how much do you/would you pay

kariev

Cathlete
i wanted to know what you ladies think is an appropriate price for a cut and color? I know all places vary but I just went to a new salon yesterday where my hairdresser had relocated to and a cut and some highlights ended up costing $282 (which is $100 more than her previous location) and then they had a mandatory 20% tip on top of that putting me in the $300. She did not tell me about the raise in price either. I thought it was over priced. Its not that she did a bad job but its not sensational or anything. what do you think? what is your limit for cost when it comes to cut and color? I'm actually thinking about doing the dying at home again and then just getting a cut somewhere b/c this seems to be getting too pricey.

I've gone to coloring at home because the lady I go to (at home!) charges $100 for a cut and color. If I went in to her salon, it would easily be over $200. She is awesome and would be worth $200...she is a perfectionist and the best I've ever gone to, but I just can't spend that much money.
I've been perfectly happy with box results!

Becky

I think an average price depends on where in the country you are. However, since you know this hairdresser and the price is $100 more, it does seem too expensive. Can you talk to her and ask why it seemed to be so much more. Maybe she is now a "booth rental" salon as opposed to an employee? She would need to figure that into her prices. Or maybe the salon sets the prices and there isn't anything she can do about it. I would definitely talk to your hairdresser. I personally wouldn't pay $300 for a cut, highlight, and color but I don't live in a $300 area of the country.

I pay around $75 for cut/color/highlights (not including tip). My stylist has a salon in her home. I think that maybe I pay less than people that go to a "full blown" salon but I go every 5 weeks since my hair is pretty much a mess. I can't see paying $282 every 5 weeks and I just know I'd be wearing a bag over my head if I tried to do it myself. And don't get me started on a "mandatory" tip. Isn't that kind of an oxymoron since a "tip" is allegedly for good service and that wouldn't be a given?

:p How jealous would you be if I told you I've NEVER paid for my haircuts? lol My mom has her license, and has ever since I was a kid. She had a salon in our house, until my dad's construction business took over that space......perms and cuts when I was younger, a few frosting jobs when I was in Junior High and I wanted to experiment, and NOW as an adult, hair cut only (no color for me, thank you). Gotta love Mom!!!

Gayle

Wow, kariev, I do think that is pricey.

I get my hair cut and foiled every 7 weeks. If I get a full-foil, that plus the cut costs me about $147; if I get a partial-foil, that plus the cut costs me about $127. That does not include tip. I do go to a fairly high-end salon, but I've been following my stylist around for about 10 years now and the prices have increased a little, but nothing dramatic like you've experienced.

I don't know if I have a limit on what I would spend. Some people might think that I spend too much on my hair as it is, (that's a shout-out to you, Mom..;)), but the result would have to be pretty darn spectacular to justify spending $300.;)

My advice: you should get what you paid for. If you are going to pay $300, then you hair should look sensational!! If you don't think it does, then it might be time to find a new stylist.

ETA: Oh, and Gayle, this is me sticking my tongue out to you in a jealous rage...:p

Last edited:
I pay $27.50 for the cut not counting the tip. I give $5.00 for the tip.
I just got my hair colored last month for the 1st time (with this gal) and she charged me $80.00 not counting the tip. I gave $10.00 for the tip. so that amounts to a total of $122.50.

I always ask how much they charge for something ever since Clinton's $400.00 hair cut. ;)

My hair dresser does a good job. the only beef I have with her is she kind of 'argues' with me on stuff like I'll say "my bangs need to be shorter" and she'll say 'I don't want to cut them too short because your hair is so curly."

I finally found the color I wanted and took a picture in to show her and she talked me into doing red with highlights. So the next day I went back for the colering appt and I told her I don't think red is for me I want the color in the picture I showed her and again she talked me into red. So I ended up getting the red, which is ok but I'd rather have what I had chosen. I just don't understand why she doesn't want to do want I want.

Last year I went from near waist length hair to a pixie. I wish she would have talked me out of that, lol.

eta I'm in Des Moines Iowa area.

Last edited:
Cut/color

I pay $80 for cut and root touch up and $110 for cut and re-color with foils. Not including tip. And I go to her because I can walk in and say, "Do what you want" and I'll look fabulous. I went to a hairdresser who always wanted me to look through the magazines! One, I don't have "people" to do my hair every morning and make it look like that; and two, how would I know if the 'look' would work for me? So, when I go to a professional and pay professional prices, I pay not only for the service/product but their knowledge.

I would NEVER pay $300 for my hair. That's a lot of money. Unless you can afford it or Jose Eber is doing it. My 2 cents.

I guess a good question is...where do you live? I'm outside Charlotte and salon prices are much higher here than in Michigan where I lived before. On the other hand, my sister lives in Orange County, CA and can't get a cut for much less than $100. So, to me over $200 for cut and color doesn't seem as outrageous as it seems to most of the other posters. I definitely do question the $100 jump in price from one salon to another and she definitely should have told you beforehand!
Geography definitely plays a big part! no judgment here! :p
Becky

I wld personally never pay that much. I use boxed coloring from the food store b/c I am cheap when it comes to my hair. I currently get my hair permed and only do it once every 6 months or so cause I'm too cheap to pay the $75 more then a couple times a year! :p

thanks ladies. i live in ft. lauderdale florida by the way. i'm pissed that i paid this as it was an expense that isn't going to last since it has to be redone down the line. now if it were $300 for fitness equipment i wouldn't second guess it. when she told me the price at the end i nearly fainted but didn't say anything as their were people waiting behind me to pay and i didn't want to make a fuss. i'm going to either find another salon or start dying it myself and have my mom cut my hair. My mom dyes and cuts her own hair and has done so since she was my age (27) and it looks good. i almost feel guilty about spending that b/c its such a stupid expense. any recommendations from those who color at home as to which product you use?

I was paying about $80 for a root touch-up and cut, and $110 - $120 for a cut, color and highlight (foil). I decided I could no longer afford it, so this year I started coloring it myself and just pay $40 for a haircut.

I use Loreal Feria hair color. It's $9.99/box, and it's on sale w/coupons occasionally for around $7.99. It's easy to use, doesn't smell horrible like some of them, and the color doesn't get real brassy when I'm in the sun a lot. It makes my hair shiny with a kind of multi-dimensional color.

I miss getting my highlights at the salon, but the cost savings is worth it!

cost

Hi,

I'm going to pay 220 plus tip for highlights and a cut next week. The last time I went to a cheaper salon and although it looked OK, it wasn't that great. There was lots of gray still visible, plus someone at work goes there too and I swear our hair looked very similar in color. I hate to pay that much, but the more expensive color looked much more natural than the cheaper color.

Tracy

I pay $27.50 for the cut not counting the tip. I give $5.00 for the tip.
I just got my hair colored last month for the 1st time (with this gal) and she charged me $80.00 not counting the tip. I gave $10.00 for the tip. so that amounts to a total of $122.50.

I always ask how much they charge for something ever since Clinton's $400.00 hair cut. ;)
My hair dresser does a good job. the only beef I have with her is she kind of 'argues' with me on stuff like I'll say "my bangs need to be shorter" and she'll say 'I don't want to cut them too short because your hair is so curly."

I finally found the color I wanted and took a picture in to show her and she talked me into doing red with highlights. So the next day I went back for the colering appt and I told her I don't think red is for me I want the color in the picture I showed her and again she talked me into red. So I ended up getting the red, which is ok but I'd rather have what I had chosen. I just don't understand why she doesn't want to do want I want.

Last year I went from near waist length hair to a pixie. I wish she would have talked me out of that, lol.

eta I'm in Des Moines Iowa area.

I didn't know Clinton got a $400 haircut, also? I know that John Edwards did..

Anyway, I'm in a midsized city in Kansas and spend $120 for a cut and foil. I'm actually paying less now as my stylist moved to a smaller salon. Before she worked for a larger Aveda salon and I paid $175 when she was there. Haircuts went from $55 to $40...so I'm glad she changed salons. She is so good that you have to book several months in advance, so I'm on a regular schedule and NOTHING gets in the way of my appointments:eek:

Hairstylist here! I won't go into prices, because as mentioned earlier, it can vary tremendously by region. However, 2 things bothered me about your experience. First, the price increase was way too large, and your stylist should have let you know of this in advance. Not cool. Also, I have never in 22 years of being in this business, heard of a "mandatory" 20% tip. Thats insane! I'm sorry you had to deal with this. I hope it works out for you either at home or at another salon.

~~~Nancy J.~~~

Wow! All I can say is WOW! $200-300 for a cut and color??? For many people that's half month's rent...a car payment. I don't even pay anywhere near that and I have an awesome stylist (or at least I think so...which matters since I am the one paying for it ;) ) Unless you are in a major metro area and visiting Bumble & Bumble I'd say you are being vastly overcharged. For that kind of money you could go to beauty school, get your license, and mix your own dang Goldwell color for that price!

Anything over $150 for cut, color and tip would be insane to pay! I don't care where you are! Unless you have hair down to your butt, it shouldn't cost $200+ for that! I would just go back to my natural color!

I can think of way too many other things that $200-$300 would pay for that would be much more necessary or useful!

Just MHO!

I just paid $145.00 for a cut and color, but I had some wild streaks put in. Although the next time the hairdresser will do it at her home. I'd rather give her all the money. I would not like it that the hairdresser didn't let you know in advance what the huge cost would be! Never heard of a forced gratuity!
Ellen

The one and only time I had my hair professionaly done I paid $100 for a cut and partial foil. The stylist did a great job but I found it pricey.

I have also had my mom color my hair from a box and I have had my sister highlight my hair from box kits bought at the drug store and both have turned out great and cost much less.

I get my haircut at the mall by my brothers ex. And it costs about $15-$20 + tip. I'm not big on the assembly line mall shops but she does a great job and I like her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.