How Long Will It Take To Get the Weight Off?

Poecat

I was reading some in the What to expect when your expecting book and it said you should expect to take 2 years to get the weight off if you gain under 35lbs. Please tell me this is an exageration. I can't afford a new wardrobe and I cannot wear maternity forever.

I gained 65 lbs with my first 3 pregnancies and lost it all within a year with intense exercise. My eating was good on and off. I think that someone who gains under 35 lbs would have little trouble taking it off fairly quickly. After all atleast 25 lbs comes off right away (baby weight, water, etc) leaving less than 10 lbs to lose. I wish that were my situation this time. Groan. I have not had the courage to stand on the scale yet, but I think that I am going to have around 50 lbs to lose this time and it may well take me two years (if I ever do, but I am determined to think positively;-) )

Maggie

I gained about 35 pounds with my 1st pregnancy and got all of the weight off within 3-4 months. I have to say though, that it took over a year to get my body back to where it was before - my hips mostly. Everyone is different!! Of course, exercise and nutrition are so important, just like any other time in your life! They say the second one is harder to lose the weight after. I am only about 2 months along so I will keep you posted! Don't be discouraged, though! If you are preggers, enjoy this time and don't worry about stuff like that! ;-)

Nope, 2 years is excessive. with my first, I gained 65 lbs. I got pregnant again when he was 21 months old and I had lost all but 5 lbs. Generally I have found with all 3 of my kids that the first 15-20 are "freebies" and just fall right off in the first week without doing anything. AFter that you need to work for it. But I will tell you that I was always down at least 25-30 lbs by my six week post partum visits. Unfortuantley I gained way more than 35 with my kids.

This time though, I am at 14 lbs at 28 weeks and my goal is to stay under 25. For once I want to be at my prepregnancy weight for my 6 weeks visit. If you set your mind to it and eat really clean after and workout when you can you should have no problems.

Bless you guys for answering me. I have been stressing about it. I'm 39 so I know it is going to be harder for me. But I guess i should consentrate on getting the baby here healthy and try to quit worring so much.

It depends, I'm sure, on everyone's own body metabolism, activity level, diet, etc. That said, I have a very hard time losing weight despite eating healthy, exercising and being 35. And, it still only took me 4 months to get back to my regular weight. I gained about 38 or 40 pounds but I exercised right up until my due date (hey, I did Cathe's Terminator DVD - Gauntlet the day before my due date!). I also ate healthy and didn't use the pregnancy as excuse to pig out. I am breastfeeding too. I weighed myself today and I am actually less than my pre-pregnancy weight. So, if I can do it, I am positive any one can lose the weight!

Two years?! That is definitely an exaggeration! I gained about 30 pounds with my first (and only one so far) pregnancy. I lost about 20 pounds of it within the first week because I was all baby, fluid, etc. The rest flew off within a few weeks. I exercised pretty regularly throughout my pregnancy up until the last two weeks. After having my son by C-section, I was restricted in terms of activity for a while but started up the exercise as soon as my doctor ok'd it. My workouts were very sporadic though because I was 1)sleep deprived and 2) my son would not give me a whole lot of time to do it. I did not really watch my diet so much and the weight still came off--probably because I am breastfeeding. Anyway, my son is now 8 months old and I am less than my pre-pregnancy weight and have been since about month 5. So, don't worry about losing the weight. Take care not to go overboard with the weight gain and pay attention to eating healthy. Try to exercise as much as you can throughout your pregnancy and the weight will come off after in a reasonable amount of time! Good luck and enjoy!

Kathi

Hi, I think 2 years is too long. I gained 42 lbs. during my pregnancy. I wore my maternity clothes for about 3 months post-baby even though they were starting to hang from my body because I still couldn't get into my clothes. After a while I just wore some old sweatpants because they accommodated my still-flabby belly and fleshier hips. But I did lose the weight about 5 months post-baby. Some women get their bodies back almost immediately. I had to wait a while longer, but not for 2 years! If you're a regular exerciser, I see no reason why you have to wait 2 years to lose 35 lbs., especially when part of those 35 lbs. are the baby, the placenta, breastmilk, and body fluids.

Good luck with your pregnancy,
Pinky

Hi Poecat,

When I had my first daughter at 26, I only gained 21 pounds and was back in my pre-prego clothes in about a month. Now....my second daugher was born when I was 35, and I gained 35 pounds. It took me much longer to get in shape the 2nd time around, probably 4-5 months. I worked out more my 2nd pregnancy, but I truly believe it took me longer because I was older and my metabolism had slowed a bit. This may have happened just to me, but I really feel it takes a little more patience and work when you are older to get back into your pre-pregnancy form. My 2nd daughter is now two and a half and I'm in better shape now than before she was born. It's due to all those Cathe weight tapes. I used to do only step tapes, but since Cathe made weight tapes, I of course bought them, and I now LOVE them more than the step tapes. I probably lift twice as much as I do step.

Sorry so long, but the baby is ALL WORTH IT!!!! You'll get your shape back but be patient with yourself. Good Luck! Sami

I had lost all but 5 lbs about 2months after i had my baby. By 9 months i was lower than when I started. It takes a while to get back to normal, but it does take 9 months to get it all on. It is very worth it all tho!!;-)

Depends on the individual

I gained about 25 lbs with Max, lost all but 4/5 lbs within the first 2 weeks of having him and lost the rest once I started weaning. (3 months pp)

By 7 weeks PP, no-one could believe I'd had a baby.

Frankly, I would say this 2 year thing is nonsense! I had no problems losing the weight with a sensible eating plan and powerwalking with Max in his buggy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.