How do you store your dumbbells and barbells?

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Right now mine are on the floor on a strip of loose carpeting so they don't roll. I had a small wooden rack but it only held small ones, myabe up to 8 lbs. there must be a better way. I could use the floor space for better things and it looks cluttered. Give me some ideas! thanks.

Hi Traildoggie,

I found some good dumbbell racks at WalMart. They are Gold's Gym and I think the cost was about $15. They hold four sets of dumbbells. I have two of them and they easily hold my bigger weights 12 & 15lbs. Super easy to assemble- takes about five minutes. My plates are stacked by weight on the floor along with my barbell. I workout in my livingroom because that is where I have my FitTv Cathe workouts DVR'd and my DVD's close by.

Hope that helps!

Pam

There were a number of really good sales on racks right after Christmas - I invested in a plate rack, medicine ball rack, and dumbbell rack. Overstock and Amazon both had good prices, and free shipping. I'm really pleased with how much neater everything is! It has also made the transitions easier this time through Meso 1 :)

Apex Standard Plate Tree
http://www.amazon.com/Apex-PT36-Sta...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1263519765&sr=1-2

Apex Deluxe 3 Tier Dumbbell Rack
http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Deluxe-3...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1263519844&sr=1-1

Medicine Ball Rack, similar to this one

http://www.amazon.com/J-Fit-Medicin...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1263519945&sr=1-1

I have a dumbbell tree for my vinyl-covered weights (2#-12#) that I got off Amazon years ago. To be honest it was the storage quandary that finally convinced me to invest in a set of Power Blocks (http://www.powerblock.com/) - I have no affiliation with that company - earlier this summer. I was starting Chalene Extreme and needed heavier weights but lining them all up on the floor wasn't going to work, and I needed the option to build up in smaller increments. I will use this set when I start STS as well, so I think they were a good investment for me.

Dave brought me a weight rack but it was too large. So I have my weights in front of the TV. I would love to have a smaller rack with wheels so I can roll them around and store them.

I have the Apex 3 Tier dumbbell rack and the Golds Gym one mentioned in this thread (Walmart special) Both are great. For my plates I have a plate tree and my barbells I just keep on the floor against the wall.

Dave brought me a weight rack but it was too large. So I have my weights in front of the TV. I would love to have a smaller rack with wheels so I can roll them around and store them.

One with wheels would be great. I've never seen one with wheels. I know I can't move mine around, unless I take all the dumbbells off, and even so, it's still pretty heavy.

I'm thinking the apex three tier. price is right and free shipping is great. I have a mixed dumbbell collection. the large ones are the hexagonal rubber ones but of the smaller ones, 12's are round metal. 10's, 8's, 5's, 4's are plastic or neoprene coated. will they fit? I'm thinking they might be too short to span the depth of the rack. will medicine balls sit on the top rack?

Getting all off the floor would make vacuuming easier. we have two barbells but they roll against the wall with the plates and don't get in the way much.

Hi Janie1234,

I like it!! Is it very heavy to move around minues the weights?

Pam

Err, . . if I wasn't so out of shape I'd say no, . . it weighs I would say about 50-60 lbs. I am so out of shape right now I've got my winter pudge coat thing going on. :) Draging it around was easy but if you are talking carrying it up and down the stairs, . .well it can be done but would be done easier with 2 people.
I love it. It is not to big (wide) but all the weights are so easy to see. Make sure you the dimensions. I bought mine on Amazon. Looks like someone posted the link. I put a review on Amazon too I'm listed as lsmith yountville. It is very solid which is what I wanted for something that is going to hold more than 150lbs of weight.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the apex three tier. price is right and free shipping is great. I have a mixed dumbbell collection. the large ones are the hexagonal rubber ones but of the smaller ones, 12's are round metal. 10's, 8's, 5's, 4's are plastic or neoprene coated. will they fit? I'm thinking they might be too short to span the depth of the rack. will medicine balls sit on the top rack?

Getting all off the floor would make vacuuming easier. we have two barbells but they roll against the wall with the plates and don't get in the way much.

Make sure you check. If you look at my picture (on the previous post) I have a pair of 5lb dumb bells that almost were to short. They really fit my hexagonal rubber dumb bells great and I have my weighted balls on the top rack but you have to re-position the racks to accomodate this. Hope this helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.