how long can you hold a plank?

My teen ds does planks regularly and recently wanted to see how long he could go. He did straight leg , bent arm and went 4 min.! I thought that was amazing - haven't tried it myself! Marnie}(

I only do them for the time Cathe does them in the videos (DVD's), or for one minute when I do them on my own. I can probably last half minute more or even one minute if I push myself, but I haven't ventured. Four minutes is outstanding in my opinion. I find the bent arm position to be the most difficult.

Wow! What abs! I took the BootCamp challenge this morning (2X's) and discovered I need to work on my planks (I did terrible!). 1 minute was tough. So, it's back to working planks. I would LOVE to be able to hold one 4 minutes.

I'll find out on the weekend, because I'm going to build some bookshelves, which will involve a few planks, so I'll time myself as to how long I can hold one.;)

I've never timed them, but I know I can hold one at least a minute. I actually find the straight arm version easier to hold than the bent arm one, though I have no idea why.

Carol
:)

well, I started last Saturday and I'm still holding on. I'm pretty amazing, ain't I??????

But seriously folks...I have no idea. I, too, would have to take the plank, I mean plunge, and see how long I could go.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Too funny! Thank you - that's twice you've made me laugh. This post and the Chocolate fudge poptarts and Coke for breakfast. You witty bugger!

I can hold a plank for about 4mins if not longer, and I agree with Carol, it does seem easier to do a straight arm verses bent...go figure. (I am a newbie and curious if anyone can tell me how to upload pictures and where to open a new topic?) Thanks a bunch!!

Denise

I have no idea how long my core would hold because my shoulders fatigue so quickly!! I don't understand why they are so weak because I work them as often as any other body part. After the baby, once I get back into the swing of things, I am going to make shoulders a priority if only so I can hold a dang plank for more than 30 seconds!!

Not for very long at all anymore. :-( I used to be able to hold them for as long as the work out I was doing held them but now I'm lucky if I can stay up for 30 seconds. I have begun skipping plank work now until my abs get a little stronger and then I will start doing them again. I know I'm bad. :p

I know I've been able to do them for 2 minutes before. It's hard with Cathe's workouts sometimes because I'm so sweaty my hands or elbows/forearms keep slipping around. If I put a towel underneath them it doesn't help.

I like planks a lot, way better than crunches for me mentally, but it's still hard especially when the sweat is streaming off me!

It also depends on how pre-fatigued are the abs and/or arms if the planks are at the end of the workout. If done first thing in the workout, I guess probably one can last longer. The same thing with push ups.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.