How do you fight the winter blahs...

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
Ever since it got colder, all I want to do is stay in bed and not work out. My eating went to great, to down right horrible!

I was reading First Magazine, and one of the readers asked a question; How Can I Avoid Winter Gain?

Answer; You can easily replicate summer's slimming effects by supplementing with 5-HTP, an amino acid that the body converts into serotonin. And serotonin (which tends to wane in the winter since sunlight plays a role in it's production) has been proven to dramatically curb cravings and improve mood. To get the benefits, take 50 mg of 5-HTP (Such as Carlson 5-HTP Elite 50 mg, $9 for 60 tablets, at Iherb.com) twice daily. If cravings after 2-weeks or get stronger as the days get shorter, consider increasing your dose to four tablets daily.

Do you know if their is any truth to this. I am really considering purchasing.

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

www.picturetrail.com/fitness-momx2

I'd suggest getting outside as much as possible, in the sunlight. I don't know what your weather is like right now, but sunlight has been proven to improve people's moods, and I believe increase serotonin. I'd much prefer that to taking supplements. Good luck.

My sister lives on the East Coast and suffers from SADS or the "winter blues", she has gotten a sunlamp for her home and uses it from Nov to early April.
Myself, my home is all windows and gets alot of natural light. Working out actually keeps me going and easing off on pasta and fried foods. Plus, shoveling snow and downhill skiiing too.

I have had a problem with this for years. Every fall I "fall" into a funk. I lose interest in everything and sleep constantly. I gain weight and isolate myself from everyone. Every fall I end up on anti-depressants and in therapy. It had become rather debilitating. Finally last year I was diagnosed with SAD, I live in MN so there is not much sunlight in the winter.

The treatment is a rather innocuous looking lightbox. When I got it I thought "yeah, right". I have to say it is the best thing ever invented. I sit in front of it for 20-30 minutes each morning. I read, bead, meditate or journal in that time. It is my favorite time of the day. Here is the miracle, my symptoms are almost non-existant. I sleep normally, continue to enjoy all of my hobbies and have normal relationships. I am stunned at how much something so simple can dramatically change my life. Even though my lightbox was covered by health insurance I would gladly have paid out of pocket for such amazing and dramatic results.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Shayne

>I have had a problem with this for years. Every fall I
>"fall" into a funk. I lose interest in everything and sleep
>constantly. I gain weight and isolate myself from everyone.
>Every fall I end up on anti-depressants and in therapy. It
>had become rather debilitating. Finally last year I was
>diagnosed with SAD, I live in MN so there is not much sunlight
>in the winter.
>
>The treatment is a rather innocuous looking lightbox. When I
>got it I thought "yeah, right". I have to say it is the best
>thing ever invented. I sit in front of it for 20-30 minutes
>each morning. I read, bead, meditate or journal in that time.
> It is my favorite time of the day. Here is the miracle, my
>symptoms are almost non-existant. I sleep normally, continue
>to enjoy all of my hobbies and have normal relationships. I
>am stunned at how much something so simple can dramatically
>change my life. Even though my lightbox was covered by health
>insurance I would gladly have paid out of pocket for such
>amazing and dramatic results.
>
>I hope you find something that works for you.
>
>Shayne
I agree with the outside thing, but Shayne, where did you get your light box? It sounds great!!

I got my lightbox from a local medical supply store, they pretty much all carry them. You can search the internet on either lightbox or light therapy and find a ton of them. Mine is a desktop model that produces 10,000 lux (which is a rating of the amount of light the box produces). Depending on the lightbox you get they are around $200-$400, which is a lot less than I was spending on meds and therapy.

Shayne

>I got my lightbox from a local medical supply store, they
>pretty much all carry them. You can search the internet on
>either lightbox or light therapy and find a ton of them. Mine
>is a desktop model that produces 10,000 lux (which is a rating
>of the amount of light the box produces). Depending on the
>lightbox you get they are around $200-$400, which is a lot
>less than I was spending on meds and therapy.
>
>Shayne

Thank you!!

Can you make a brand recommendation? (What is yours?) I have been checking these out on the Internet and it's really tough to pick a model with no real experience with them...

Thanks!

I agree with Shannon. One of the things I absolutely adore about living in Colorado is the fact that even though it may be freezing out or there is snow on the ground, our days are usually bright and sunny. It's tough when it gets dark so early, but I find that getting outside for a little bit during the day always perks up my mood.

I find this so interesting I have never heard of this lightbox. When I feel the weather changing, it can just be the leaves blowing. i start to feel different, I get quiet. It's like my body is already preparing for the winter blues before it gets here. I live in Houston, Tx so we maybe wearing shorts on Xmas. But I can still feel the difference in the air and I just get weird. I am so glad you posted this I am going to get this light box and save myself alot of heartache. Thanks.........

I live in Mid-Michigan and we have a micro-climate that causes us to have fewer days of sun than the rest of the state and consequently, more cases of Season Affective Disorder. The university here has a special clinic for SAD, and yes, the treatment is sitting next to a lamp daily during the colder months. Minnesota has a similar situation. Turning on more lights in the house may also help - don't go for atmosphere with the dimmer lights. And, getting outside in the natural light as much as possible is also helpful, even if its for a walk at noonhour.

Deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.