How do you measure your body fat percentage?

Sonnenschein

Cathlete
I'd like to get some idea of my body fat percentage, but depending on the method I use (calipers, Omron machine, various measurement formulas found on the internet) it comes out as anywhere between 18-28%. Too large a range to be useful. What methods do you all use and trust?

I use a full length mirror. That view tells me all I need to know.

Seriously, I have plastic calipers but it is very difficult to get your own reading. Also, on the areas it stipulates to measure may not be where someone's body fat may be greatest.

I have considered those scales that give you weight in pounds and body fat in percentage. Too expensive.

Just look in the mirror, the old fashioned way.

Marlene

I bought one of those bodyfat scales several months back. The range can be vastly different if you test it several times a day, relating to your hydration level. I would not personally buy another one. I like the skinfold calipers best. Several of us at the gym can use them. I think that more important than which method you chose, it is more important to be consistent every time you get measured. If you use the caliper pinch method, always have the same person pinch you using the same calipers, always do it at the same time of the day, and about the same point in your menstrual cycle.

I paid $10.00 and somebody who knew what she was doing take my reading at the Y. She pinched several different places. Since I've been doing the Lower Body Solution, I may go back and see if the new muscle in my legs has lowered it. Let a pro do it, and then you won't have to wonder if it's accurate.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-01 AT 06:49PM (Est)[/font][p]I have one of "those" scales...I must say, it gives me remarkably consistent results (and my husband).
Mind you, I'm not crazy about what it's telling me, but that's another story!
Ruth ;-)

RE: The mirror

I second the mirror method. It's too hard to live up to a number. I had the body calipers done at the gym and the reading was very high. My abdominal fat tends to pool around my numerous surgical scars, all right into the place that she measured.

The water submersion test would be the most accurate, but not worth the time and money for me.

:) Gretchen

Ruth:

I am glad that your scale is giving you accurate measurements.

Just out of curiousity, which model do you have? I have looked at them all and wondered which was best.

I still just use the mirror but one day, who knows, I may splurge for that scale, as long as someone has had success with it.

Marlene

Hi Marlene,
I have "The Ultimate Scale" by Tanita, which I got from QVC - it may have been a Today's Special at the time, can't remember, but I remember thinking the price was pretty good.
I also like that it gives me very consistent weight readings. You can move this scale all around the room or jump up and down on it all you want, the numbers stay the same! (sigh) :-rollen
Ruth

Thanks for the information, Ruth. There are so many scales out there and it is good to know one that has produced consistent accurate readings.

Jumping up and down? Moving the scale all around the room? Been there, done that. How about this one....if you don't like the poundage number, remove all clothing no matter how insignificant and take off earrings too. Don't forget rings and watch. We all know how these things can really skew the results, right? Hah.

The above antics represent the reason I don't weigh myself more than once a month.

Marlene

Hi Marlene,
Your post reminded me of something my nephew did a few years ago. He was on his high school wrestling team and was weighing in for a meet. He weighed with boxers, t-shirt and sox on and was over the weight limit for the category in which he was to compete.

First he took off the sox and t-shirt. Still a little over. Then he took of the boxers! Buck naked and still a little over. Then he EXHALED. MADE IT!! So he got to wrestle in his weight class.
-joy

The most trustworthy method is how your clothes fit.

I confess, however, that, overwhelmed with curiosity over a long period of time, I finally bought a set of calipers. I made my husband do the measurements, and I think he did a good job. However, the calculations, according to the instructions that came with the calipers, were shocking. NO WAY!!

I found a website that provided different arithmetic. The results from this were much more consistent with what common sense told me about my actual bodyfat. I also learned that with many women, the construction of the fat under the skin is such that you can't really get an accurate "pinch" (that is, skinfold) in the required areas--for example, the front of the thigh.

I put those calipers away and quit obsessing.

Thanks for the amusing story, Joy. It made me snicker.

I would be laughing harder right now except I can relate too much to weigh ins and removing everything to get a better number (however I do this in the privacy of my own bathroom).

But I will try the exhale move and see if I can't "lose" another pound or two that way.

Seriously, the above post says it all regarding not obsessing with numbers from calipers/scales, etc. Just look in the mirror and you will know if your weight/body fat is too much, too little or just right. Also, if your clothes are getting looser or tighter than can also guide you.

Thank you all! I have enjoyed (and can relate to) your responses so much. I'm still not sure what I'll end up doing here. Mirror and clothes fit are so sensible, but I'm new to being at a "normal" weight and don't yet have a good grip on exactly where (weight or fat level) this body would look and feel best; that's why I was hoping for some objective numbers help. --Karen

I've had some great laughs reading this thread! Of course we all know the most humorous things are the things we relate to ~ahem.
I agree the best way to measure these things is by how your clothes fit and how you feel. However, I like to be able to check my progress sometimes with actual numbers...I am the consummate journal keeper! But I don't obssess anymore, I just try to use the same equipment each time so as to be consistent.
There was a time I would have laughed at the exhale thing...and then I would have tried it!
;-) Ruth

I use the formula from Covert Bailey's Book "Ultimate Fit or Fat". He has used it on thousands of people and he says it correlates well with skin calipers and underwater weighing.

Here's the formula for women over 30: (in inches)
Hips + Upper thigh - (2 x calf) - Wrist = BF%

Where to measure:
Hips = widest part around hips and buttocks with feet ~4"apart
Upper thigh = widest part
Calf = mid-calf
Wrist = right above wrist bone (towards hand)

This might be more math than some are willing to do, but it basically measures the changes in fat in the hips and upper thighs.( I wonder how well it predicts %BF for women who are more apple shaped).

Anyways, just a few more numbers to play around with for those who like to measure and record. I don't think exhaling will affect the results :)

YasDB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.