaviors are HUGE factors in ab development and how hard you "work" them also has to be considered.

Some of my bodybuilding books talk about doing abs 2x per week...
Monday = very hard & heavy core focus
Friday = lighter day but still core vs abs.

Hope all that didnt just add to the confusion.

2-3 times a week for me as well. I took a class on this (not an exercise class, an actual educational class) about 10 years ago that debunked many myths about ab training. I was doing the old 300 crunches every day thing & the class taught exactly what Mr. Horton said--abs should be worked like any other muscle, including using a weighted routine. If you want a six pack you have to build the muscles, & if you overtrain a muscle you shrink it.

Another interesting thing I learned from the class was that ab exercises where you use your legs as a lever (i.e. the roman chair) work the hip flexors as the primary muscle & the abs as the secondary muscle. Exercises like corkscrews & such--when you're "pushing" upwards rather than "swinging" up & down--use the abs as a primary muscle, but exercises like leg lifts use the hip flexors as the primary muscle.

Finally, I suggest you do a search on the Ask Cathe forum. She's given out a lot of great information in the past about her own ab routine & options for ab work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.