How long should muscle pain last?! Help!

che0013

Hi everyone,

So I'm not very fit, and I've just started strength training.
I have a number of Cathe's DVD's, including Gym Style Legs - which I did last week. I only did the 30 minute premix - and didn't do the 'bonus' parts at the end of each exercises, I used less weight, and cut down the reps by a few.

But....my muscles have been sore from a WEEK! And as I just said, I didn't even do the whole thing. I didn't even do the whole 30 minutes!!! For 2 days I could hardly even walk properly. So. Much. Pain.

I'm assuming this is normal as I am not used to doing these exercises for my legs. Am I correct in assuming this? Is this kind of prolonged muscle pain normal?

I am concerned because most people say to strength train 3x per week, and if I'm going to be sore for a week just from one 30 min workout, then I won't even be able to do TWO workouts a week....so will it still be effective?

As soon as my muscles feel like they have recovered enough for me to work them again, I will get straight to it again.

So basically I just wanted to know if my muscle pain should really be lasting a week?

Hi everyone,

So I'm not very fit, and I've just started strength training.
I have a number of Cathe's DVD's, including Gym Style Legs - which I did last week. I only did the 30 minute premix - and didn't do the 'bonus' parts at the end of each exercises, I used less weight, and cut down the reps by a few.

But....my muscles have been sore from a WEEK! And as I just said, I didn't even do the whole thing. I didn't even do the whole 30 minutes!!! For 2 days I could hardly even walk properly. So. Much. Pain.

I'm assuming this is normal as I am not used to doing these exercises for my legs. Am I correct in assuming this? Is this kind of prolonged muscle pain normal?

I am concerned because most people say to strength train 3x per week, and if I'm going to be sore for a week just from one 30 min workout, then I won't even be able to do TWO workouts a week....so will it still be effective?

As soon as my muscles feel like they have recovered enough for me to work them again, I will get straight to it again.

So basically I just wanted to know if my muscle pain should really be lasting a week?

Gym Style Legs causes extended DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) in the most seasoned of us Cathletes! A week out and you're still sore as a beginner? Not surprising at all! That one gives me a week of DOMS easy! You can still work through the soreness, and that will help it feel better and alleviate a lot of your discomfort. Do some step or go for a power walk, focus on the upper body, do 15 minutes of low impact HiiT or tabata...those are good to do while you're sore. If you're so sore you can hardly walk, then give it a little more time and do lots of stretching. Generally, 48 hours rest for a muscle group is plenty before you work it again.

Last edited:
A few years ago after not exercising much at all for a few years I attended a boot camp class. I was sore all over for a week! Each time I attended the class I was sore for a shorter amount of time.

Just two months ago I got back to doing Cathe's DVDs regularly. I just did Total Body TriSets Lower Body for the first time last week. I was sore for three days. I just worked the upper body and did easy cardio for a few days until my lower half felt better. I did the same workout again yesterday and I am not as sore today as I was last week.

It gets better!

When STS first came out in 2009 I believe, I did the 1st leg disc. I was so miserable for the 1st 3 days afterward and then it got better everyday. I even stopped working my legs for 3 years because of that. I started back around 3 months ago and it gets easier with every w/o. I always do the extended stretch after I do legs. The stretching really helps me .

Jean

As the other girls said, no worries on having DOMS for a week. I've been weight training for years and get varied amounts of soreness...anywhere from one day to a week.

Looks like you're getting some great advice from the ladies here on the forum! We have all been there! I have learned to NEVER SKIP THE STRETCH!!! I also use a foam roller (it is a whole 'nuther level of "OUCHIE"!!). Make sure that you are hydrated before, during, and after your training! Some ladies swear by a protien recovery drink within 30 minutes after your workout ends. Don't let this derail your efforts!!!

Gym Style Legs does it again! :eek: :eek:

I remember my first time. COULD.BARELY.WALK.FOR.1.WEEK :eek:. AND I was not a beginner, AND I had been doing Cathe leg workouts for quite some time. I love DOMS though, so I was super happy :D.

Rest assured, you won't be feeling the super DOMS for 1 week every time you continue to strength train. If you do GS Legs weekly, your DOMS will lessen as your body get accustomed to the workout.

An Epsom Salts bath with help relieve muscle soreness and tension :)

Natasha

You picked one of the toughest leg workouts in her repertoire. Cathe's leg workouts are some of the hardest on DVD (if not the hardest period.)

Many years ago (sheesh, how long have I been doing this??) I started a walking program. I went down a very long hill. Then I had to hike back up to get home. Needless to say, I earned some very serious DOMS. I was barely able to walk for 10 days. The length of that hill was only 1/4 mile. The length of your workout was only 30 min. But, don't be fooled, time and distance are not the issue: its the intensity. So, I recommend that you try the beginner's rotation first and progress from there. I think that GS is a great series; but, that is not where you should start if you want to be able to walk to the batheroom:eek:;)

I often find that 15 min. per body part is fine 2x/week or a whole body workout 2x/week.

Thanks for all the great responses guy! :D
I definitely feel more reassured now :)

And no way am I gonna give up! Today was the first day where I thought my legs were ready to be worked again - so I did the gym style legs 30 min premix again! I feel I was able to get through it a bit more easily - maybe because I was prepared for what was to come haha :p

I can't wait to start seeing results within the next few months! I also have a few of her other DVD's which I'm going to try after I get used to Gym Style Legs. Like Butts and Guts, Lower body blast, Turbo Barre. I have ordered the other 2 Gym Style workouts as well so can't wait for them to arrive and I'll have a variety to keep be challenged for a LONG time to come! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.