How do you fit Yoga into your rotation

elsie3

Cathlete
Just a question for you yoga fans. I started Yoga last summer after my surgery. Starting the middle of last September, I've been doing a practice every day so I could learn it better and while I got down to my goal.

I've been cross-training with Bryan Kest and Eoin Finn. Here's what I've been doing weekly: Monday-Energize, Tuesday-Daily Dose of Bliss, Wednesday-Tone, Thursday-Magically Hips, Friday-Sweat, Saturday-Full Happiness routine.

I've taken extra workout time for me while I've been on a major push to reach my goal--I'm allllmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooossssssssstttttttt there except for the stubborn spots (still a little roll above the belly button and 2 half-avacados sitting on my hips--ugh!). But I digress. I'm planning on keeping this 2-3 hour a day workout schedule up until the end of February, but then I really need to get back to a regular life. After I get these dang stubborn spots off my bod, is one practice of yoga a week enough? I was thinking of having Wednesday be Yoga day.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Carol F

Carol, from what I've read at Videofitness where there are many yoga devotees, it's better to do a short yoga session everyday, or nearly everyday, than a single long session per week. Maybe you could do a very short session most days as an add-on to your non-yoga workouts & one long session per week. My yoga library has expanded rapidly as I've searched for short sessions that are appealing to me.

Having said that, I see progress even when I only attend 2 classes per week. I see more progress when I fit in those shorter sessions. But I'm a relative yoga rookie.

I see you're yet another Eoin Finn fan, I haven't gone there yet.

Debra

Hi Carol...I'm really starting to love yoga as well...I've got Rodney Yee Power Yoga Total Body and his Yoga for Athletes, Karen Voight's Yoga Focus (LOVE the stretch portion of this), and have just gotten Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness and David Swenson's Yoga Short Forms, both of which are just excellent...really can't decide which one I love more. I don't have any suggestions for trying to fit it all in...as a matter of fact, I'm like you and would like some suggestions as well! lol Starting to wish I didn't like so many different things...there's only so much we can fit into a week, right?... especially now, with the Hardcores coming! :)

I'm always trying to find more ways to fit yoga into my rotations without spending too much time exercising. I agree with Lisa that doing a little every day is better than doing a lot once a week, but some days I don't even have the extra time to do a short add-on.

Here are some things I've tried:

1. Doing a shorter (30 min rather than 60), but more intense cardio and adding 30 min of yoga.

2. Subbing yoga postures for the stretch in every workout plus doing one full yoga workout a week.

3. Doing a shorter weight workout (e.g. Pyramid Up or Down Only) and adding 30 min of yoga.

4. Between rotations (which contain some yoga), doing one or two weeks of nothing but yoga.

5. Making your 7-day week a 9-day week.

This last one has worked best for me. I don't always do it, but I'm glad when I do. Here are two threads I started regarding this:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=92562&mesg_id=92562&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=41206&mesg_id=41206&listing_type=search

If you come up with something that works for you, please let us know!

Thanks guys!

I think I'll go with a 30-minute add-on/day with a full routine once/week. The problem will be to decide which one to do. I just picked up a Rodney Yee at Sam's Club, so I'll have to try that one out, too. I have trouble because all the poses feel so good at the end. And since each practice has different poses, I feel "cheated" if I leave any out.

Oh well, life must go on.

Thanks everyone.

Carol F

I haven't figured out how to fit them in but it's heavenly when I do. I love Bryan Kest and Eoin's PY4H...the Hip routine feels amazing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.