How can you tell if it's "fat" or sagging skin?

dss62467

Cathlete
My abs look pretty darned good, if I must say so myself. The best they ever have. However, there is still a little bulge below my belly-button. How can you tell if that's fat that you can actually get rid of through exercise, or sagging skin from the stretching due to having a child?

RE: How can you tell if it's

I am in the same boat as you. My abs look pretty good, but I also have a little bulge. If I really suck in my stomach I have quite a bit of saggy skin(I have also had 2 children - 4 years and 17 months). It is gross to me. I would love to have a small tummy tuck.

Another one in the same boat. Two children, sag under bellybutton. I hope it is fat because at least you have the hope of getting rid of it. I hate that area of my belly. Looks gross. It has three bulging, giant stretch marks. I think there is fat there too.
Sorry, this doesn't answer the question, but at least you know you are not alone.

Cinnamon, my kids are just about the same age as yours, 19 months and a 4 year old.

My bulge doesn't bother me anymore, I do have lots of room for improvement. When I bend over, I can see sagging skin and faded silvery stretch marks. I think I have come to terms that I had 2 kids, that's life. In clothes and even a higher cut bathing suit it's not noticeable.

My husbands favorite body part is a flat toned belly but I don't think he is going to fork over the cash for a tummy tuck, and even if he did I wouldn't do it. Talk about pain! Recovery time is way too long. Anyway-I think I can get my abs lookin' pretty darn good without surgery, not perfect, but good.

Lori

Thankfully, I didn't get any stretch marks (but I also stopped at one child). Oh well...it's not like I'm planning to go out in public in a bikini!

That stubborn area below the belly button is often called the "pooch"

Its not so much FAT but SLACK MUSCLE - mainly caused by the skin stretching during pregnantcy or someone who has lost ALOT of weight. Unfortunatly, for the most severe cases, surgury is the only answer, but for the common folk, cardio and concentrating on lower abdominal exercises do help
some.

ACCEPTING you have a little bulge ALSO helps, as does reminding your children, that that bulge represents the pain and suffering you went through to have them, so therefore they shouldnt argue about washing the dishes!

:)

Argh! My belly and the tops of my thighs look like they got sprayed by the stretchmark-paint gun - and that's only from one pregnancy. Mind you, the baby was big, my belly measured larger than average (because she was so big!), and I don't have very good elasticity in my skin. I got stretch marks when I hit puberty, in my breasts and on my thighs/hips - and I'm only a B-cup, at best! Four years after having my child, gaining a lot of extra weight post-pregnancy, and losing it all again, my belly sags. It's the worst when I'm doing planks, and although I'm holding everything tight as a drum, I've got this skin sagging from my belly. My solution? Wear full-length workout tops, and never do planks in public.

Sandra

-Wear full-length workout tops, and never do planks in public.-

You crack me up! I hate planks even at home ;-)

I have a ten month old and have the same thing. When I stand up you can't really tell (I have minimal stretch marks, but they ARE there), but when I bend over there is some loose skin that hangs. I am hoping that I can still get rid of that though. Although I was not in nearly the shape Cathe was when she had her first baby I remember her saying that it took her a year to get her waist back to pre pregnancy size. I'm shooting for that.

Also, I had a C-Section. I have heard that it is harder to get your stomach back in shape after that. Is that true? And if so, why when the incision is made so low?

Katie

Hi Katie,

I also had a c-section--2 of them. With the incision you have and most people have, (I have it too). They don't cut the muscle. They cut the skin, cut the fat, cut the fascia covering the abs, and then they seperate the abs manually, they never cut them. Then there is the uterus. They cut the uterus of course and get the baby out. So with the "bikini incision" like we have the abs were never cut. Thank God because it would have been much much more painful!! If it wasn't painful enough.
:) Lori

Count me in:-( Not one thing I really wanted to be included in!:eek: Could be worse though:)
I was 8 monthes into my pregnacy before I had stretch marks on my belly.I got them on my boobs pretty early though.I was only 16 when I got pregnate to, which doesn't help.I probably wasn't even finished growing myself.They didn't bother me on my boobs b/c no one sees them anyway.But I was not happy when I thought I could never wear a bikini again.
My marks have faded but I think that is where my little pooch comes from.I don't even really notice anymore b/c you can't see it in pants or jeans.If I grab the lose skin (while sitting) it looks as if you could cut it off.But if I went to a Dr he would think that I was nuts.
I think there is hope though.B/C my belly has been flat since having my chid(not at the moment)When I really concentrate on my diet and working out,it seems pretty good.Also when I have been sick (stomach flu or hungover:p )my belly goes flat then which sort of makes me think that there could be a little fat there.You wouldn't think that strecthed skin would disappear just b/c I was sick?
Anyway,I guess if your diet is not 100% clean ,then you may need to do that.Also add some interval running as well.Chances are no one sees your belly pooch.People think that my belly is flat and I just take the compliment and go with it.We see ourselves totally different then other people see us.
Lori:)

Yep,

My sixteen year old says that when I am in Push-up position I look like our old female Lab who has had a few litters....hmmm, I also fit pretty well in her size 2 jeans, guess we can't have it all. ;)

A really great book, "Operating Instructions" by Anne Lamott, she mentions that postpartum when she lies on her side, her stomach lies politely beside her, like a puppy.

That always cracks me up

Lipo Did It For Me!

Lipsuction did it for me -- I am 50 years old with a 21 year old daughter. I had a sag I could not get rid of no matter how much I dieted and worked out.

I had liposuction 5 weeks ago and I can't believe the difference.

For the first time in my life - I have a flat stomach!

It's expensive and rather inconvenient, but it is the best money I've ever spent for myself!

I thought I needed a tummy tuck too, but if you are near or at your normal weight, lipo is all you will need. When I asked my plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck, he said I did not need one.

>Also when I have
>been sick (stomach flu or hungover:p )my belly goes flat then
>which sort of makes me think that there could be a little fat
>there.You wouldn't think that strecthed skin would disappear
>just b/c I was sick?

The lower abdomen can also look fuller from having contents in the bowels. When you're sick or hungover, you may not be eating much, or may have diarrehea (sp?), which would empty your bowels and make your tummy look flatter. You may also be dehydrated, which would make you look a bit leaner overall.

Cheers,
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.