how many calories should i be eating?

nightowl81

Cathlete
I know this should be a simple question to answer with all the sites out there, but sometimes getting advice from the pros helps.

I'm 5'9", 28 and at 190 pounds looking to get down to 150 pounds for now. I'm doing Turbo Fire, including the toning workouts that come with it, and I've been trying to get a little extra treadmill walking in, but nothing really strenuous. besides those activities, I'm laying in bed the rest of the day studying, reading and online. I'm not really on my feet the rest of the day besides getting up to the bathroom from all the water and making my meals.

I'm eating about 1300 calories. Most sites set my BMR to 1600-1700calories, so 1300 is a 400-500 calorie deficit which I think is what's usually recommended.

All this month (September) I've been dedicated to watching the calories and doing the workouts. I'm weighing and measuring things that aren't vegetables. I really haven't lost any weight since starting, so it's not even a plateau. I know sometimes when people start losing weight they lose a few pounds of water, but I don't think I even lost that.

Any ideas what I should do? Move more? go lower carb? heavier weights? if I raise the calories how long should I give it to know if it's working?

I'm not familiar with Turbo Fire, but do you have a heart rate monitor? By plugging your average BPM and length on the workout, you can get a good idea of how many calories you're burning. Did you just start this month? Sometimes it seems to take a few weeks to see a weight change on the scale. At least, that's how it is for me. I was going about .5 lb a week for awhile, then it kicked into gear with 1 a week. Be patient and consistent.

Adding weight training is a big boost to your metabolism too. You should really add that to your routine

Last edited:
yes, I'm using a HRM, it stays between 150-180bpm. I'm starting over, but this is the first month of logging all my food carefully and following an exercise schedule 6 days a week.

yeah, I keep reading I should be lifting heavy, I think I will switch over to some Cathe weight workouts or CLX the next couple of weeks.

Doing the math I should be losing, but I guess it's not as simple as calories in vs. calories out.

You may have a slower resting metabolism too. What is calculated with the online tools is just a best guess. Still, if you're eating 1300 calories, and working out everyday, you should be seeing results soon. I'm no expert, but my experience is that weights really do kick you into gear. Plus, they make you feel tough. :)

Hi nightowl81,

If, other than doing your workouts, you are resting for most of the day, you are basically sedentary. That would indicate that your basal metabolic rate is relatively low, so I'm guessing your calorie level probably doesn't need to be changed. I certainly wouldn't go any lower. Are you ever hungry? If so, that would be the indication that you need more food.

Also, be sure you're drinking enough water. Aim for at least 10-12 8-oz glasses per day.

If I were you I would try to step up the activity level a bit - maybe go out for a walk a couple of times during the day in addition to your workouts. (Treadmill walking is OK but outdoor walking is more refreshing and might be good psychologically.) You haven't mentioned how you get errands done - things like getting groceries, getting to classes (you mentioned you are studying so I assume you are a student?) etc. would be an opportunity to walk or cycle. It would be good to try to move from sedentary to somewhat or moderately active.

Stebby

I don't know if this will help you but when I was in school and had to study for hours I would either read my notes and study while on my treadmill, elliptical or bike. The pace I kept slow and I could easily loose myself in my studies and end up stopping after 2 hours. Or I would pace around my pool. Sounds weird but it kept me moving throughout the day and it kept me alert and awake while studying.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.