How Long does DOM Last?

Boingo

Cathlete
Hi,

I'm Chris, a lurker here, but a big Cathe fan, nonetheless!

I had a question, hoping someone be able to help...

I did one of the new workouts from 4-Day Split on Saturday morning. Actually, I did 2, first Bootcamp, and then Biceps & Triceps. I actually thought that Bi's and Tri's was a little "easy" compared to other Cathe upper body workouts, but still worked in spots. I think it was because it was shorter, and the reps didn't go on forever, that is seemed "easier".

So I was quite surprised to find the back part of my triceps and actually my biceps too, aching like crazy on Sunday!! I was pretty happy! LOL!

But now, it's Wednesday, 4 days later, and the back of my triceps and rear delts are still kind of sore! Is that "ok"/"normal"? Has that happened to anyone before?

Also to add, I've been working out consistantly with cardio and weights for 5 years, so I'm not new to working out to say the least.

I'm interested to hear what you all think!

thanks,
Chris

Yes, what you are experiencing is in the realm of "normal". This is a brand new workout to your body so it takes some getting used to. It is a good and a bad thing all at once ;)

I still had a bit of calf and shoulder soreness from BC & the shoulder weight workout. I can generally lift rather heavy, but Cathe has a way of hitting the muscle from every darn angle (with what seems like not a super heavy weight) that leaves a slow after burn. It's a love/hate relationship. As you get accustomed to the new workouts, it shouldn't last that long, and then you know to bump it up a notch }(

Debbie

I don't want to take a pill. Go to Africa, go follow some bushman around. He's being chased by a lion. That's stress. You're not going to find a pygmy on Paxil, I'll tell you that right now.
-Ellen Degeneres

Hi Chris,

Did you have a good stretch after the workout?

I find that if I stretch real nice and do a light massage after the workout, the soreness doesn't last as long.

Just a thought.

Penny

Thanks! What you say makes sense. It does seem like a little bit of a new area of soreness. So I'm sure she hit a spot that doesn't normally get hit.

I did the stretch that was on the workout afterwards. I think I will do more for the next one!! I'm a little bit "afraid" of chest and back! and shoulders too! I can only imagine.

I did do the lower body work and core on the 4DS, which left me with only a little bit of DOM. It seems harder to get my lower body to have DOM. But I did do a lower body rotation last month, so maybe that's why.

~Chris

FYI: it's DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) and is singular. Like "My DOMS is really bad today!"

And it usually kicks in about 24-48 hours after a workout. If it lasts too long, it can impede your progress, so I think a good goal is to have as little as possible while working out hard (the last few reps of a set should be very challenging, and maybe even some shakes going on with the last rep of a bench press).

DOMS is more common when you do a new type of workout or new exercises, increase weights, or stress the negative portion of the move (ie: you lower the weight slowly on bicep curls).

Sometimes, DOMS can be reduced or prevented by stretching, soaking in a tub of epsom salts (the magnesium in them helps), working out early enough in the day so that you aren't inactive afterwards.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.