How much before others notice?

Calee

Cathlete
How much weight loss or gain does it take for other people to notice? I've lost and gained the same 10 pounds over a couple of times now and just wonder if it's drastic enough to see a difference. I still fit into all the same clothes, just a little tighter or looser at times...

I think it depends on your height and how much you have to lose. I've lost 10 pounds and feel like a new person, but I don't think anyone's noticed. If I lose 8 more, I'll be on the low end of my BMI and will hopefully fit into some smaller (and cuter!) clothes. But I'm 5'11" and while people don't notice as much when I gain weight, the same goes when I lose it.

I've heard that if you lose 10% of your body weight, there are lots of benefits healthwise.

I agree with the fact that it takes longer depending on how much one has to lose. But once it is noticeable to people who are observant enough to notice AND speak up about it means you have accomplished some amazing things... and it is a fantastic motivator.

Good luck to all of us with this, lol.

I agree with Dayna. It really kind of depends on your height and also you build. I'm 5'7 and have an athletic build. I have a lot of muscle and never was "skinny". I just naturally have a thicker build and have always weighed more then others. I recently lost 30 lbs. of weight I put on after moving in with my (at the time) boyfriend. When I gained the weight people said they didn't even notice which I don't ENTIRELY believe. But I do think the way I gain weight hides how much I actually put on. I don't have one area that seems to get big... EVERYTHING does lol. So when I went to lose the weight it wasn't until I lost a good 15 to 20 lbs. that people started really noticing. I went from 189 to 153 lbs. and people are floored when I tell them how much i actualy lost. Hope this helps :)

-Lauren

I show at about 5 pounds but I'm short so it is all in my tummy:eek: Try going for losing 12 and see if it shows more. Also, I do have pants that I wore like over 50 pounds ago, they are stretchy, and I'm too frugal to throw anything out and not wear it unless it literally falls off my body.:p

I have lost weight gradually over a long period of time, and it seem most family, friends and co-workers who see me often do not immediately notice the changes. It's only when I run into someone who has not seen me in months or years that are quicker to notice my weight loss or change in body composition.

Cally

Thanks gals, I ask because in all honesty I probably will gain a little over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Like I said, it's always the same 10 pounds that I put on and take off again;) Good luck to us all over the holidays!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.